Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Very disappointed with the lack of UK Cycling Expert this tour. Missing out on so much but as he says himself there's no British riders in the tour so not much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

neris wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the lack of UK Cycling Expert this tour. Missing out on so much but as he says himself there's no British riders in the tour so not much interest

Well if you listen to The Breakaway tonight you'll hear Wiggins try to claim him as British

"We could almost consider him British. I know you lot won't like that, will you?" he says to Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭ratracer

G1032 wrote: »
    Well if you listen to The Breakaway tonight you'll hear Wiggins try to claim him as British

"We could almost consider him British. I know you lot won't like that, will you?" he says to Kelly.

In a discussion of people I irrationally can’t stand, he nearly always comes out on top. Never warmed to him at all, he’s a toss pot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    neris wrote: »
    The ads on itv4 are desperate. How many life insurance ads can you fit into one day of the tour
    Not as bad as Eurosport adds - elephants going extinct!
    Hmmm, life insurance for elephants could be a good business idea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Wiggo is a bit of a geezer isn’t he..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Thinks he is.

Catching up on podcasts earlier and 1 he was on talking about been on a climb with andy schleck in a race quoting lines from the film Snatch. Proper geezer film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

ratracer wrote: »
    In a discussion of people I irrationally can’t stand, he nearly always comes out on top. Never warmed to him at all, he’s a toss pot!

Not sure that's necessarily "irrational". He's become a Clarksonesque attention seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think he's alright :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What odds were Bookmakers giving on Sam Bennett winning a stage in the Tour.?
    Probably short enough i would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

G1032 wrote: »

Said the man born in Belgium to an Australian father......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Bradley 'Wagner' Wiggins has issues ..not least I'd say drink

He just got divorced after a long marriage and of course there were all the issues with his Dad who was an alcoholic and was beaten to death after mouthing off in a pub and Wiggins Mom who was 17 when she had him and he was raised by his grand parents because he father abandoned them when Wiggo was a baby and his mother went on to have another marriage and family.He grew up in a council estate in Kilburn

He can be arrogant ,foul mouthed and a tosser but his achievements after all that are remarkable and admirable
    He has many problems and I'd say he is a nightmare at times but you also got to say that he is probably the most interesting and funny character in any room at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Bradley 'Wagner' Wiggins has issues ..not least I'd say drink

He just got divorced after a long marriage and of course there were all the issues with his Dad who was an alcoholic and was beaten to death after mouthing off in a pub and Wiggins Mom who was 17 when she had him and he was raised by his grand parents because he father abandoned them when Wiggo was a baby and his mother went on to have another marriage and family.He grew up in a council estate in Kilburn

He can be arrogant ,foul mouthed and a tosser but his achievements after all that are remarkable and admirable
    He has many problems and I'd say he is a nightmare at times but you also got to say that he is probably the most interesting and funny character in any room at any time

Sorry but of what relevance is him growing up on a council estate or his parent remarrying. Happens to lots of people unless of course you come from the posh parts of town where instead of getting a divorce your father just gets a mistress and some hookers and your mother gets the local barman from the council estate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He definitely looks like a man who ia enjoying his retirement...no longer has the physique of a cyclist anyway

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Sorry but of what relevance is him growing up on a council estate or his parent remarrying. Happens to lots of people unless of course you come from the posh parts of town where instead of getting a divorce your father just gets a mistress and some hookers and your mother gets the local barman from the council estate

His father abandoned him as a baby ...and his mother left too a few years after .......its not the same as parents getting remarried and its ridiculous to equate it to such unless you dont understand which I guess you dont

I wrote that to try and put forward why he is such a complex character

• Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

His father abandoned him as a baby ...and his mother left too a few years after .......its not the same as parents getting remarried and its ridiculous to equate it to such unless you dont understand which I guess you dont

I wrote that to try and put forward why he is such a complex character

His mother didnt abandon him she just remarried.
    And you didnt put all that forward to "put forward why he is such a complex character" you put it forward to claim he had a drink problem and your whole post stank of utter snobbery

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: If you want to explain the relevance to me via PM to the TDF, fire away but let's leave the Wiggins conversation at that.

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: If you want to explain the relevance to me via PM to the TDF, fire away but let's leave the Wiggins conversation at that.

i was accused of being a snob and I cant defend myself ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i was accused of being a snob and I cant defend myself ?

MOD VOICE: to PM after this but I was muting the discussion on Wiggins which was off topic, not targeting you. I was not penalising or giving out to anyone. I will review properly tomorrow

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: to PM after this but I was muting the discussion on Wiggins which was off topic, not targeting you. I was not penalising or giving out to anyone. I will review properly tomorrow

it ok...as far as I am concerned the Wiggins discussion is over and yes it was off topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

retalivity wrote: »
    Don't think it would be stopped, unless there's an explosion of cases and you get multiple teams thrown out.
    Interestingly, Ineos one of the teams with a case - 1 more in the next 8 days and they are out. You'd imagine that whatever staff member had it would have been in close proximity to others within the team bubble, so another positive could not be discounted.

Is that ruling 2 cases in the whole tour or 2 at a time ? If most of the testing is on rest days, 2 in the whole tour seems strange as there is a whole week between them

Is that ruling 2 cases in the whole tour or 2 at a time ? If most of the testing is on rest days, 2 in the whole tour seems strange as there is a whole week between them

Its 2 cases at any point during the tour, AFAIK.
    EDIT: Its 2 positive tests within 7 days - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/08/tour-de-france-race-director-christian-prudhomme-tests-positive-for-covid-19
    Although no riders tested positive, four teams now risk being excluded from the Tour, under the “two strikes and you’re out” protocol if they have another positive test within seven days, after backroom staff from Ineos Grenadiers, Mitchelton-Scott, Cofidis and AG2R tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They'd have to be symptomatic though to get a test though? Next round of testing will be the next rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Would it not be possible to test in-house and if someone is positive send 'em home and give a different reason. Mechanic's wife about to give birth..... Know what I mean?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They'd have to be symptomatic though to get a test though? Next round of testing will be the next rest day.

What makes you think that?

I had my third Covid test yesterday. Expecting result today.

Have had no symptoms.

Pretty sure they are testing every one in the 'racing bubble', and tests are conducted by ASO, not individual teams

retalivity wrote: »
    Pretty sure they are testing every one in the 'racing bubble', and tests are conducted by ASO, not individual teams

I know, but if you're the bloke putting 20 million into a team I think you'd be asking the Doc to test 'em and send the tests to a lab asap. I mean, I would. Don't know if it's doable but it probably is.

They might need a Moto-man to get the swabs to a centre quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Itziger wrote: »
    Would it not be possible to test in-house and if someone is positive send 'em home and give a different reason. Mechanic's wife about to give birth..... Know what I mean?
    You could picture that happening - especially with a certain team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Itziger wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

I had my third Covid test yesterday. Expecting result today.

Have had no symptoms.
    Specifically talking about the Tour. The only random tests are the rest days, as far as I'm aware. So if someone passed on Monday, they won't be tested again until next Monday, unless they are symptomatic.

It wasn't a commentary on wider testing/ testing here/ COVID in general.

• Advertisement

Advertisement