Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Let Them Eat Cake from the Left

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Pkiernan wrote: »

People will only put up with this "One law for me. One law for Thee." nonsense for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    People will only put up with this "One law for me. One law for Thee." nonsense for so long.

Near 100 years and counting....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Bowie wrote: »
    Near 100 years and counting....

So where did this whole "Fightin Irish" thing come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Take a cold shower. That hard on for the left is showing again.

PS I agree with you he should resign but why make it a left v right discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

South Bend, Indiana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When you sleep at night a leftist bogeyman lives in your wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

He should resign same as the guy from Bord Failte had to resign even though that guy & his family went to Italy, a country that was on the government green list.
    Its a joke, politicians and those in positions of influence saying one thing for the rest of us while they ignore the rules and advice and continue to do as they like.. reminds me of the good ole days of the CC and the likes of Cleary & Casey who were definitely of that ilk- do as I say etc..
    not much changed so, just different players, SSDD.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's largely a repeated self myth, at least within Ireland. It had a lot more legs outside Ireland and was seen in the US and in South America where they found if you leave a bunch of Irish people to their own devices revolution was often to follow and god forbid you mix the Latin blood with the Irish.... Che Guevara Lynch one example. His father blamed his son's rebellious nature on the "Irish blood that flowed through his veins". We do quite well or ill to some sensibilities, but notably, when we leave the place. Same for artists too. Away from the valley of the twitching windows of respectable clannish compliance of much of Ireland society. I've long thought that Ireland is a great womb, but a lacklustre or by turn domineering mother*
    dan1895 wrote:
    PS I agree with you he should resign but why make it a left v right discussion?
    I hear that D, but sadly it's because of too bloody much unfiltered by rationality importation of the worst aspects of American political speak and culture. This is not America(cue Bowie la la la la). Thank whatever higher power you believe in. It doesn't fit.

*and father, in case pearls are in need of clutching.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Kildare county councillor Bill Clear has admitted to Independent.ie that he went to Spain on July 18 where he holidayed in the town of Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol for two weeks before returning to Ireland on August 1.

“We booked this family holiday last year to go to Spain and as we got closer the official guidance wasn't that clear so we made the decision to go,” Mr Clear, a councillor based in Naas, said. “I hugely regret it now.”

“As soon as we returned we got all family tested and they all came back negative so we followed all the guidelines of restricting our movements in that time,” he said.

No need to resign, imo.
    He should resign same as the guy from Bord Failte had to resign even though that guy & his family went to Italy, a country that was on the government green list. .

It was the optics of that that did it for him, Bord Failte like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

When people make these issues a left/right division, you can generally see right through them. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

If I'm not mistaken this lad used Bill Clinton and R Kelly as examples of the far left in another thread. Gave me a hearty belly laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 shipposter

When you come to a crossroads, and don't know which way to go, the only thing to do is go right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They are advising against foreign travel , not dictating it. Sure why didnt he experience the italian weather, food and culture down in leitrim ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Do as they say, not as they do.

That's hypocrisy genius. The 'let-them-eat-cake' thing is an idiom related to class conflict.

Edit: and it predates Marxism before some 'scholar' goes down that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

Not quite seeing the logic here. So.. because some politician from Kildare went on a holiday, it's proof that we shouldn't listen to any politicians? But only if they represent "the left"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We need to stop this blame culture. Its just fostering resentment and fear.

He did nothing illegal, got tested and was negative. He made a choice to go on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

All are equal. But some are more equal than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Polar101 wrote: »
    Not quite seeing the logic here. So.. because some politician from Kildare went on a holiday, it's proof that we shouldn't listen to any politicians? But only if they represent "the left"?

Ah the thread starter is a reds under the bed type who thinks Bill Clinton is a communist. Thats the logic.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

ah here lads the SDs are unashamedly a left-leaning party getting upset about people pointing that out is a bit precious like

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The sheer lack of intelligence and not understanding the optics of the behavior is astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ah here lads the SDs are unashamedly a left-leaning party getting upset about people pointing that out is a bit precious like

Would it be less hypocritical if it was some right wing politician who went on holidays to Spain, Hitler or something? I don't see why their political leanings matter, the OP is just using it as an agenda.

Would it be less hypocritical if it was some right wing politician who went on holidays to Spain, Hitler or something? I don't see why their political leanings matter, the OP is just using it as an agenda.

SDs being eternal fence sitters on this issue (has any SD ever given any opinion on the measures at all?) you are right there.

But yes, it would likely be less hypocritical for a right-wing politician (not that we have many/any in this country (beyond "FG aRe tOrIeS") mainly because right-wing politicians worldwide are mostly to the fore of decrying lockdowns, masks and other restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Oh please, the fact that's he's in a left wing party has nothing to do with what he did.

He acted like an absolute muppet in taking that trip, but he did nothing illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Lives rent free in his ead as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He should share a cell wirh R Kelly and Bill Clinton once convicted, am I right?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Proof that asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    He acted like an absolute muppet in taking that trip, but he did nothing illegal.

is illegality of actions now the bar for whether or not a politician should resign?

good to know icon14.png

I'd say that acting like a muppet should be the bar, personally

As a lefty he's likely against most sane policy & guidance so I'm surprised he's not encouraging his supporters to travel also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Brian? wrote: »
    He should share a cell wirh R Kelly and Bill Clinton once convicted, am I right?

The intra thread stalking is a little creepy! Especially from a Moderator.

I'm not suggesting prison time, just highlighting how the SDs know whats best for us, but do the opposite. Its a trait common among so called lefties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Augeo wrote: »
    As a lefty he's likely against most sane policy & guidance so I'm surprised he's not encouraging his supporters to travel also.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement