Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring Bedroom Numbers to Local Authority

Options
  • 19-08-2020 3:54pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

My house is 4 bedroom, but the previous owner basically put a 5th bedroom in as part of an extension, but wasn't really registered as one. It was used as a 'granny flat' though before we bought the house.

I want to declare or correct the intended use of this room as the 5th bedroom (I've been using it widely as a 5th bedroom for years really). What legal procedures do I actually need to follow to declare it? Since its an extension and never originally approved as a 5th bedroom in the planning permission, effectively mean I cannot 'legally' declare it? Sorry for the really dumb questions. I can't really find clear answers online about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You don’t declare it anywhere.

If the planning was for an extension, it can be used as a bedroom if it meets the requirements for a habitable space for bedrooms.

Height, area, means of escape, ventilation etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thanks. From what I've read it does meet all criteria and then some (its a large room, bigger than my master bedroom).

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Hmmm Funny enough I had to do out a means test when I went on Job seekers allowance. When I went in for the interview with Intreo one of the questions the case officer asked was how many bedrooms my house had which he wrote down on a piece of paper for some reason.:confused: It never asked on the detailed questionaire i had to write down.
    Stuck out in my head as i thought it was odd. This thread just reminded of it as i didnt think the goverment or local authority needed to know the number of bedrooms in your house either:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 buyersagent

Gumbo wrote: »
    You don’t declare it anywhere.

If the planning was for an extension, it can be used as a bedroom if it meets the requirements for a habitable space for bedrooms.

Height, area, means of escape, ventilation etc
    Agree. The only thing you need to worry about is if the extension had proper planning permission (or it may have been exempt) and if it meets the minimum requirements referred to above. Whether you use it as a bedroom, office or living room is not something the council needs to be advised of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Is there a chance with the LPT being revised in November that the self declaration of 2013 might change to account for number of bedrooms?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hmmm Funny enough I had to do out a means test when I went on Job seekers allowance. When I went in for the interview with Intreo one of the questions the case officer asked was how many bedrooms my house had which he wrote down on a piece of paper for some reason.:confused: It never asked on the detailed questionaire i had to write down.
    Stuck out in my head as i thought it was odd. This thread just reminded of it as i didnt think the goverment or local authority needed to know the number of bedrooms in your house either:confused:

Probably to see if you can rent one out for income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Is there a chance with the LPT being revised in November that the self declaration of 2013 might change to account for number of bedrooms?

Self declaration is that you self assess the value of the property yourself which then falls within the various LPT bands. LPT bands/basis will not change...only property values. Which is important when selling a house that there wasnt a potential understatement for LPT purposes.

Advertisement