Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Perfect. It's prob obvious to most people but i wasnt sure.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I seemed to have timed my eurosport subscription with the most boring stage in history!

The commentators are prattling on about museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I seemed to have timed my eurosport subscription with the most boring stage in history!

The commentators are prattling on about museums.

Have a day off today with no kids around, probably the most of any stage I'll get to see this year - nicely coordinated with a training ride

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Didn’t know Alaphlippe got a penalty so he’s out of yellow now

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Didn’t know Alaphlippe got a penalty so he’s out of yellow now
    Took a bottle very obviously where he must have known there’d be a camera, with 17k to go, it’s almost like they didn’t want the yellow jersey so early in the race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

or Phil Hogan syndrome :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Took a bottle very obviously where he must have known there’d be a camera, with 17k to go, it’s almost like they didn’t want the yellow jersey so early in the race

Whomever gave him the bottle is at fault - was it part of his support team?

If he wanted to be out of the yellow surely he would have been better off just losing over 4 seconds to Yates instead of shipping 16.

Either way having him out of yellow will work better for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tim76 wrote: »
    Whomever gave him the bottle is at fault - was it part of his support team?
    Could've been just someone linked with the team. Majority fault with the team, but hard to believe he didn't have a computer telling him how long left as well?

Bit of a stupid rule anyway - it's supposed to be to prevent sticky bottles from cars, not really for road side hand ups.

I wouldn't rule it out as tactics though - this way displays no weakness, where as deliberately losing 4 seconds would be interpreted as him not being up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seems like a sponsor might not be mad about seeing the guy with their brand all over him appearing to deliberately relinquish the maillot jaune.

Yeah the French wouldn't like "disrespecting the Yellow" by intentionally losing 4 seconds. Everyone in the top group got the same time yesterday so this was the way to guarantee it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

The Tour Tracker app is worth a look imho. Some nice stats and good interface.

Anyone else having trouble with the Eurosport app? Since I updated it to 8.8.0 it crashes on launch on both my android devices. If I clear cache and storage I can get to a log in screen but then it crashes on the second captcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Anyone else having trouble with the Eurosport app? Since I updated it to 8.8.0 it crashes on launch on both my android devices. If I clear cache and storage I can get to a log in screen but then it crashes on the second captcha.

Mine started crashig yesterday, not sure what time it updated but I was watching a bit of yesterday's stage no problem earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Checked mine there - it's the same.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I'll log a support ticket so

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I'll log a support ticket so

Back working again. Thanks:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sam, can and will win the stage today.

Failing that Roche and Dan Martin to break away after the early climb and will be let go as they are so far back. They go at the stage like a time trial and build up a massive time advantage on the peloton and both get back into GC contention...Sam comes in third on the stage and picks up plenty of points to stay in green and Sagan comes down with a case of the mumps

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

donfers wrote: »
    Sam, can and will win the stage today.

Failing that Roche and Dan Martin to break away after the early climb and will be let go as they are so far back. They go at the stage like a time trial and build up a massive time advantage on the peloton and both get back into GC contention...Sam comes in third on the stage and picks up plenty of points to stay in green and Sagan comes down with a case of the mumps

Sagan getting the mumps? Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

For those with more knowledge than me about these matters - Is there any chance Bennett can compete for green jersey with Sagan in Paris? Are there enough stages where he can pick up points? He looks stronger than Sagan in the pure sprinters stages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

For those with more knowledge than me about these matters - Is there any chance Bennett can compete for green jersey with Sagan in Paris? Are there enough stages where he can pick up points? He looks stronger than Sagan in the pure sprinters stages
    Yes, Sagan dropped his chain in the finale today where if he won he could have got 50 points in the Green Jersey contest. As it stands he is only 9 points ahead of Sam so all still to play for, if Sagan had finished top 3 today the dream was probably over..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I wonder how DQT are feeling tonight. If you wanted to be harsh about it you could say that they've now pissed away the yellow and green jersey after making very amateur mistakes. Bora were very impressive but how did DQT not keep Sam in that group with Sagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I wonder how DQT are feeling tonight. If you wanted to be harsh about it you could say that they've now pissed away the yellow and green jersey after making very amateur mistakes. Bora were very impressive but how did DQT not keep Sam in that group with Sagan?

2 very easily avoidable mistakes and yesterday you would really expect better from the team that think they are masters of the crosswinds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

eeeee wrote: »
    Do ITV4 do highlights? It's saying the live coverage it not available in my area (Dublin) :( I am hoping a highlights package would be.

They do indeed at 19.00 daily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd love to know the actual thinking after the actual race is over as the conspiracy theories over their tactics are too far fetched in my opinion. Sadly I think it might just be a case that the management, are really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

breezy1985 wrote: »
    2 very easily avoidable mistakes and yesterday you would really expect better from the team that think they are masters of the crosswinds

I don't think Sam would have been able to keep up on the hills anyway. I think Bora played a perfect game yesterday, shame Sagan didn't get to finish it for the effort they put in but equally now I hope Sam can contest the green!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Does anyone enjoy Bradley Wiggins contributions during the race or even in the Breakaway show? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Does anyone enjoy Bradley Wiggins contributions during the race or even in the Breakaway show? I don't.

I've had just about enough of his Irish accent in his podcast. Kept putting on an Irish accent when Kelly was on the podcast the last day. Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Raoul Duke wrote: »

No.

He's playing (or trying to play) the part of geezer and serious analyst at the same time and it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Wagner Wiggins is a pain in ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Wagner Wiggins is a pain in ass

Im sick of hearing Rob Hatch tell us about the uninterrupted coverage on ES and GCN followed 10 seconds later by an interruption by Wiggins

Advertisement