Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clarina Petrol Station

• 18-08-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Does anyone know what they are building behind the petrol station in Clarina? There seems to be a lot of work going on there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shaneg4

They are building a new car park so to allow a new extension to the shop, new plans have been recently submitted for a revised extension to include a drive thru for a well known fast food giant

• Registered Users Posts: 26 timzil

Shaneg4 wrote: »
    They are building a new car park so to allow a new extension to the shop, new plans have been recently submitted for a revised extension to include a drive thru for a well known fast food giant

Oh right. I presume the drive thrust is Supermacs. Will there be any other retail units there of just the drive thru.

There was supposed to be franchise food counters in the store and a seating area but don't know if still the same,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Extended shop space, drive thru, seating area, additional car parking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Can anyone confirm what fast food chain this is?

The scary thing is that Clarina already has daily long tailbacks (sometimes extremely long) on either side of those traffic lights because they were never properly set up - They basically turn the lights red on the N69 the instant any car shows up on the minor road....

Hopefully the Planning Office put a little bit more thought into this decision than they did their previous Clarina plans which seemed to have an aim of converting the place into some sort of wasteland expanse of derelict eyesore buildings, acres of empty tarmac and masses of ugly metal bollards.

Right down to allowing rubbish cheap signage to be added to really top it all off - It's an absolute embarrassment what they've allowed to happen here.

clarina.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Hardly Supermacs as Pat McDonagh was in Limerick Leader yesterday announcing an Obama type plaza just after the Dock Road roundabouts on left hand side heading out of town.

The drive thru is gone, the council would not allow it. The centra store will now be extended and just have the Musgraves franchises in store to offer takeaway food.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mart 23

Hardly Supermacs as Pat McDonagh was in Limerick Leader yesterday announcing an Obama type plaza just after the Dock Road roundabouts on left hand side heading out of town.

Would this be near to the Westward Ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

mart 23 wrote: »
    Would this be near to the Westward Ho.

I can't share the link but the following is the quote from the Limerick Leader :

Supermac's Pat McDonagh plans to take a bite out of the motorway service station market in County Limerick.
    Mr McDonagh has confirmed to the Leader that an application for a €10m Obama-style plaza will be lodged with Limerick City and County Council in the coming weeks.
    The site location is on the N69 in Mungret, adjacent to the Limerick-Galway motorway and Limerick tunnel. It is just after the second roundabout at the end of the Dock Road, on the left as you head towards Clarina

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There a derelict site on the triangle of land just off the roundabout between the N69 and the R510 (the road heading towards Raheen). It's more than likely that site.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sgEhwybiBussjmre7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Yes that’s the one , it’s directly across from the entrance to Irish Cement. It used to be a Roadstone depot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The traffic is mental there the worst of times, doubt it'll be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Irish_rat wrote: »

Traffic is bad there for 40 minutes in the morning and half an hour in the evenings at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Irish_rat wrote: »

Traffic is mental coming in over The Condell Bridge during Rush hour (can be fairly bad at other times also). Didn't stop the Council from sticking in a Cycle-Lane and reducing the inbound Lanes by 50%.

The plans for the new Junction at Ashbourne Ave/Dock Rd show that there will be only a single Lane exiting Ashbourne Ave onto the Dock Rd (currently two Lanes at the Traffic Lights).

There are numerous other locations throughout the City where the Council have reduced the available Road-space for ridiculous reasons.

In other words they couldn't give a toss about Traffic Hold-ups, or the effects of them.

Finally, the Council are usually reluctant to turn down potential income from Rates.. ;)

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Traffic is mental coming in over The Condell Bridge during Rush hour (can be fairly bad at other times also). Didn't stop the Council from sticking in a Cycle-Lane and reducing the inbound Lanes by 50%.

The plans for the new Junction at Ashbourne Ave/Dock Rd show that there will be only a single Lane exiting Ashbourne Ave onto the Dock Rd (currently two Lanes at the Traffic Lights).

There are numerous other locations throughout the City where the Council have reduced the available Road-space for ridiculous reasons.

In other words they couldn't give a toss about Traffic Hold-ups, or the effects of them.

Finally, the Council are usually reluctant to turn down potential income from Rates.. ;)

Actually there have been numerous signs over the years that the Council are doing their best to sabotage the traffic routing efficiency of the Condell road in every and any conceivable manner in order to engineer in traffic jams and make the Limerick Tunnel a more attractive option.

The motivation here is that there was an agreement made that if a certain traffic volume didn't use the tunnel then the shortfall would be compensated to the company running it from the public purse.

I'm sure the same logic applies to the entire length of the Dock Rd. - Limerick City Council would be utterly overjoyed if it was somehow brought to a standstill and people were forced to use the tunnel and have to pay lots of already very wealthy private investors for the privilege of driving to work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Actually there have been numerous signs over the years that the Council are doing their best to sabotage the traffic routing efficiency of the Condell road in every and any conceivable manner in order to engineer in traffic jams and make the Limerick Tunnel a more attractive option.

The motivation here is that there was an agreement made that if a certain traffic volume didn't use the tunnel then the shortfall would be compensated to the company running it from the public purse.

I'm sure the same logic applies to the entire length of the Dock Rd. - Limerick City Council would be utterly overjoyed if it was somehow brought to a standstill and people were forced to use the tunnel and have to pay lots of already very wealthy private investors for the privilege of driving to work....
    I can't recall who or where but I'm sure I saw pre-pandemic that the usage of the tunnel was such that they were easily meeting the quotas required, if that's the case then why would the council introduce new meaures to encourage more use of the tunnel

The tunnel has absolutely nothing to do with the council and they don't pay one penny to the operators. Any moneys that have to be paid are paid by central government. They have no compulsion to push more traffic through it.

They are not engineering traffic jams to send more traffic through the tunnel. That would be way too complicated for them as the big issue is that they are incompetent when it comes to traffic management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

The tunnel has absolutely nothing to do with the council and they don't pay one penny to the operators. Any moneys that have to be paid are paid by central government. They have no compulsion to push more traffic through it.

They are not engineering traffic jams to send more traffic through the tunnel. That would be way too complicated for them as the big issue is that they are incompetent when it comes to traffic management.
    I always thought they got in civil engineers or town planners and their one solution was to add more traffic lights:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

The_Dave wrote: »
    I can't recall who or where but I'm sure I saw pre-pandemic that the usage of the tunnel was such that they were easily meeting the quotas required, if that's the case then why would the council introduce new meaures to encourage more use of the tunnel

I find that highly unlikely. I don't think it hit that level once since opening, from memory the guarantee included that the traffic volume was to increase yearly also.21 years left before the road is handed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I can't share the link but the following is the quote from the Limerick Leader :

Supermac's Pat McDonagh plans to take a bite out of the motorway service station market in County Limerick.
    Mr McDonagh has confirmed to the Leader that an application for a €10m Obama-style plaza will be lodged with Limerick City and County Council in the coming weeks.
    The site location is on the N69 in Mungret, adjacent to the Limerick-Galway motorway and Limerick tunnel. It is just after the second roundabout at the end of the Dock Road, on the left as you head towards Clarina

Lets hope that this will go through even with the edict of no new development until the city centre is up and running

• Advertisement

Lets hope that this will go through even with the edict of no new development until the city centre is up and running
    There's no blanket ban on development. And we're talking about a petrol station with a takeaway which isn't in competition with any city center retail. There's already been recent permission granted for a similar development at Clondrinagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There's no blanket ban on development. And we're talking about a petrol station with a takeaway which isn't in competition with any city center retail. There's already been recent permission granted for a similar development at Clondrinagh.

I hope you are right but I know from his application outside Ennis the amount putting in objections as it would take away from the town.

I hope you are right but I know from his application outside Ennis the amount putting in objections as it would take away from the town.
    Limerick and Ennis are controlled completely different local authorities and Limerick is a lot bigger than Ennis. What happened there is not relevant.

Rival petrol stations on the Dock Rd probably will object, but it's not rivalling anything in the city center.

The_Dave wrote: »

No I don't believe that the Tunnel has ever seen the projected volume of traffic that the deal was made on - The State has been paying the difference ever since.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/government-has-to-shell-out-due-as-tunnel-figures-drop/

Also every time traffic counter strips were put on every approach to the tunnel off-ramp near the Cement Factory there seemed to be a coincidental impediment to traffic free-flow on the Condell Rd as this was the alternative route. For example the entire Condell Rd has a speed limit since of just over walking speed.

I take your point about the Council being not directly involved here - But you must also recognise and consider the fact that Limerick County Council has the integrity and ability of the average rat and would definitely bow to any political pressure on this.

No I don't believe that the Tunnel has ever seen the projected volume of traffic that the deal was made on - The State has been paying the difference ever since.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/government-has-to-shell-out-due-as-tunnel-figures-drop/

Also every time traffic counter strips were put on every approach to the tunnel off-ramp near the Cement Factory there seemed to be a coincidental impediment to traffic free-flow on the Condell Rd as this was the alternative route. For example the entire Condell Rd has a speed limit since of just over walking speed.

I take your point about the Council being not directly involved here - But you must also recognise and consider the fact that Limerick County Council has the integrity and ability of the average rat and would definitely bow to any political pressure on this.

The Condell Rd has been in its current configuration with a (totally ignored) 50km/h speed limit for a decade and nothing has changed on the road for in that time either. The regular traffic surveys most definitely have not lead to extra traffic impediments. The most recent survey was for the M20 project not the tunnel who have their own permanent traffic counters embedded into the road surface (As does all of the national road network)..

Your conspiracy theory is nothing more than that.

50km is not just over walking speed, the average walking speed is 5km/hour, so motorists are speeding (un)happily along at 10 times the average walking speed.

Personally would love to see the 50km speed there enforced via cameras like the Dock Road has in recent years with the speed van parked in the lay-by. Whatever about speeding on motorways, no time at all for anyone who speeds through urban areas. Whenever I'm back up for a Limerick match I take (bizarre, perhaps) pleasure in keeping the speed limit on that stretch of road...

50km is not just over walking speed, the average walking speed is 5km/hour, so motorists are speeding (un)happily along at 10 times the average walking speed.

Personally would love to see the 50km speed there enforced via cameras like the Dock Road has in recent years with the speed van parked in the lay-by. Whatever about speeding on motorways, no time at all for anyone who speeds through urban areas. Whenever I'm back up for a Limerick match I take (bizarre, perhaps) pleasure in keeping the speed limit on that stretch of road...
    Funnily enough the 50km/h section of the Condell Rd is on the Garda list of speed vans locations, but unless they build a layby there is nowhere for one to safely park, so it's never going to be enforced.

There's no valid reason for the Condell Rd to have its irritatingly low 50kmph limit over such a long distance from the City other than to discourage drivers from using it on their daily commute and to simply try and herd people into the Tunnel.

There's no valid reason for the Condell Rd to have its irritatingly low 50kmph limit over such a long distance from the City other than to discourage drivers from using it on their daily commute and to simply try and herd people into the Tunnel.
    Or, it's an urban road with parkland and footpaths either side of it, cycle lanes and pedestrian crossings.

Personally I think the limit could safely be 60km/h, but it only adds about 30 seconds to your journey along a 3km road, so it's not worth talking about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement