Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this inappropriate?

• 18-08-2020 6:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I had an issue with my psychiatrist. I have Aspergers so I can say odd things and act in an unusual way. But I'd like to think that I'm relatively mind. I don't think I have an issue with "mind-blindness" and can understand social cues, situations, and emotions.

This situation though has made it seem that maybe that isn't the case. Due to COVID-19, I was out of touch with my psychiatrist and decided to send him an email on his email address along with send him a message on his LinkedIn profile. He didn't respond but just a week ago, I went to see him in his clinic after the restrictions were relaxed.

He said he found it inappropriate for me to communicate with him via email/social messaging. He wouldn't have a problem with me calling him but does have a problem with me emailing him.

Is he in the wrong or I am? I respect his opinion and wont' be emailing him but I can honestly not understand the big deal about this. I had another psychiatrist who said that I could email him if I had any issues.

Does it have something to do with maintaining a professional relationship?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭2 fast

I personally don't see the issue with emailing him. LinkedIn probably wasn't the best place to message him, that's more professional connections.

Unless he specifically told you not to email him, I really don't see the harm. Most psychotherapists give the option to ring or email.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

LinkedIn was inappropriate because it’s a social media platform for professionals. Healthcare professionals should never engage in client contact over social media, according to most professional ethics groups.

Email is a bit different. If he gave you his professional email address, that’s one thing. If you guessed it, or found his personal email address, that’s another. It can be very risky to give an email address out, as if a client attempts to contact you but you don’t see the email/you’re out of office, you could end up missing something risky or dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Faith wrote: »

If you guessed it, or found his personal email address, that’s another.

Yea, I now see the issue. It was the latter. Still though, I searched the email address of my former psychiatrist and he had no issues with my communicating with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The content of the email may have been inappropriate.
    Was it just to arrange an appointment or was it conversational?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Each therapist has a different code of ethic and policy when it comes to patient contact. I had a therapist firmly and quite rudely tell me he turns his phone off outside working hours as I was not to contact him, another therapist told me I could contact her outside of working hours if I had an emergency, she provided me with her own mobile number. I never attempted to contact either therapist only to cancel or reschedule appointments.
    Usually therapists will explain how they wish to be contacted at your first session, did he do this? did he give you a contact email or number for him? Where or how did you get hold of this email? Was through online searching or did he give it to?
    Messaging him on linkedin is inappropriate as it crosses a professional boundary as does emailing him on an address he didn't specifically give to you for the purpose of contacting him about sessions.

The correct thing to do would have been to contact him in the way in which he expressed you should, if there was no answer you should leave a message and wait for him to get back to you, contact again in a few weeks if you have no reply but leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Addle wrote: »
    The content of the email may have been inappropriate.
    Was it just to arrange an appointment or was it conversational?

No it wasn't. I try to be polite in conversations.

It was about how a medicine was affecting me and to suggest another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There's a difference between a personal and professional email..It was inappropriate to contact him on his personal email. Your last psych didn't have an issue with it but this one does so you need to respect that. For the most part, prople would not appreciate being contacted out of the blue on personal email or phone numbers by a client. You overstepped boundaries here, though i appteciate that you didnt intend to or realise you were. You should ask him how he expects you to communicate with him regarding your treatment in the event of similar restrictions being imposed or between appointments if they are scheduled a long time apart. He may prefer that you raise your concerns with your GP who could contact him directly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think you are worrying about it too much.
    Had he left you with a way to contact him ? As a medical professional he should have done so.
    Covid was a unique circumstance so cut yourself some slack.
    You didn't call to his home.
    You have apologised. He should accept that. You have learned a lesson. In the greater scheme of things it's not big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

I think maybe he meant that you shouldn't have contacted him by Linkdin and he rioter said it too abruptly or he said it matt of fact and you read something into it that he did not mean.

However, I do think that you should talk to him about it. He is your psychiatrist and you need to comfortable with him. If something troubles you in the relationship it will have an effect on the therapy.

Tell him and gt it off your chest - you'll find you are wandered about nothing.

Advertisement