Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lions Tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

With vaccination coming on stream now, why couldn't all the touring players be vaccinated before the tour?
    Whatever about no crowds, once the players are vaccinated what's the problem with it going ahead?
    Is there any reason the players wouldn't be able to get vaccinated before the summer?

a) very hard to justify vaccinating sportsmen ahead of police, teachers etc, never mind health care workers
    b) they might be fine, but it hasn't been proven that the vaccine actually stops you passing it on. Transmission is as much of an issue as an individual's health, if not more so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

There’s very little money in that. The Lions makes a truckload of cash for the local union. No fans means no cash.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/british-and-irish-lions-committed-to-staging-a-%27traditional-tour-of-south-africa%27/636327
    British and Irish Lions chairman Jason Leonard says it may take until April to make a final decision on the tour to South Africa.

Leonard says the board remains committed to staging a “traditional tour of South Africa” this summer but the final decision may have to wait up to two months.

The former British and Irish Lion spoke about the tour at the relaunch of the Front Row Club, a fundraising platform for his charity The Atlas Foundation and was quoted by the Telegraph.

“It is all fluid, there could be a decision in one next week, there could be one in four, six or eight weeks’ time,” said Leonard

“There is nothing on the table at this moment in time where we are saying ‘this is what we need to do’.

“We are still working with all involved to give ourselves the best option of hopefully trying to provide a traditional Lions tour – at least as much as a traditional Lions tour as we possibly can. Obviously, it is not a traditional year so a traditional Lions tour could well be impossible to deliver."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The Titanic is sinking and Jason Leonard is using a colander to bail out the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

“There is nothing on the table at this moment in time where we are saying ‘this is what we need to do’.

Bull****. There is zero chance of having B&I fans in SA this year. At least make a call on that so those of who have already paid for a trip can start getting our money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

"South Africa in shock after AstraZeneca vaccine rollout halted"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55999678

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

And in other news, water is wet and grass is green..
    Of course it's unsafe and the very fact it hasn't been postponed already is stupid in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

And in other news, water is wet and grass is green..
    Of course it's unsafe and the very fact it hasn't been postponed already is stupid in the extreme.

It's an opinion piece and not news....how anyone can think the tour can still go ahead is beyond me. Is dead for 2021 anyway.

Well it’s not dead per se.

The prospect of fans being there is dead.

It’ll either be played this summer in empty stadiums or postponed until 2022.

The other options such as playing it here, in Australia, or in Japan just aren’t a runner.

• Advertisement

Well it’s not dead per se.

The prospect of fans being there is dead.

It’ll either be played this summer in empty stadiums or postponed until 2022.

The other options such as playing it here, in Australia, or in Japan just aren’t a runner.

It's dead...can't be played in 2022 as the calendar is already full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just play the test matches.

It's dead...can't be played in 2022 as the calendar is already full

Yes it can.

The Lions is a financial juggernaut and the Unions are all strapped for cash.

Ireland, as an example, would happily go to New Zealand with some of their frontline guys if they’re paid for the privilege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yes it can.

The Lions is a financial juggernaut and the Unions are all strapped for cash.

Ireland, as an example, would happily go to New Zealand with some of their frontline guys if they’re paid for the privilege.

As it stands the lions selection will have very very little impact on Ireland.

As it stands the lions selection will have very very little impact on Ireland.

Indeed.

At the moment, in terms of dead certs you’d probably only say Henshaw and Ryan.

Realistically, Healy and Furlong should go if fit. Henderson did well in 2017. If Murray and Sexton find form, maybe. Ringrose maybe. Someone like Keenan could be a bolter. Maybe Stockdale if fit and in form. Stander maybe? Van der Flier?

Beirne is Irelands only dead cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Henshaw is absolutely nailed on

Beirne is Irelands only dead cert.

Ah come on.

Ryan is in the Test XV for most pundits and fans.

And Henshaw will travel.

Ah come on.

Ryan is in the Test XV for most pundits and fans.

And Henshaw will travel.

Maybe, but as things stand Beirne is a dead cert travel.

Ryan, henshaw, Doris, CJ, Murray all have a decent chance of making the plane once their fitness plays ball over the next few weeks.

Maybe, but as things stand Beirne is a dead cert travel.

Ryan, henshaw, Doris, CJ, Murray all have a decent chance of making the plane once their fitness plays ball over the next few weeks.

Ryan?

As in James Ryan?

• Advertisement

Ryan?

As in James Ryan?

Well Hardly Gerry.

Well Hardly Gerry.

Lottie or Bonnie would probably force their way onto the plane with Barry Egan of the Sunday Independent cheering them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't think James Ryan is the nailed on test starter people think he is, if tour even happens.
    I wouldn't put him on another level to most of our forwards to be honest. Good player but wouldn't consider him massively better than Henderson or Beirne really.
    Then you've Itoje, AWJ, Grey to compete with for Lions.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I don't think James Ryan is the nailed on test starter people think he is, if tour even happens.
    I wouldn't put him on another level to most of our forwards to be honest. Good player but wouldn't consider him massively better than Henderson or Beirne really.
    Then you've Itoje, AWJ, Grey to compete with for Lions.

The argument that was being made is that he’s not nailed on to make it onto the plane which I think is wrong. The Test XV, we’ll see (if it goes ahead), but James Ryan isn’t missing out, injury permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ryan a starter for me, Furlong if fit, Henshaw on the bench. Apart from that, any other Irish guys who travel will be squad players for non-test games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dav010 wrote: »
    Ryan a starter for me, Furlong if fit, Henshaw on the bench. Apart from that, any other Irish guys who travel will be squad players for non-test games.

Assuming Farrell is going to be 10, who would start at 12 over Henshaw?

It's South Africa we'd be playing in a fantasy situation where this tour happens, so the midfield is going to need size. And its Gatland who is picking the side who has always considered that a big priority in midfield.

I'd say the ideal starting midfield for Gatland would be Henshaw and Davies if they're both fit. I think the back 3 is the big open question, Liam Williams is the only cert there that I can see.

Assuming Farrell is going to be 10, who would start at 12 over Henshaw?

It's South Africa we'd be playing in a fantasy situation where this tour happens, so the midfield is going to need size. And its Gatland who is picking the side who has always considered that a big priority in midfield.

I'd say the ideal starting midfield for Gatland would be Henshaw and Davies if they're both fit. I think the back 3 is the big open question, Liam Williams is the only cert there that I can see.

Ah, I’d say Johnny May is a shoo-in.

Louis Rees-Zammit is seriously putting his hand up for the right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

After watching the opening two rounds, I'm sure of only one thing.

Warren Gatland is praying this tour is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

My 35 man lions squad

Props
    Wyn Jones
    Furlong
    Mako
    Sinkler
    Sutherland
    Porter

Hookers
    George
    Cowan dickie
    G turner/mcinally

Second rows
    Lawes
    Itoje
    Ryan
    Awj - C
    Henderson/gray/kruis

Br
    Curry
    Underhill
    Tipuric
    Falateu
    Earl
    Cj

Halfbacks
    Davies
    Webb
    Murray
    Farrell
    Russel
    Biggar

Centres
    Manu
    Davies
    Ringrose
    Henshaw or slade

OB
    Daly
    Watson
    May
    Williams
    Rees zammit

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For those talking "dead certs" to travel.

Henshaw is 6/5
    James Ryan 1/10
    Beirne 3/1
    Ringrose 4/7
    Furlong 1/5
    Porter 13/8
    CJ 8/11
    Harry Byrne 100/1 :D

Advertisement