Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Gaol as a tourist attraction

Options
  • 19-08-2020 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Doing the whole staycation thing and visiting some local sites too. Went to Cork City Gaol recently and while the price was fair (€10) and the staff sound, it just seemed a bit flat. I felt in other cities similar sites are much more popular, compelling and engaging. Any ideas why or am I being too harsh? Is part of the problem that it didn't really have high profile prisoners (bar Markievicz, briefly)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Doing the whole staycation thing and visiting some local sites too. Went to Cork City Gaol recently and while the price was fair (€10) and the staff sound, it just seemed a bit flat. I felt in other cities similar sites are much more popular, compelling and engaging. Any ideas why or am I being too harsh? Is part of the problem that it didn't really have high profile prisoners (bar Markievicz, briefly)?

I think it’s more because you do the tour yourself listening to a headset as opposed a person giving you a tour. That’s what I found anyway. Always find any attraction I visit where you have a person giving a tour , I always enjoy it and learn a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭bevan619

fin12 wrote: »
    I think it’s more because you do the tour yourself listening to a headset as opposed a person giving you a tour. That’s what I found anyway. Always find any attraction I visit where you have a person giving a tour , I always enjoy it and learn a lot more.

I thought they did group tours as well? Or have they stopped due to the current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

bevan619 wrote: »
    I thought they did group tours as well? Or have they stopped due to the current situation?

Weren't on offer anyway but the impression I got from signage was the only options ever available were self guided with a booklet, audio tours or else private evening tours. The private tours have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

I think if you go with a group, you get a tour guide. We did when we went with a large group of kids a few years back. Was enjoyable.

Advertisement