Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auctioneer didn’t inform me of other interested party

Options
  • 18-08-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I’ve recently Sale Agreed to sell my house.
    On a Friday evening, auctioneer phoned me and said Johnny wants to buy house for €500k. We said €520k and it’s Sale Agreed. They agreed.
    I have just found out that a neighbour in the estate was looking at the house at the time and had indicated to the EA that he was very interested.
    Should the EA have communicated that to me at the time or was I the eejit for accepting the too quickly? Btw, we agreed price that was well below asking because we really want to get rid of it ASAP. Would it be worth anything to contact the neighbours directly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

if you've nothing signed/no deposit received then feel free to talk with the neighbour.

For the Agent, while he should have advised of extra interest, you did say "520K and its Sale Agreed".

If told him that you would accept it, then his job is done. Commission earned.

An extra 5-10k is a lot for you, but 150 quid for him...which he might not feel is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

When you say “very interested”, did your neighbour actually make a bid? If he/she didn’t, they weren’t that interested.

Countless times over the years EAs have told me about neighbours viewing properties just to have a nose around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

JDMC2 wrote: »
    On a Friday evening, auctioneer phoned me and said Johnny wants to buy house for €500k. We said €520k and it’s Sale Agreed. They agreed.
    I have just found out that a neighbour in the estate was looking at the house at the time and had indicated to the EA that he was very interested.
    Should the EA have communicated that to me at the time or was I the eejit for accepting the too quickly? Btw, we agreed price that was well below asking because we really want to get rid of it ASAP. Would it be worth anything to contact the neighbours directly?

If they were interested and able, they would have made an offer.

Btw, no excuse good enough to excuse accepting an offer and withdrawing....

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

Thanks all, agree with all that you’ve said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Everybody is very interested until they are asked to make an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like the neighbour wants a tour of your place, to look for any home improvements that they could do in their own house.

Advertisement