Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,184 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

neris wrote: »

I had a feeling he must have been one of the 6 they said had won a stage from Ireland. I got the other 5 pretty easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Itziger wrote: »
    I know, but if you're the bloke putting 20 million into a team I think you'd be asking the Doc to test 'em and send the tests to a lab asap. I mean, I would. Don't know if it's doable but it probably is.

They might need a Moto-man to get the swabs to a centre quickly.

Haha, Moto-man could get a new career boost in an era of Covid-19 doping /test
    concealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Specifically talking about the Tour. The only random tests are the rest days, as far as I'm aware. So if someone passed on Monday, they won't be tested again until next Monday, unless they are symptomatic.

It wasn't a commentary on wider testing/ testing here/ COVID in general.

So is there a week between the 2 Mondays or 8 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Some were tested on Sunday evening, including Ineos. Hadn't thought of it, but I assume it'd be enough otherwise they'd all be trying to be Sunday first test, Monday 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,389 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Random stat from Le Tour website on Top 10 stage finishes:
    Sean Kelly tops the tally with 121 top 10 sur le Tour ahead of Erik Zabel (111), André Leducq (110), Eddy Merckx (106), Joop Zoetemelk (103), Stan Ockers (102), Jan Janssen (98), Antonin Magne (97), Nicolas Frantz (96), Gustave Garrigou (95), Gerben Karstens (93), André Darrigade (92), Raymond Poulidor (89) and Sylvère Maes (81).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Random stat from Le Tour website on Top 10 stage finishes:
    Sean Kelly tops the tally with 121 top 10 sur le Tour ahead of Erik Zabel (111), André Leducq (110), Eddy Merckx (106), Joop Zoetemelk (103), Stan Ockers (102), Jan Janssen (98), Antonin Magne (97), Nicolas Frantz (96), Gustave Garrigou (95), Gerben Karstens (93), André Darrigade (92), Raymond Poulidor (89) and Sylvère Maes (81).

Bennett's win yesterday put Ireland ahead of Sagan for stage wins - 13 to 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is it just me or does any one think the young rider jersey is pointless in this day & age? The lads riding for it are at such a high level theyre regularly up there or ahead of the older guys. Alot of them have a few years at GT level before theyre even 25.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

until Sam climbs Alpe D'huez backwards averaging 450 watts he is not entering the pantheon of Irish sporting greats for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is it just me or does any one think the young rider jersey is pointless in this day & age? The lads riding for it are at such a high level theyre regularly up there or ahead of the older guys. Alot of them have a few years at GT level before theyre even 25.

Yeah should just be for debutants in my opinion. If a dubtant like Bernal wins it fair enough. Silly seeing him and Quintana previously leading it having been podium in previous years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

How about a Gold jersey for the plus 35s?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

I always liked the idea of the combination classification at La Vuelta, do they still do that? Definitely favoured GC men as well though. What about a breakaway classification? Make the combativity award a bit more prestigious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Sponsored by Werthers Originals

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I always liked the idea of the combination classification at La Vuelta, do they still do that? Definitely favoured GC men as well though. What about a breakaway classification? Make the combativity award a bit more prestigious.

For the Vuelta anyway, the overall GC leader would probably be leading the combination classification for a lot of the time

The Valverde jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The Valverde jersey

Well Richie Porte is wearing it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Whatever suits The organisers, it would appear.
    "Clock has been reset"
    The tests, at the rest day, appear now to be irrelevant, as far as two strikes and you're out, is concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Unless you get two positives in the same batch, or one of the positives had infected someone else at breakfast table etc and the team declares that person as positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Is it the giro that has a load of jerseys to be won ? At least with the tour it’s just 4 . Although I would dump the white jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is it the giro that has a load of jerseys to be won ? At least with the tour it’s just 4 . Although I would dump the white jersey

Bring back the Combined Jersey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

these days there are just 4 jerseys for all 3 grand tours - overall, points, mountains and youth.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    UCI Rule that the max is 4, up to the race which 4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pete K really grates on me on the ITV coverage, I'm not sure why. He's a bit- there's nothing to him iykwim? Even when he's saying something interesting it's hard to get through his delivery. Chris boardman is excellent though.

eeeee wrote: »
    Pete K really grates on me on the ITV coverage, I'm not sure why. He's a bit- there's nothing to him iykwim? Even when he's saying something interesting it's hard to get through his delivery. Chris boardman is excellent though.

Was it ITV or Eurosport that used to have Simon Gerrans on? I liked him on commentary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Was it ITV or Eurosport that used to have Simon Gerrans on? I liked him on commentary.

Simon Gerrans I like.
    I think I judge P.K to harshly as a person cos I always thought he was a prick as a rider.

eeeee wrote: »

He comes across on their podcast as a bit of dope and is there to be the idiot to make the others look smart. His shirts & jackets look like the wardrobe dept got a bargain deal on 90s boy band outfits

• Registered Users Posts: 26,184 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Macy0161 wrote: »
    UCI Rule that the max is 4, up to the race which 4.

Yep 4 as a rule for the grand tours only and all 3 GTs go with the same 4 just different colours and slightly different scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What kinds of GPS headunits do the pros use? I saw an FDJ rider with a cool thin white one yesterday and Hirschi today had a cool red one. Didn't look like any Garmin I ever saw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

fat bloke wrote: »
    What kinds of GPS headunits do the pros use? I saw an FDJ rider with a cool thin white one yesterday and Hirschi today had a cool red one. Didn't look like any Garmin I ever saw

A few of them use the SRM PC8 I think, might be that one. You'll see a good few Garmin's and Wahoo's though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

fat bloke wrote: »

sigma ?
    https://teamsunweb.com/equipment/sigma/

VRA1912141202_SunwebCalpe_7059-1.jpg

Advertisement