Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ikea Smart Lighting and Alexa

• 18-08-2020 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've a query in relation to Ikea smart lighting. I'm fairly invested in the Alexa ecosystem, but I've been looking at some Ikea smart lighting for my kitchen. If I bought a Tradfri Gateway, and LED worktop lighting from the OMLOPP range, can I then control these though Alexa? I know I'd need a driver, and presumably a steering device also? Or is it just the Tradfri range that can be controlled through Alexa?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

There are a couple of Tradfri drivers that will drive Omloop lights, a 15w version and a 30w. You will also need a gateway and a remote to set up the paring. You'll also need the app on your phone to set up the Alexa connection I have them in my kitchen and they work well with Google Home at least, I haven't used Alexa.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭D12C

That's great - thank you. So once you have all the necessary elements, there's no issue controlling the Omlopp range by voice recognition/app etc with Google Home in your instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Nope, it works great. The driver for Omloop is called "cupboard", a Tradfri bulb over the sink is called "Sink", the tradfri bulb over the table is called "table" and the Floalt panel in the centre is called "main". They are all grouped in a riom called "Kitchen". I can turn on or off each light individually, eg "Ok Google, turn on the sink light" or I can turn them all off or on by saying "Turn off the kitchen lights.". I also have a dimmer for the Floalt panel under the cupboard, and a the cupboard and sink lights connected to another dimmer under the cupboard, and finally a remote control for the multi-colour over the table. I can also set the brightness level via voice assistant.

By the way, all of this is done in the Google Home app. I only ever use the IKEA Smart Home app to add new devices as it can be quite frustrating to try and set up multiple devices in one room. Until recently, you could only have one control device in a room on the IKEA app.

R

PS. Looking back on this post it sounds horrible complicated; but in practice it is not. It even has a particularly high spousal approval rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭D12C

Nope, that all sounds good - cheers for the info. Much appreciated!

Advertisement