Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpath/walkway

Options
  • 18-08-2020 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

I'm looking to make a short footpath/walkway about 15 meters long & 1 meter wide. To keep it clean I'm thinking of using mypex first and then 50mm of stone/gravel then 20mm 804. haven't done this before & looking for advice.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I have gravel paths around my garden. You could have a brick edge to keep tidy save alongside a lawn. I have not bothered with Mypex. Any weeds or seedlings are easily removed. Over the years I have topped them up a bit with new stone chippings. I got rid of a small lawn and gravelled over too. I dug out decent soil and filled in with any stones from garden then topped with gravel to a decent depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I done what your describing about a month ago. Weed membrane 50mm hardcore then 30 top stone. I was and am still 50/50 about the weed membrane. Weed will grow in it I've already found a few tiny ones . The one tool I highly recommend is a wacker get the hardecore well hammered into place. This will help stop the bottom layer mixing with the top layer. Especially important if they are a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

Anyone with old carpet? You can't beat it as a weed membrane, stuff doesn't root in it the same away it will in membrane eventually, pile side down with a layer of gravel and you're sorted for years.

Advertisement