Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Upgrade Microsoft Flight Simulator 20

Options
  • 18-08-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys,

Downloaded herself last night and gave a quick look this morning, with my current build im playing at medium to high. My CPU is throttling even at that.

My current build:
    CPU: Core i5 6500
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 P
    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 750 Evo
    HDD: 2TB
    PSU: Seasonic 520W M12II
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S

I think I'm fine for RAM and could probably get away with the GTX 1060 for the time being but I'm fairly restricted with the motherboard I think with regards to CPU? Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Fsx11223 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I think I'm fine for RAM and could probably get away with the GTX 1060 for the time being but I'm fairly restricted with the motherboard I think with regards to CPU? Any suggestions appreciated!

Yep any sort of meaningful CPU upgrade will mean it needs to be paired with new RAM and Motherboard as well. Personally from what I have seen I don't think a GTX1060 cuts the mustard either!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yep any sort of meaningful CPU upgrade will mean it needs to be paired with new RAM and Motherboard as well. Personally from what I have seen I don't think a GTX1060 cuts the mustard either!

1060 hits medium settings at acceptable framerate (Digital Foundry does a good job demonstrating 1060 performance) paired with a good 6 core CPU.

The CPU options are limited, 7700k is best you can go, and the used prices are insane (because of limited options of high performance CPUs on that socket). It's 25% faster than your current CPU, but its still going to bottleneck the sim performance.

I'd almost recommend selling the bones of your PC and getting AMD-based build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fsx11223

1060 hits medium settings at acceptable framerate (Digital Foundry does a good job demonstrating 1060 performance) paired with a good 6 core CPU.

The CPU options are limited, 7700k is best you can go, and the used prices are insane (because of limited options of high performance CPUs on that socket). It's 25% faster than your current CPU, but its still going to bottleneck the sim performance.

I'd almost recommend selling the bones of your PC and getting AMD-based build.

Many thanks for that.

I have put together a quick build, I'm struggling with the GPU. Budget of about 3000. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8sQ6k6

Again, anything appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Many thanks for that.

I have put together a quick build, I'm struggling with the GPU. Budget of about 3000. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8sQ6k6

Again, anything appreciated :)
    A few pointers:

* that's the US site - using the UK version is recommended.
    * Ryzen 3900X is a wee bit unnecessary - but go for it if you really want to.
    * you can just go for an incremental upgrade, e.g. keeping the case & PSU, maybe even the RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£282.70 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Black RGB Edition 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£52.73 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£139.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (£369.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack (£27.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Custom: Eclipse P400A Mesh front panel (£17.99)
    Total: £1076.36
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-19 15:50 BST+0100

* new GPUs are being announced in 2 weeks.
    Hold your money until then (unless you want to buy everything bar the GPU now).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hi guys,

Downloaded herself last night and gave a quick look this morning, with my current build im playing at medium to high. My CPU is throttling even at that.

My current build:
    CPU: Core i5 6500
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 P
    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 750 Evo
    HDD: 2TB
    PSU: Seasonic 520W M12II
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S

You are more or less in the same boat as myself, I am running a 15-2500K @ 4.5ghz and a 1060. The game is playable @ 30fps but stay away from NY city (lol) but its on medium and custom low settings.

I just ordered a new rig today....cant wait. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think Flight Sim is one of those games that runs much better on Intel. Wouldn't usually recommend Intel, ever, but if FS20 is the main purpose, it may make sense here.

The 9900KF is £380 and fairly wallops the 3700X in the game, decently faster than the £420 3900X as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, anywhere up to 1440p Intel wins by a good margin. Beyond that gains diminish. For sure Intel if only FS2020, AMD if many different games is your avenue

Problem with FSM2020 is that its DX11 and only takes advantage of 6 cores from what I read online....apparently a DX12 update is coming sooner rather then later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Whats the smallest case that coul fit a set up able to run fight sim at ideal settings?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Whats the smallest case that coul fit a set up able to run fight sim at ideal settings?

Ideal can't really be run at the moment as the game is limited to DirectX11. But people do high performance builds in ITX cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Coolermaster NR200 is probably the best mini-ITX case to buy, but it's hard to find right now.

There's also Silverstone PS15, which is slightly bigger @ 26L but offers micro-ATX compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

How deep are your pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

When considering upgrading for FS20 then I would recommend 32 gigs of ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Interesting that they mention the speed of RAM is more important the quantity.

Advertisement