Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question re buxus hedge

Options
  • 18-08-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I am trying to grow a small buxus hedge around my patio.

I was originally given a present of a number of plants, I did notice at the time they seemed to be from different sources but the same plant for sure.

About 50% of them did very well, the rest died off and left me with large gaps. In truth there was never enough of them to join up properly so it always looked patchy, but the ones that did well spread to nearly 8 inches ( some of them anyway )

I replaced the baddies with a bunch of lidl ones, that lasted about a month before they died off.

So now I have gone and bought a load more of good looking plants. My question is, in order to help the new ones, do I have to trim back the ones doing really well so that the new ones get sun and a chance to grow ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, not particularly, though its always good for hedging to trim it frequently as it is growing.

More to the point is taking care when you plant the new ones. Dig a decent sized hole, a bit bigger than the pot that is holding the new plants. Put some compost in the bottom and stir it round a bit. Add a good bit of water.

Drop the plant out of the pot into your hand and look at the roots. If there is any indication (and there probably will be) that they are going around in the shape of the pot ease them out so they are loose of the compost. If they are matted then you might have to be quite rough with them. You can use the corner of your trowel to tear down through them to loosen them, not forgetting the bottom. You will not damage them, if you leave them in a solid mass they are unlikely to leave the mass and grow into the ground. Put the plant into the hole and fill round the edges with a bit more compost and soil, firm it in.The top of the soil and the compost in the pot should be level.

If the weather is at all dry, keep watering them.

Advertisement