Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions Tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Going back to the captaincy question I don't even think it's a question of why AWJ should get it but rather give a good reason why it should be taken off him.

But it just dawned me, I could see AWJ actually asking not to have it and taking a step back as VC.

Have they not changed it to a tour captain with a test captain to be picked the week of the first test?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

There are really only three main contenders, aren’t there?

AWJ, Itoje, and Farrell. I wouldn’t include Sexton in the discussion as some have.

I think there’s merit in sticking with history and having a forward as captain in South Africa.

There would also be some obvious historic significance in having a black guy lead the side.

Either AWJ or Itoje for me, with AWJ probably getting the nod for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Have they not changed it to a tour captain with a test captain to be picked the week of the first test?

Yeah that's probably correct. Sure we had POM captaining the first test last time.

Twitter rumours

Jac Morgan and Zebo selected. Priestland too

Maybe someone has had too many cola bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

English media reporting Simmonds and Daly both in. Tuilagi was the toss of a coin in the final discussions. Only Saracens contender to be left out is Billy V.

20/16 split which means versatility is going to be key in the backs which will count against the likes of Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Rumoured squad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Rumoured squad

Vunipola in brackets?

Some conflict with English media, who reported Elliot Daly as an inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Vunipola in brackets?

Sutherland has a shoulder injury and it's reported he'll be racing to get fit for the tour so would make sense that vunipola is named as contingency. I think they've done similar before

• Registered Users Posts: 30 taffey

Sutherland injured,,Vunipola to step in if so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Maybe a lack of options but Ringrose be very fortunate to make it based on Ireland & Leinster form over last twelve months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I'd be fairly peeved if I were CJ, and Simmonds was selected ahead of me.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Maybe a lack of options but Ringrose be very fortunate to make it based on Ireland & Leinster form over last twelve months.

Was one of our best players last season until his jaw injury in October and had to have two surgeries on it, he's had minimal game time in fairness since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Who's aboard the Keith Earls train? Praying he gets the call. Had an brilliant 6N this year. Deserves it. Better option than VDM and Adams imo. I'd have him with May, Watson, LRZ, Williams and Hogg.

Vunipola in brackets?

Yeah I just saw it there about 20 minutes ago. Maybe there are questions surrounding Sutherland's fitness. So many bits and pieces floating about so hard to know who said Daly was in.

I'd be fairly peeved if I were CJ, and Simmonds was selected ahead of me.

I think he could feel very hard done by. Going by the stats that were linked earlier he was the best eight in the 6 Nations. He also covers blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Gatland must want to pull a fast one on Jones by picking Simmonds. Don’t see how he doesn’t get shut down vs the Boks just like he did in 2018 vs Ireland and vs Leinster a few weeks ago. Worry about ball carrying options with the supposed back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I’d look at the Irish runners and riders as follows:

Definites:

Henshaw
    Murray
    Sexton
    Ryan
    Furlong

Probables:

Ringrose
    Stander
    Beirne
    Henderson

Possibles:

Keenan
    Aki
    Porter
    Kelleher
    Earls

I can’t believe that there are people questioning whether Itoje will be selected.

I'd say Beirne is more of a definite than Sexton.

Also I'd say Porter is definitely a probable, if not a definite.

Henderson is more of a definite than Ryan I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hate that there's leaks. The previous announcements IIRC were spoiler-free (captain aside) and were great as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Very interested in peoples opinions on this. Obviously we are all talking about who makes the squad for now. The rumoured squad to me look poor in comparison to previous squads.

I would make South Africa big favs to win the series. The lions are odds on!!! I cannot believe this. It will be the toughest tour ever for the players. This could easily be a 3-0 South Africa.

• Advertisement

I hate that there's leaks. The previous announcements IIRC were spoiler-free (captain aside) and were great as a result.

The leaks are usually bull****. Wouldn't pay much attention.

Even stranger that players like Genge and Marler have said that they weren't on the shortlist at all before the announcement.

Usually players are completely stum on that sort of thing. But it sort of sums up this lions tour as a whole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Urrgghhh...thats worse than a spoiler for a good TV show. Hopefully its just made up.

bilston wrote: »
    Urrgghhh...thats worse than a spoiler for a good TV show. Hopefully its just made up.

It's made up.

4 years ago, everyone was reporting that Jamie Roberts was in and Joseph was out. They were all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

TRC10 wrote: »
    It's made up.

4 years ago, everyone was reporting that Jamie Roberts was in and Joseph was out. They were all wrong.

Am I right in thinking the players don't even know? They find out when we do?

Be pretty bad form if it was leaked, and it could only come from the management.

So yeah you're probably right.

bilston wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the players don't even know? They find out when we do?

Be pretty bad form if it was leaked, and it could only come from the management.

So yeah you're probably right.

Yeah they don't know, they watch the announcement like us.

There are probably 6 people on earth who know the squad right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Would be very surprised if CJ doesn't travel

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

leakyboots wrote: »

It’d be a fitting way for CJ to bow out, would love to see him get the nod.

It’d save the Lions money too…CJ’s not coming back so just a one-way flight

aloooof wrote: »
    It’d be a fitting way for CJ to bow out, would love to see him get the nod.

100%

It would be a great "f*ck you" to South Africa playing backrow against them for the Lions when they told him he was too small to play there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'd be surprised if Navidi goes ... personally think he's a shadow of the player from 2 or 3 years ago

• Advertisement

Having thought about it, I think theres a chance Elliot Daly gets in at that 4th winger slot. Purely because versatility will be so important if theres only 16 backs and he can play full back, wing or centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Taking all things into account, particularly Gatland himself, I would only actually put a single Irish player down as a definite and thats Furlong.

Both Beirne and Henshaw certainly should go, but that depends on combinations and strategy.

Neither Sexton nor Murray are better than 50/50 for me and I actually feel Sexton will miss out altogether in favour of more versatile players and players in better form, not to mention fit.

I don't think Earls offers more than his rivals for a spot, so won't go. Likewise Herring and Kelleher. A year ago you'd say James Ryan was nailed on, but he's out of sorts.

Will any Irish backrow eclipse an English or Welsh player in Gatland's eyes? Our very best ones aren't fit and available.

McBryde will fight for Leinstermen and that could advantage Ringrose, but frankly Keenan deserves the pick more.

The last one with a chance is Henderson, but I don't think it'll be him AND Beirne in any event.

So, I'm saying 4 Irish to travel in the first squad. Perhaps one or two to be brought out in the event of injuries.

By this time tomorrow I think there will be much introspection taking place in Irish rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What time is the announcement tomorrow?

mystic86 wrote: »
    What time is the announcement tomorrow?

12 Noon.

Streamed on the Lions website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Picking Care and Simmonds would be a big part in why I find it difficult to route for the Lions year on year, forget Ali Price and the likes of Stander who had excellent six nations but instead pick two players not considered good enough for their country just because they impress against the likes of Worcester and Newcastle...It makes a mockery of the whole thing and I honestly will lose a lot of respect for Gatland if he sells out to the media and picks these two.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Taking all things into account, particularly Gatland himself, I would only actually put a single Irish player down as a definite and thats Furlong.

Both Beirne and Henshaw certainly should go, but that depends on combinations and strategy.

Neither Sexton nor Murray are better than 50/50 for me and I actually feel Sexton will miss out altogether in favour of more versatile players and players in better form, not to mention fit.

I don't think Earls offers more than his rivals for a spot, so won't go. Likewise Herring and Kelleher. A year ago you'd say James Ryan was nailed on, but he's out of sorts.

Will any Irish backrow eclipse an English or Welsh player in Gatland's eyes? Our very best ones aren't fit and available.

McBryde will fight for Leinstermen and that could advantage Ringrose, but frankly Keenan deserves the pick more.

The last one with a chance is Henderson, but I don't think it'll be him AND Beirne in any event.

So, I'm saying 4 Irish to travel in the first squad. Perhaps one or two to be brought out in the event of injuries.

By this time tomorrow I think there will be much introspection taking place in Irish rugby.

Henshaw is a definite starter, if he was Welsh or English we’d say the same because of him being Irish we try to overthink a way to not pick him in an attempt to be impartial.

Murray will definitely travel, it’s just a question of weather he starts or not but he and Williams are certainties to travel.

With McBryde involved it wouldn’t surprise me if someone left field like even Kelleher travels, he’s as good as any of the hookers favored but may miss out due to lack of experience.

unplayable wrote: »
    Very interested in peoples opinions on this. Obviously we are all talking about who makes the squad for now. The rumoured squad to me look poor in comparison to previous squads.

I would make South Africa big favs to win the series. The lions are odds on!!! I cannot believe this. It will be the toughest tour ever for the players. This could easily be a 3-0 South Africa.

Well SA haven’t played a test in almost 2 years come the test series.

Larbre34 wrote: »

That far too conservative.

Murray is absolutely nailed-on, so to claim he’s 50/50 kind of blows a hole in your argument.

Robbie Henshaw is almost a dead cert.

We’ll have a decent contingent of at least 8 I would estimate, probably more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Will be interesting to see how accurate the leaks and reports are. If true, then it would seem that Gatland has been heavily influenced by the English media and has weighted the English Premiership above the Champions Cup and in some cases the 6 Nations.

The situation with the Scots was to be expected. In a 36 man squad (if it is indeed 36) it looks like there will be a few token selections to appease Townsend, but given that these players have no realistic prospect of starting test matches, it only serves to weaken the depth of an already slimmed down squad even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

leakyboots wrote: »

It would be beyond ridiculous if he isn’t picked. He’s a great player and it’d be the perfect way for him to bow out.

• Advertisement

That far too conservative.

Murray is absolutely nailed-on, so to claim he’s 50/50 kind of blows a hole in your argument.

Robbie Henshaw is almost a dead cert.

We’ll have a decent contingent of at least 8 I would estimate, probably more.

I’d agree with this.

I don’t understand why people are so determined that more of our lads won’t go or don’t deserve to go.

As a team we haven’t been at our best it’s true but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been some incredible individual performances.

I would definitely tip Sexton, Murray, Henshaw, Furlong, Beirne, Henderson, Stander as definitely getting on the plane.

It would be beyond ridiculous if he isn’t picked. He’s a great player and it’d be the perfect way for him to bow out.

Gatland doesn't do sentiment.

I’d agree with this.

I don’t understand why people are so determined that more of our lads won’t go or don’t deserve to go.

As a team we haven’t been at our best it’s true but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been some incredible individual performances.

I would definitely tip Sexton, Murray, Henshaw, Furlong, Beirne, Henderson, Stander as definitely getting on the plane.

36 players go, so 9 is “Level Par”, but then the Scots are crap, so an equal share is even more than 9.

South African pals of mine are convinced Aki will go, which would surprise me.

I think we’ll get 11…Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Murray, Sexton, Stander, Beirne, Ryan, Henderson, Furlong, and Porter

Of course he does!

Do you not remember 2013 in Sydney when…

I’ll get my coat!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He doesn't, but for me CJ deserves to be there on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Gatland couldn’t care less if it would be a nice way for CJ to finish up. Personally I’d be more surprised if he was on the plane then not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

36 players go, so 9 is “Level Par”, but then the Scots are crap, so an equal share is even more than 9.

South African pals of mine are convinced Aki will go, which would surprise me.

I think we’ll get 11…Henshaw, Ringrose, Earls, Murray, Sexton, Stander, Beirne, Ryan, Henderson, Furlong, and Porter

If you think Ireland are gonna get 11 players picked this is going to be a very frustrating day for you I believe.

It’s not just about sentiment though. CJ deserves to be there on performance and merit. Those Gatland does do.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My squad

Hogg
    DVDM
    Watson
    LRZ
    L Williams
    Daly
    Ringrose
    Henshaw
    Foxy
    Slade
    Farrell
    Sexton
    Biggar
    Murray
    Davies
    Price

Mako
    Healy
    W jones
    LCD
    owens
    George
    Porter
    Furlong
    Sinckler
    Itoje
    AWJ
    Ryan
    Gray
    Beirne
    Curry
    Navidi
    Tipuric
    Watson
    Faletau
    Stander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Irish players that I see will travel are Furlong, Porter, Beirne, Ryan, outside chance of CJ being on the plane, Murray, Ringrose and Keenan as a bolter. I think Sexton being out with concussion related injuries might have him staying at home.

I'd love to see Earls get the nod but that's sentiment on my side.

Edit to add Henshaw

Advertisement