Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof felt replacement

Options
  • 19-08-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys
    Im looking for an approx price to replace felt under roof tiles.
    House built in late 70s. Have a leak in the back bedroom and checked the attic and there is felt missing ripped etc. Seems to be in the lower end of the roof. Also seem to have damp walls and window surround so this could be the problem. Has anybody got this replaced? What is an approx price? How long did it take?

Take off tiles take off battons take off felt put new breathable membrane new battons and reuse tiles.
    3 bed semi dublin.
    Thanks
    Ste.

Comments

I got this done recently - total was €3.6k but that included a number of repairs that were required. I'd say without the other work it would have been about €2.7k. Bear in mind I have a very small roof, approx 28sqm.

We got a number of quotes which varied WILDLY. All of them had good reviews online. Some offered to do patch jobs, others said no self-respecting roofer would do that (the old felt was in a very bad way). One guy quoted us close to €10k. We really don't know anything about roofing other than what YouTube could tell us, so in the end we went for the crowd that seemed the most legit/trustworthy, which was the €3.6k quote. They emailed us a copy of a paper quote, a copy of their insurance cert, and they were members of the national tradesmen's guild, so in the end that seemed the best route to go down, but they weren't the cheapest offer.

They said it would take 2 days, but it's a pretty weather dependent job, so when a good day hit they brought an army of guys over and got it done in a day - they were gone before we were finished work.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

Thanks.
    I went on to online tradesman and am getting guys to come out. Spoke to 1 and he aaid ballpark 7.5k but needs a survey. Another guy 9750. Think ill get a few quotes first. Might even get velux roof put in just in case i do the attic down the line.
    I got this done recently - total was €3.6k but that included a number of repairs that were required. I'd say without the other work it would have been about €2.7k. Bear in mind I have a very small roof, approx 28sqm.

We got a number of quotes which varied WILDLY. All of them had good reviews online. Some offered to do patch jobs, others said no self-respecting roofer would do that (the old felt was in a very bad way). One guy quoted us close to €10k. We really don't know anything about roofing other than what YouTube could tell us, so in the end we went for the crowd that seemed the most legit/trustworthy, which was the €3.6k quote. They emailed us a copy of a paper quote, a copy of their insurance cert, and they were members of the national tradesmen's guild, so in the end that seemed the best route to go down, but they weren't the cheapest offer.

They said it would take 2 days, but it's a pretty weather dependent job, so when a good day hit they brought an army of guys over and got it done in a day - they were gone before we were finished work.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Toby22

Hi
    Family member a roofer and he has done jobs for Xk that other quotes given were double and triple what he charged. Ask the companies that supply the materials for their list of recommended contractors

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Mind sending on who you got to do the job?

Advertisement