Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher laptops

Options
  • 18-08-2020 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I work in Cork Etb and have heard we will be getting laptops for this school year. I’m on the verge of buying a new laptop but am wondering if I should hold out. Does anyone know what type of laptop teachers can expect to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Contact the ETB? Ask them what you’ll be getting and when.
    I would also say that unless you were buying the new laptop specifically for work, you should probably get one yourself anyway. Best not to mix school work and personal stuff, especially if the laptop belongs to the school or ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

There's a global shortage on some laptops so expect to wait.

Maybe if it refers back to work from home you could buy your own and get tax relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

If you do end up buying your own device, look at one of the MS Surface Pros.

Excellent tool for teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Thanks all, ETB are to get back to me but as poster above said maybe it’s best to keep work and personal separated. I played around with the MS surface, I didn’t enjoy it. I couldn’t see myself doing any extended piece of writing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    Thanks all, ETB are to get back to me but as poster above said maybe it’s best to keep work and personal separated. I played around with the MS surface, I didn’t enjoy it. I couldn’t see myself doing any extended piece of writing on it

I have been using a Surface Pro since January and it made my life a lot easier when teaching online. If you have a type cover it should be fine for word processing.

I do also have a dual monitor desktop setup as well though...so that helps :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I have been using a Surface Pro since January and it made my life a lot easier when teaching online. If you have a type cover it should be fine for word processing.

I do also have a dual monitor desktop setup as well though...so that helps :o

Another vote for the surface Pro here, I love mine. Only complaint I have is that it is very heavy but mine is over 2 years old now. Apparently the newer models are lighter

Advertisement