Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

There's the ITT at Tirreno-Adriatico to be watched today.
    Giro Rosa too.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Giro Rosa too.

Think I saw it mentioned that today's stage would be the longest ever in a women's stage race at 170km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Think I saw it mentioned that today's stage would be the longest ever in a women's stage race at 170km.

What we have been able to see of it has been great; gravel sectors on stage 2 looked brutal.

Seems that the JV TdF team have benefited from being able to train outdoors all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

The Belgians,Dutch and Slovenians were able to train outside all year

Te italians and Spanish and French were locked up for about 10- 12 weeks

I think the Italians came off worse cos soem like Viviani couldnt even train on their balconies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The Belgians,Dutch and Slovenians were able to train outside all year

Te italians and Spanish and French were locked up for about 10- 12 weeks

I think the Italians came off worse cos soem like Viviani couldnt even train on their balconies
    Not sure I'd read too much into that, cycling the hills of Belgium/Netherlands would prep you for Grand Colombier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Could be something in that alright. Much easier to put the hours in outside and a couple of hours into a strong headwind will give some sort of climb simulation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Is tomorrow stage considered in the Alps or just Thursday and Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd read too much into that, cycling the hills of Belgium/Netherlands would prep you for Grand Colombier.

Better than sitting on a turbo trainer and much better motivation wise. Lockdown in an apartment for 6 weeks can't have been much fun as a professional cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The French are mostly goosed through post lockdown injury and the Italians had no one reliable at the tour as for the Spanish they are doing great so don't know how anything can be taken from lockdown conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The French are mostly goosed through post lockdown injury and the Italians had no one reliable at the tour as for the Spanish they are doing great so don't know how anything can be taken from lockdown conditions

How many of them would live in their home country tho? Dan Martin lives in Andorra doesn't he? I would have thought any GT contender would live somewhere hillier than Holland/Belgium

Well what can be taken is many Spanish needed time to catch up and I was talking about all riders not just GC

It is very evident Viviani is no where near form

Also Sagan took a while to get back up there as he doesnt ride in door trainers

Also it well known that many riders need racing to get any form while other can just do training

Lock down imo has and will continue to have an impact esp as we go on as many severely restricted will not have a good base as Sean Kelly keeps saying

How many of them would live in their home country tho? Dan Martin lives in Andorra doesn't he? I would have thought any GT contender would live somewhere hillier than Holland/Belgium

They live in Monaco,Andorra or Verasse

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Carlton rambling on about his book again! Anyone read it. I presume not worth reading!

The Buster wrote: »
    Carlton rambling on about his book again! Anyone read it. I presume not worth reading!

I had the audiobook on the phone during a free trial of audible and turned it off almost straight away as it was him reading it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Rob Hatch back now thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Well what can be taken is many Spanish needed time to catch up and I was talking about all riders not just GC

It is very evident Viviani is no where near form

Also Sagan took a while to get back up there as he doesnt ride in door trainers

Also it well known that many riders need racing to get any form while other can just do training

Lock down imo has and will continue to have an impact esp as we go on as many severely restricted will not have a good base as Sean Kelly keeps saying

Vivianis problems have nothing to do with lockdown his forms been crap since he left DQS

I was quoting what Vivani said about his lockdown affecting his form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've just been looking at the betting odds on TdF.
    For the Points Jersey:
    Bennett is 1/3
    Sagan is 5/2
    Trentin is 9/1
    I would have thought the odds would be tighter.

And for Yellow:
    Roglic is 4/11
    Pogacar is 5/2
    Again I thought odds would be closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've just been looking at the betting odds on TdF.
    For the Points Jersey:
    Bennett is 1/3
    Sagan is 5/2
    Trentin is 9/1
    I would have thought the odds would be tighter.

And for Yellow:
    Roglic is 4/11
    Pogacar is 5/2
    Again I thought odds would be closer.

What’s the KOM odds? That’s wide open going into the queens stage tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Same site.

K.O.M. final standings:
    Pogacar 9/4
    Rolland 13/5
    Roglic 17/2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

This is a good laugh. Not far off on Shane Archibold

https://twitter.com/tomowencc/status/1305908051912916992?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Anyone got a link to a decent map of the stages ?

The official letour one is quite confusing, hard to tell at a glance which stage is which

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

Anyone got a link to a decent map of the stages ?

The official letour one is quite confusing, hard to tell at a glance which stage is which

Try the App. I find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Steephill.tv have them individually in jpg format

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

How many abandonments today then? Given the finish like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

godtabh wrote: »

That’s putting a dent in my theory that he was trying to allow a big time gap to be left attack for a stage win.

Brailsford probably isn’t great company at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Listening to the itv podcast on yesterday's stage and its like listening to a bunch of giddy kids who've had to much sugar. Amateurish and all over the place

Advertisement