Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra costs in self build

Options
  • 18-08-2020 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, just wondering about what extra costs people had when doing a self build.

Here is my situation so far. Land is transferred over into my own thats all done and paid for.

Planning permission has been obtained fully and all plans have been done and finalised and again all done and paid for.

What other extra costs do people entail stamp duty is it 1% on the cost of the land?

Just going starting in the next while and want to see what peoples other extra costs hidden fees they entailed.

Thanks everyone,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I can't remember the specifics of the stamp duty but I know I had to pay a certain % above 1% and then once I had "broken ground" I was able to apply for a refund of a chunk of it, which was straightforward.

Council contributions. This can vary wildly from county to county. Could be anywhere from ~3k to ~25k! Hope you don't live in Meath/Kildare/Dublin...

Water connection fees. Minimum 2.3k (standard connection).

Sewerage connection (if connecting to mains)

ESB connection - 2.6k.

Legal fees.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Construction drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Think it was close to 20k for us.
    Council contributions
    Engineer fees
    ESB connection
    Well and pump were done separately to contract

Cant remember the rest.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Construction drawings?

Should be part of your architect fee, I know it’s not even mentioned as a separate item by my architect just part of the fee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Should be part of your architect fee, I know it’s not even mentioned as a separate item by my architect just part of the fee.

Depends.
    The OP mentions planning is in place, nothing about tender drawings and Prelim BER.

I lodge planning apps weekly and Construction drawings is a totally separate contract and will involve an engineer and BER consultant to move onto the next step.

Just wanted to make sure the OP is aware that a set is required.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Harper91

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I can't remember the specifics of the stamp duty but I know I had to pay a certain % above 1% and then once I had "broken ground" I was able to apply for a refund of a chunk of it, which was straightforward.

Council contributions. This can vary wildly from county to county. Could be anywhere from ~3k to ~25k! Hope you don't live in Meath/Kildare/Dublin...

ESB connection - 2.6k.

Legal fees.

Myself and parnter will be building on family land in kildare in in around a year or two . Why did you say hope you dont live in Meath/Kildare/Dublin

What would be the most expensive hiddin cost of building ?

Would you use the mortgage from the bank to pay for most of this , or is it better to save separately for ,

Legal fees
    ESB connection
    Sewerage connection
    Water connection

Harper91 wrote: »
    Myself and parnter will be building on family land in kildare in in around a year or two . Why did you say hope you dont live in Meath/Kildare/Dublin

Enormous county (or city if applicable) council contributions, relative to other parts of the country. E.g. Galway ~3k. Dublin (Fingal) ~20k.

Construction drawings, as mentioned, would be a fairly significant cost. In my case it was bundled along with the engineering supervision of the build, site visits, sign offs of the various stages, etc. I think it cost about 30% more than the planning phase.

Once building starts and you don’t hit something unexpected below ground, your biggest potential cost will be “shifting sands”! Changing your mind on some aspect of it, adding extras, finishes etc.

Depends.
    The OP mentions planning is in place, nothing about tender drawings and Prelim BER.

I lodge planning apps weekly and Construction drawings is a totally separate contract and will involve an engineer and BER consultant to move onto the next step.

My architect is also my engineer so that probably hides the change over to some degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Harper91

Enormous county (or city if applicable) council contributions, relative to other parts of the country. E.g. Galway ~3k. Dublin (Fingal) ~20k.

Construction drawings, as mentioned, would be a fairly significant cost. In my case it was bundled along with the engineering supervision of the build, site visits, sign offs of the various stages, etc. I think it cost about 30% more than the planning phase.

Once building starts and you don’t hit something unexpected below ground, your biggest potential cost will be “shifting sands”! Changing your mind on some aspect of it, adding extras, finishes etc.

A family friend is a retired Architect, will be doing the drawings for us we have pictures of houses that we have come across to get ideas of what we like little bits from different house builds .

There is 42 acres , 21 acres being left to us . Her father built a house on the land around 10 years ago then sold it as far as I'm aware they didnt have trouble with anything unexpected under ground .

Her father will be doing the foundation for us.

I'm just wondering if the planning will be straight forward as last time. Because last house built on the land was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

You'll pay 6% when purchasing the site as it will be treated as a commercial transaction.
    You can claim back 4% of the 6% once you start building. So the net cost to you is 2%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Other costs you may not have already considered are

Driveway (Council are expensive if paving of a public path is required)
    Landsaping/Paving
    Boundary fence/wall
    Solicitor fees
    BER prelim
    Engineer (if architect doesn't cover structural design)
    QS (Optional)

dubrov wrote: »
    You'll pay 6% when purchasing the site as it will be treated as a commercial transaction.
    You can claim back 4% of the 6% once you start building. So the net cost to you is 2%.

It’s 7.5% now since the last budget and you can claim back 11/15 of it which means you pay a little over 2% once you break ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Depends.

Hi there, yes iv obtained the above sorry didnt mention it in orginal post.

ESB connection - 2.6k.

Legal fees.

Hi no i dont like in Kildare/Meath im in Kerry so hoping wont be too costly. its crazy the other costs you would not really think of when doing it. Do they council just issue you the contribution when you start the build?

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi no i dont like in Kildare/Meath im in Kerry so hoping wont be too costly. its crazy the other costs you would not really think of when doing it. Do they council just issue you the contribution when you start the build?

The fee owed will be stated in your final grant of planning permission.

It will be one of the clauses of your planning - before you commence works you must enter into an agreement with the local authority to pay it, whether that's all in one lump sum or instalments, thats between you and them.

At the end of the build, your engineer/solicitor will require proof that you've paid it, it'll be a condition on signing off on the house.

As others have said above, they've reminded me how the stamp duty works. I paid 6% of the cost of the site. Once build commenced I was able to request a refund of 4% of that, so the net cost to me was 2% of site cost. The refund process is simple, its all done online with revenue.

The fee owed will be stated in your final grant of planning permission.

It will be one of the clauses of your planning - before you commence works you must enter into an agreement with the local authority to pay it, whether that's all in one lump sum or instalments, thats between you and them.

At the end of the build, your engineer/solicitor will require proof that you've paid it, it'll be a condition on signing off on the house.

As others have said above, they've reminded me how the stamp duty works. I paid 6% of the cost of the site. Once build commenced I was able to request a refund of 4% of that, so the net cost to me was 2% of site cost. The refund process is simple, its all done online with revenue.

Thanks Joe, Much appreciated, i have it somewhere so as iv planning all granted and hoping to start soon. Is there any problem with a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Habata

Is there any good guides to Irish self builds?

Advertisement