Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing mtb

Options
  • 19-08-2020 6:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi lads and ladies, I’m looking at importing a couple of bikes from Canada and was wondering has anyone on here done the same? What’s the process like? Did you pay much tax? And if so what tax’s are due?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I want to do the same, I have a brother there who can buy it, but not sure to ask him to ship it or to wait till he comes back and bring it on the plane. Ive brought a bike back on a plane before and it was just like any other suitcase as long as the bike cardboard box doesnt exceed the maximum size restrictions. By right if its bought there but intended use is in Ireland then you shouldnt be paying tax over there so that'll make it even cheaper. I want to get a Radpower bike, the US version is 750W the Canadian 500 and the EU one at only 250W!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    I want to get a Radpower bike, the US version is 750W the Canadian 500 and the EU one at only 250W!

At risk of having this discussion again because it's been beaten to death already elsewhere, in the EU the maximum legal power output is a pedal-assisted 250w with a cut-off at somewhere around 27kph (I stand open to correction on the exact speed limitation). If the bike in question has a throttle regardless of power output, it's straight up illegal.

Would you get away with it? Maybe. But if you are either involved in an accident or stopped by the police you will find yourself thrown to the wolves in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

lets get back to topic pls

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    I want to get a Radpower bike, the US version is 750W the Canadian 500 and the EU one at only 250W!
    There's a reason for this.

The US & Canadian versions are considered to be motorbikes in the EU. That means you need a licence, tax and insurance.

As Lemming says, you might get away with it, but find yourself nabbed by a Garda who fancies making things difficult for you and you could wind up with a driving ban and several thousand euro in fines.

For the OP, it can work out expensive. You pay import duty (seems to be 14%), and then VAT on top of that.

So for example if the bike is CAD$2,000 and CAD$150 to ship, then the value for import purposes is CAD$2150. Converted to euro, is about €1,400. Add 14% import duty comes to €1,596. Add 23% VAT comes to €1,963.

That's €563 in tax alone.

On the other hand, you'll get a roundtrip flight to Toronto for about €400, and you can pick up a bike and hard shell case on your trip and bring them back with you on the flight home.

Advertisement