Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undecided about buying a car

• 19-08-2020 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just for background - I'm 29, live with my parents, can't afford rent so am here for another while.

I have been on a provisional for a few years and have failed my test a few times. I find it hard to get out to practice my driving, because I can't get out by myself - I have to have a full license with me.

There have been some issues about my mum letting me borrow her car (if a full licence friend was to come with me), she says it in a jokey way but I can tell she is nervous about me taking it.

I am debating whether to buy my own car. It is a huge decision, and obviously I wouldn't be able to drive by myself anyway so I'm just wondering would it be worth it? Or if I should just keep asking my mam can I borrow hers...

I am also trying to save as much as possible for a mortgage, so that is also making me unsure whether to get a car loan.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Will you have saved for a house deposit in 5 years? The car loan would have been paid off by then and then you'll have a decent credit rating behind you. That could be no harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you buy your own car then you'll need your own policy, which I presume you don't have and you're a named driver on your mam's car. This will be the expensive part, not so much the car so price it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Perhaps gentle reminder to your mum that she too was a learner driver once upon a time and you'd be grateful if she either lent you the car to practice with a friend every once in a while or she go with you herself.
    Or if she's really put out you driving her car how about a nice pressie, I dunno something like a year's worth of insurance cover for you to get you motoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I'm on provisional too, about 5 years. I've done the test earlier in the year and narrowly failed, but then covid hit and I put it on the long finger until a few weeks ago, I was all geared up to buy a car, cheap as it is literally just for A to B. The cars i was looking at were in around the 1500 price range to start me off, fine, plenty of them! But insurance is soooooo expensive. Cheapest quote I got for €2400 3rd party. 123.ie were offering €1400 but that's with that tracker box which from reading reviews is not the way I want to go.

So I decided to re apply for test and do as many lessons as I can and get the test passed and then I'll have more reasonable insurance, I'm on a cancellation list.

That would be my advice to you, try get it passed and then u wont have worry about borrowing your mams car.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

I think you should go for it now. Starting out as a driver is costly but it will be less of a financial hit to you while you're still living at home. I bought my first home by myself and for the first two years or so, money was pretty tight. Talking to friends, they said much the same thing. Unless your circumstances are different, you're not going to have the spare cash floating around to buy a car, pay for the lessons and get insured.

Being able to drive will also give you great flexibility. You might be in a position to get a better paid job that isn't easily got to without a car. It should also give you more scope when you start looking around for a house to buy. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Can your friend on a full licence hire a car and you practice with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can your friend on a full licence hire a car and you practice with it?

Not allowed, OP wouldn't be insured.

OP you haven't mentioned lessons at all which is strange.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

When I decided I wanted to learn to drive, I bought my own car. Just a banger, but the fact that I'd spent money on it encouraged me to learn quick enough, otherwise it would've been a waste of money. Passing the test was also a good incentive to get the insurance costs down!

However I did have a fully licensed driver who was willing to go out with me to practice frequently.

So I think there are 2 questions for you to consider:
    1. Can you afford to buy, insure and run a car? Do some quick quotes online to get an idea of how much the insurance will cost.
    2. Do you have someone who is willing to take you out frequently to practice? There's no point in buying a car if not. Lessons are obviously important, but you really to practice in between. Can you talk to your Mam and see if she'd be willing to go out with you more often? Maybe agree a schedule that will work for both of you (e.g. every Monday and Thursday evening for 1hr). If it's something that becomes a routine for you both, you're more likely to stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP if you passed your test was the plan you'd buy a car then? Or is the only reason you are looking to buy one is to pass the test? How much more time would you get driving if you had your own car? You still need someone with a full licence with you so how often is your friend going to be up for that? If you had a full licence would your mum be more open to you taking the car? Is her issue you having the car or you having you friend in the car? As others have mentioned there's more cost involved then just paying for the car and I worry it won't be the solution you think it is.

Can you offer to drive your mum when ever she's going anywhere to get more practice in? if you've failed a few times OP is the issue lack of driving time or something else? Failing once or even twice I could put down to lack of driving time but if more than that maybe spend the money on more lessons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Do you actually need one? They are a massive hole in your finances. I just turned 40 and never owned one, although I did get my licence a few years back. I suppose it depends where you live but if you're in Dublin and no kids etc, to me it's just a pricey luxury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How much are planning on spending on this car OP?

Advertisement