Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help bring colour to shaded area

Options
  • 18-08-2020 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

I have a shaded area at the bottom of the garden.
    When we moved in the tree line came alsmost to the floor and the floor was covered in IVY

A clean up pretty much killed the tress as far as I can see - but the ivy is only too happy to come back.

Anyway, I would love to grow something in here as a flower bed or something that brings colour to this end.

Any ideas what I can do ?

Thanks

523405.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is an area that Japanese Maples might do quite well in - they like woodland /shaded and sheltered from wind. Varigated trees or shrubs tend to revert to green if you grow them in shade, but something that naturally has coloured leaves will hold their colour. Quite a few roses will deal with shade ok, you need to read descriptions though before purchase. Azaleas ok with shade, but need acid soil so maybe grow in a large container. Foxgloves, hellebores (Christmas Rose), berginia also good in shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks looksee - I'll look into those, I should have mentioned its south facing, but because of the Apple tree its really in shade all the time.

( I dont know if thats any use really )

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I have a shaded area at the bottom of the garden.
    When we moved in the tree line came alsmost to the floor and the floor was covered in IVY

A clean up pretty much killed the tress as far as I can see - but the ivy is only too happy to come back.

Anyway, I would love to grow something in here as a flower bed or something that brings colour to this end.

Any ideas what I can do ?

Thanks

523405.jpg

I don't have many suggestions, but for an area that is very dark, you could put in a flowering hosta - I have a few with large variegated leaves most of the year round, and flowers in very early spring. Only problem is that it spreads quicker than covid. EDIT - Just saw macraignil's suggestion below, and realised that what we have are actually pulmonaria, not hostas! So I'd second his suggestion.

On a completely different and random note, is that a work-space at the back right? Am seriously considering investing in something that would allow me work from home (currently have toddlers being minded in the house, so separate space needed). Did you need planning or can you just put something in as a "shed" but wired etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Pulmonaria and brunnera are nice colourful flowers that do well in shade and vinca is also good for producing flowers in shade. This video clip shows a shady area in my own garden when it was first planted and it has since then developed fairly well. Bright foliage plants might give more long lasting brightness to the area with some of the variegated euonymous or pittosporum being an option. The RHS has a page listing a variety of options for planting in shade here.

Happy gardening!

randomguy wrote: »

On a completely different and random note, is that a work-space at the back right? Am seriously considering investing in something that would allow me work from home (currently have toddlers being minded in the house, so separate space needed). Did you need planning or can you just put something in as a "shed" but wired etc?

My Garden Room Build

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would suggest Japanese Anemones for that patch. They come in various shades from white to deep pink / purple and the latter might take over from the whites. They flower from July to frosty days of winter. They will spread but it looks like you will have that area hemmed in. They are trouble free and impossible to get rid of so you are warned!

thanks folks - just for info, I bought this stuff - but have seen nothing as of yet, I am assuming its because the sunlight doesnt really get there.

5023377861833_01bq?$MOB_PREV$&$width=298&$height=298

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

RobAMerc wrote: »
    thanks folks - just for info, I bought this stuff - but have seen nothing as of yet, I am assuming its because the sunlight doesnt really get there.

5023377861833_01bq?$MOB_PREV$&$width=298&$height=298

You can get wildflower mixes specifically for shaded areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dicentra are good, as are hellebores ime

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Flower seeds include; Ox-Eye daisy, Poppy, Cornflower, Corn Marigold

These are not flowers suited to a shaded area, and (imo) not to a suburban flower bed. You would be better to buy a few herbaceous plants selected for the site, rather than scattering seeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement