Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

breezy1985 wrote: »
    havent read it yet but "Riding in the Zone Rouge: The Tour of the Battlefields 1919" about a race through the WW1 battlefields. Crazy thing about the Zone Rouge is it an area in France that its still illegal to build a house or farm because of all the toxins and bombs from WW1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Rouge

Sure the farmers in parts of France and Belgium where the war was fought regularly plough up ammunition and explosives. Paris roubaix isn't called the hell of the north cause is a hard race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

The death of Marco Pantani probably my favourite cycling related book. Also enjoyed the slaying the badger, domestique and a few others already mentioned. Must give the Fignon one a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I found Full Gas, very interesting. Book about the tactics of bike racing
    9781787290204.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In my experience, you can pretty much rely on any Peter Cossins book!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Inquitus wrote: »
    We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon, the English translation is well worth a read.

Seems an odd name for a cycling autobiography but very Fignon I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭geotrig

like the full gas book cover :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Inquitus wrote: »
    We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon, the English translation is well worth a read.

Great book but it shares a certain similarity with David Millar's "Racing Through The Dark" in that the author is unwilling to accept personal responsibility for anything that goes wrong

Race goes well: - It was me and only me. No-one else. What team?
    Race goes badly: - It was entirely someone else's fault

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Looking forward to the Bob Jungels autobiography myself, The Jungel Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Tim76 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Bob Jungels autobiography myself, The Jungel Book.

Hmmmm.... That sounds like something Carlton Kirby would say!

• Advertisement

See the Giro Rossa started in a shopping centre today. Next year's TDF stage 1 to finish in the freezer aisle of the local Carrefour

neris wrote: »
    See the Giro Rossa started in a shopping centre today. Next year's TDF stage 1 to finish in the freezer aisle of the local Carrefour

TdF started in a shopping centre is Brussels a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

After three weeks staring at the Lidl on the Quickstep arses and arms, I've just noticed the Crivit on the kit. Surely Lidl don't supply the kit for DQS???

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    After three weeks staring at the Lidl on the Quickstep arses and arms, I've just noticed the Crivit on the kit. Surely Lidl don't supply the kit for DQS???

Probably a rebrand. It happens a fair bit with the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Probably a rebrand
    Not even - they're made and branded as vermarc. It's just (effective?) advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

So we won't be getting CrivitPRO Sam Bennet signed green jerseys in the middle isle of Lidl next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

yo can get the other national champion jerseys on their team shop site, but not the Irish one :(

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    So we won't be getting CrivitPRO Sam Bennet signed green jerseys in the middle isle of Lidl next week?

Pity there isn't any posters or cutouts of Sam around Lidl. I know cycling isn't big here but it's an easy cash in for them.

Would be great if the closest Lidl to Carrick on Suir will have those awful looking window paintings like Supermacs have for the hurling

Boscoirl wrote: »
    yo can get the other national champion jerseys on their team shop site, but not the Irish one :(

You can buy it on the Vermarc site.
    But nat. champions kits should be earned not bought

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Pity there isn't any posters or cutouts of Sam around Lidl. I know cycling isn't big here but it's an easy cash in for them.

Would be great if the closest Lidl to Carrick on Suir will have those awful looking window paintings like Supermacs have for the hurling

How haven't we thought of it already?
    Let's tweet @lidl.
    They're great at responding.

• Advertisement

Great, the 1st Saturday in years I'm going to be able watch the last Saturday of the Tour and its feckin TT. **** you level 3 restrictions

Any Lidl under construction now will be a rushed job to get Sam in to cut the ribbon on the opening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

neris wrote: »
    Any Lidl under construction now will be a rushed job to get Sam in to cut the ribbon on the opening

Why cut the ribbon...ride through it on his bike

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Lidl is the new nissan dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Lidl is the new nissan dealership

I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't get it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Ireland

Tour of Ireland, AKA Nissan International Classic from 1985 to 1992

They should definitely tap Lidl for Rás sponsorship after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The more I watch the Breakaway show the more I start to think that Wiggins is actually alright on it. He does come out with the odd stupid statement like the bit about claiming Sam, but in general he's okay to listen to.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_of_Ireland

Tour of Ireland, AKA Nissan International Classic from 1985 to 1992

1570178473954.jpg--.jpg?1570178473000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Sprint through at 75kmh with a token Slovakian a good bit behind

Advertisement