Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 general thread (SPOILERS GALORE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well since he didn't start I'm not surprised :confused:

I think he thought he was starting ;)

https://twitter.com/johndegenkolb/status/1299673684123291648?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Itziger wrote: »
    What's the story with Sivakov? He'd be a big loss this early on for Ineos.

I wonder if he could suffer for a couple of days and stick with the sprinters pace to allow recovery then for the final 2 weeks to help Bernal.

Ha just watching the highlights on TG4 was expecting the Ozzy lads, but it's the Irish lads. When Sam crashed "Níl sé gortaithe, ach tá an rothar banjaxed" :D

EDIT: Another cracker "Tá an rothar marbh"

It's odd the roads look far worse than they did in HD on eurosport , in SD on TG4 you can clearly see how bad they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ha just watching the highlights on TG4 was expecting the Ozzy lads, but it's the Irish lads. When Sam crashed "Níl sé gortaithe, ach tá an rothar banjaxed" :D

EDIT: Another cracker "Tá an rothar marbh"

It's odd the roads look far worse than they did in HD on eurosport , in SD on TG4 you can clearly see how bad they were.

That's just the individual pixels you are seeing :D

What I did see quite clearly in those highlights was how close Sam actually was to that crash, looked to have happened right behind him.

• Advertisement

The breakaway is on Eurosport player and GCN pass but no Orla Chennaoui? Thought she did a decent job last year but seems to have been elbowed out by the GNC thing. She had some stuff up during lockdown including interviewing Wiggo about his career and the Olympics.

ITV as usual had decent highlights package, even from a tent in Kent.

EDIT: Oh there she is reading tweets in a different room ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

The breakaway is on Eurosport player and GCN pass but no Orla Chennaoui? Thought she did a decent job last year but seems to have been elbowed out by the GNC thing. She had some stuff up during lockdown including interviewing Wiggo about his career and the Olympics.

ITV as usual had decent highlights package, even from a tent in Kent.

I think she could not travel due to being in a restricted country

f1000 wrote: »
    I think she could not travel due to being in a restricted country

Ah of course. Still though I'd have considered her as senior NCO there vs Dan Lloyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

List of the carnage from today

ASTANA
    Miguel Angel Lopez – Crashed into a bush and a sign, regained contact with the peloton.
    Luis Leon Sanchez – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt. Finished with the peloton.

BAHRAIN-MCLAREN
    Rafael Valls – Injured leg, taken away in an ambulance, out of the race.

BORA-HANSGROHE
    Lennard Kämna – Crash shown in the photo above. Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt.

DECEUNINCK-QUICKSTEP
    Julian Alaphilippe – Crashed on left hip, appears unhurt.

EF PRO CYCLING
    Rigoberto Uran – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt.

GROUPAMA-FDJ
    Thibaut Pinot – Crashed at 3km, torn up kit. Injured right shoulder. Also hit his knee.
    Valentin Madouas – “Just a small crash,” he said after the stage.
    David Gaudu – Sacrum injury.
    William Bonnet: Trauma to the left shoulder and trauma to the left thigh.
    Rudy Molard: Trauma to the knee, skin loss. Also suffered from a direct shock to the inside of the knee.

INEOS GRENADIERS
    Pavel Sivakov – Two crashes, hit both hips and his knee, plans to continue.
    Andrey Amador – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt.

ISRAEL START-UP NATION
    Andrew Greipel – Four stitches on leg.
    Nils Politt – Injured back, X-rays show no fractures.
    Ben Hermans – Injured right wrist. Slight ligament damage, according to his team. X-rays show no fractures.

JUMBO-VISMA
    George Bennett – Crashed twice.
    Tony Martin – Crashed in pileup at 3km to go.
    Robert Gesink – Crashed, no information from team as of yet.

LOTTO-SOUDAL
    John Degenkolb – Deep cuts to both knees. Finished outside time limit by about two minutes.
    Caleb Ewan – Crashed without about 80km to go, appears unhurt.
    Philippe Gilbert – Crashed hard, taken to hospital after the stage. Finished 11 minutes down.

MOVISTAR
    Marc Soler – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt.

NTT PRO CYCLING
    Edvald Boassen Hagen – A few minor scrapes.
    Ryan Gibbons – Hit his shoulder.
    Domenico Pozzovivo – Lost skin on his left leg, required stitches on his elbow.

SUNWEB
    Marc Hirschi – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt.

TREK-SEGAFREDO
    Niklas Eg – High-speed crash, was holding shoulder.

UAE-TEAM EMIRATES
    David De La Cruz – Skin loss, appears otherwise unhurt. Finished with peloton

• Registered Users Posts: 26,182 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What I did see quite clearly in those highlights was how close Sam actually was to that crash, looked to have happened right behind him.

It was one of his leadouts caused it when he bumped into a rider who was right in front of Sam. God knows how he missed him when he went down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Exhibit A on why racing on discs is a stupid idea. Fire up the Benny Hill music.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Gilbert out broken knee cap.

Ah of course. Still though I'd have considered her as senior NCO there vs Dan Lloyd.

Orla lives in Amsterdam I think, so she probably wanted to stay there instead of traveling to the studio in the UK. It would have been a bit weird for the main presenter to not be in the studio with the other analysts so I can understand having Dan as the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

dahat wrote: »
    Gilbert out broken knee cap.

That’s tough - same injury as his last Tour de France in 2018

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Okay, bit late to this and applying the season sticky.

Keep spoilers out of this thread , and talk about days events on the stage threads which yeve been doing anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Safety for the cyclists needs to be taken seriously by the authorities. It is ridiculous that a cyclist like Tony Martin had to neutralise the race yesterday - not the authorities. Cancellara did this before in a previous dangerous TDF some yrs ago. This would not happen in other sports. It was really a 20km race yesterday - it suited the older Kristoff rather than Bennett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

It looks like TG4 are splicing in the live commentary into the highlights package. I thought those lads were on double duty and recording extra content for the evening show — that doesn't seem to be the case.

They have some long days ahead of them as every stage appears to be live from the start. Eurosport have the luxury of swapping pairs of commentators every hour or so. Chapeau to them for their efforts.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    It looks like TG4 are splicing in the live commentary into the highlights package. I thought those lads were on double duty and recording extra content for the evening show — that doesn't seem to be the case.

They have some long days ahead of them as every stage appears to be live from the start. Eurosport have the luxury of swapping pairs of commentators every hour or so. Chapeau to them for their efforts.

At least they go to the trouble of getting someone one on editing duty. Even itv, eurosport doing the same thing as ever and think showing the last hour as highlights is grand.

I have to say though I liked the ozzy lads in previous years tg4 highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Are Nico and Dan( or Sam) doing newspaper articles this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Nico diary is in the Indo

This with Sean Kelly

https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/1300341805335052288?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Weepsie wrote: »
    Okay, bit late to this and applying the season sticky.

Keep spoilers out of this thread , and talk about days events on the stage threads which yeve been doing anyway

You might need to amend the thread title, which includes the phrase "may contain spoilers"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gamma1 wrote: »
    Safety for the cyclists needs to be taken seriously by the authorities. It is ridiculous that a cyclist like Tony Martin had to neutralise the race yesterday - not the authorities. Cancellara did this before in a previous dangerous TDF some yrs ago. This would not happen in other sports. It was really a 20km race yesterday - it suited the older Kristoff rather than Bennett.
    I'm about meh about Tony Martins Jax Teller impression. Kinda think it's up to the individual riders when it comes to things like that - how fast or slow is up to them. Didn't mind Astana ignoring it, yet at the same time thought their outcome was funny (as Lopez wasn't hurt).

As for Kristoff - him and Pedersen being up there suggests it was a hard day and one for the tough men, rather than just a "20km race" for me! Sam just made rubbish choices in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Finally working from home has a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I agree, getting paid to watch the TDF is pretty sweet.

bazermc wrote: »
    Finally working from home has a benefit.

I'm looking after my parents' dog and watching the stage because today is a homework day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Is the eurosport website working ?

Fine yesterday, dark blue page today with just a customer service link

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/tubed-clinchers-just-won-their-first-tour-de-france-stage/

Yesterday's stage win was the first in nearly 39 years won on clinchers

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/tubed-clinchers-just-won-their-first-tour-de-france-stage/

Yesterday's stage win was the first in nearly 39 years won on clinchers

I think at one point yesterday or maybe it was today in the coverage they showed the lads back in the day with the inner tubes wrapped about them.

Advertisement