Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midrange Gaming PC

Options
  • 18-08-2020 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I was hoping to get some feedback on my proposed PC build, looking to build a machine to play games casually, may even delve into MS flight Sim. Budget is approx 800 euro.
    Here's what i came up with, coming in just under budget:

Intel Core i5-9400F 6x 2.90GHz (BX80684I59400F)
    ASUS TUF B360M-Plus Gaming (90MB0WN0-M0EAY0)
    MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS OC 6 GB GDDR6 (V375-279R)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3.000MHz (CMK16GX4M2D3000C16)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 1000GB Serial ATA,Serial ATA II,Serial ATA III (ST1000DM010)
    ASUS DRW-24D5MT Internal DVD Super Multi DL Black (90DD01Y0-B20010)
    600W be quiet! System Power 9 (BN247)
    Case: Apevia X-Cruiser2 Black Front eSATA & USB - Window (X-CRUISER2-BK)(BxHxT: 186x418x520mm)
    Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 (ACALP00027A)
    Microsoft Windows 10 64Bit Professional installed & Key ENGLISH (NO CD/DVD)
    120mm Default Case FAN (Green LED)
    120mm Default Case FAN (Green LED)

Appreciate any comments, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What exactly is the budget? 9400F is not a good CPU to get at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Where are you getting this form? That case is ugly and really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JACK BE NIMBLE

What exactly is the budget? 9400F is not a good CPU to get at this point.

Budget is 800 euro

Homelander wrote: »
    Where are you getting this form? That case is ugly and really old.

Getting that from Ankerman, not too concerned about the aesthetics of the PC, more interested in what you think of the specs for 800 euro. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you'd be better off buying from ccl computers or awd-it if you want a prebuilt
    also will that case take an internal dvd drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't recommend that machine from Ankermann for following reasons:

6-core CPU without hyperthreading - bad buy for upcoming generation of games. Ryzen 2600/3600 is around same price but better futureproofing.
    No SSD - an absolute must now IMHO.
    MSI Ventus GPUs are known to be quite loud.
    DVD drive is possibly unnecessary - I haven't used a disc in a decade.
    Case is ANCIENT - it still lists eSATA (a dead format) & has no USB3.

Also, be aware that Ankermann are in Germany & thus their listed prices are incl. 16% VAT - taxman is gonna want another 5% here.

Anyway, this configuration would make slightly more sense if buying from them: http://www.ankermann.com/desktop-pc-configurator.htm?rc=fa7a4375ce72597589f820e00e1a082c

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is a good deal for prebuilt, comes in under 800 eur after editing it

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Graphics GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
    Storage 512GB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD

You can knock a bit more getting a Kingston SSD instead, you'll notice no real difference.

Edit: Actually I would almost prefer this. Little over 800, and you get bumped to an RTX 2060 after editing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The reason I mentioned the case is exactly what KO.Kiki mentioned. It's ancient. Not just an "old" case, but literally one from about 15 years ago, it seems completely bizarre that a retailer would even offer it new.

Is Ankermann genuinely still offering that case?! It really makes no sense.

To answer your question, it's not good value. The options mentioned above by cherryghost are better for the same price.

RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

You can knock a bit more getting a Kingston SSD instead, you'll notice no real difference.

Edit: Actually I would almost prefer this. Little over 800, and you get bumped to an RTX 2060 after editing

Excellent, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Skerries wrote: »
    you'd be better off buying from ccl computers or awd-it if you want a prebuilt
    also will that case take an internal dvd drive?

On a sidenote, do awd-it deliver to Ireland. Their website says only UK.

• Advertisement

On a sidenote, do awd-it deliver to Ireland. Their website says only UK.

Yep, 13 pound flat delivery fee last time I used them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm after something similar myself, and this looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

However, I know there's newer hardware likely coming along in month or two - am I better off waiting for the price of the current gen stuff to drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Schorpio wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm after something similar myself, and this looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

However, I know there's newer hardware likely coming along in month or two - am I better off waiting for the price of the current gen stuff to drop?

Don't think we're going to see much movement in the entry level / midrange space for a while. What you might get is a deal on a second hand card like a 5700.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

You need Intel 9700k also SSD drive or nvme drive

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    You need Intel 9700k also SSD drive or nvme drive

Price is good on 9700k atm but there is almost no upgradeability. At least with Ryzen you can go all the way to 16 cores in current gen (and possible more in next gen)

Advertisement