Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just looking at the highlights again and wondering if Bennett slowed down right at the line. Did he not notice Caleb?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Just wondering what the point of a Tour de France thread is if you can’t discuss race happenings “spoilers”?

It’s a bit daft to say the least. Surely anyone who can’t watch live and doesn’t want to know what’s happening would have the common sense to steer clear of a Tour de France thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because we have threads for the day's stage where spoilers can be posted. People may want to discuss the general goings on, or their predictions etc but not want to have that day's stage ruined for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Weepsie wrote: »
    Because we have threads for the day's stage where spoilers can be posted. People may want to discuss the general goings on, or their predictions etc but not want to have that day's stage ruined for them.

It might only be me but I think if you’re not up to date on what’s going on you’re better off not actively seeking out Tour de France threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Melodeon

To be honest, it's probably best to avoid the entire forum altogether until you know the day's result.
    There are threads for individual riders here which often pop up to the top of the page with new posts in real-time when that rider does something significant or some disaster befalls them during a race.
    It kinda happened yesterday with the Sam Bennett thread, but it has happened with others over the years too.

Oh, and it's a good idea to unsubscribe from those threads, and this one too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,184 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just looking at the highlights again and wondering if Bennett slowed down right at the line. Did he not notice Caleb?

Didn't have the legs according to himself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just wondering what the point of a Tour de France thread is if you can’t discuss race happenings “spoilers”?

It’s a bit daft to say the least. Surely anyone who can’t watch live and doesn’t want to know what’s happening would have the common sense to steer clear of a Tour de France thread.
    I'm with you on this - if you want to avoid knowing who won a race in this day and age of constant connectivity on mobile etc. to allow you to watch the race, you shouldn't be on any sports news website or cycling forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/tubed-clinchers-just-won-their-first-tour-de-france-stage/

Yesterday's stage win was the first in nearly 39 years won on clinchers

Just to let you all know it wasn’t clinchers that won the stage, it was Julian’s legs, head and talent. It wouldn’t have mattered what tyres he had on, he is just a superb rider who will entertain us throughout this TDF with whatever bike and equipment he is given. Equipment plays a roll but talent plays a bigger roll. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Just to let you all know it wasn’t clinchers that won the stage, it was Julian’s legs, head and talent. It wouldn’t have mattered what tyres he had on, he is just a superb rider who will entertain us throughout this TDF with whatever bike and equipment he is given. Equipment plays a roll but talent plays a bigger roll. ðŸ˜

As Carlton said during Milan San Remo - the only thing missing is a knife between his teeth!

I'm with you on this - if you want to avoid knowing who won a race in this day and age of constant connectivity on mobile etc. to allow you to watch the race, you shouldn't be on any sports news website or cycling forum

Avoid all internet is safer. I once had a race ruined because I turned on my virgin media guide just as it was showing a tiny picture of the race winner on a thumbnail for the RTE news

• Advertisement

Some people want to discuss the generalities of the race and events, previous day's events, small talk about the event without having the days racing ruined for them.

There's a dedicated stage thread every day for people to have at as much as possible.

The Sam Bennett thread has a spoiler tag rule in it too.

It's not too much to ask people to give it a day or 2 before dissecting parts of it here. It's a general thread. It could be literally about anything.

This age of constant connectivity isn't much use when people have work (some of us are back 5 days a week on site) , have kids, and other commitments. A quick foray into a forum needn't be a reason to have a race spoiled for someone.

We need to manage expectations of those who want to talk about the days racing and we do in the stage thread, and those who are not yet caught up

Some people want to discuss the generalities of the race and events, previous day's events, small talk about the event without having the days racing ruined for them.

There's a dedicated stage thread every day for people to have at as much as possible.

The Sam Bennett thread has a spoiler tag rule in it too.

It's not too much to ask people to give it a day or 2 before dissecting parts of it here. It's a general thread. It could be literally about anything.

This age of constant connectivity isn't much use when people have work (some of us are back 5 days a week on site) , have kids, and other commitments. A quick foray into a forum needn't be a reason to have a race spoiled for someone.

We need to manage expectations of those who want to talk about the days racing and we do in the stage thread, and those who are not yet caught up

Maybe edit the title or OP to say 24hr spoiler ban

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Equipment plays a roll but talent plays a bigger roll. ðŸ˜
    Seems to play a roll when all the should they/ shouldn't they wait for someone for a puncture/ mechanical bs starts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I imagine we'll be sick to the back teeth of this song fairly soon.

I miss the ad with Peter Sagan and the Bora cooker hob

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

De Bhál wrote: »

Haha, I was just thinking the same thing!

Every time I see a Bora rider my head goes "Thats Bora" and Ive done it passing kitchen shops much to the confusion of friends.

Im just glad those 2 annoying fools selling us Isreal as the land of bad music and cocktail parties is gone.

Thankfully this year I have the Eurosport subscription so no more ads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Im just glad those 2 annoying fools selling us Isreal as the land of bad music and cocktail parties is gone.

I miss that add myself

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Do ITV4 do highlights? It's saying the live coverage it not available in my area (Dublin) :( I am hoping a highlights package would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

eeeee wrote: »
    Do ITV4 do highlights? It's saying the live coverage it not available in my area (Dublin) :( I am hoping a highlights package would be.

Are you with virgin media, I'm the same and can't watch itv on virgin media. It's on eurosport later though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Are you with virgin media, I'm the same and can't watch itv on virgin media. It's on eurosport later though

Yep Virgin. It's a pita. I don't have Eurosport :(

TG4 aren't bad in fairness, but I have to concentrate a lot on what they're saying!

eeeee wrote: »
    Yep Virgin. It's a pita. I don't have Eurosport :(

TG4 aren't bad in fairness, but I have to concentrate a lot on what they're saying!

I have eurosport and gcn pass but still had tg4 the other day when watching and didn't even realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

That Isadore advert is spot on. Also for some reason I have no strange desire to visit Jerusalem or Tel Aviv this year...

Daroxtar wrote: »
    That Isadore advert is spot on. Also for some reason I have no strange desire to visit Jerusalem or Tel Aviv this year...

Why not Jerusalem is the land of sunshine. Definitely nothing bad happens there.

Just to annoy me even more they had the cheek to put those 2 on the side of buses last year too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd nearly forgotten all the 2 cities nonsense, and where fun is fast. GCN Race Pass proving its worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

We have feed me baby feed me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd nearly forgotten all the 2 cities nonsense, and where fun is fast. GCN Race Pass proving its worth!

Whats is GCN Race Pass? Would you recommend it over Eurosport?
    Im going to make the plunge today so i can watch on my laptop and im wondering whats best?

Kelly always gives me a laugh. He still on EuroSport?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres uninterrupted coverage on the eurosport player,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

neris wrote: »
    theres uninterrupted coverage on the eurosport player,

Thanks
    Can u get player on desktop/laptop?

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Can u get player on desktop/laptop?

Yeah you can watch on eurosportplayer.com or the mobile app which you can cast to a tv.

Advertisement