Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an existing trademark as part of a business name

Options
  • 19-08-2020 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to setup a new business name/website and I have a noun I want to use as part of my name.

Let's say I want to name it Everest Adventure, looking here:

https://eregister.patentsoffice.ie/query/TMQuery.aspx

Everest on it's own is registered, and so is Everest Glacier, and several other with a removed status containing Everest.

In this case is Everest Adventure OK? As an RBN of a LTD company?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Once it cannot be reasonably confused with another name, there's no problem.

You can have McDonald's bicycles, McDonald's supermarket, McDonald's gift shop, but not McDonald's Cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Darc19 wrote: »
    Once it cannot be reasonably confused with another name, there's no problem.

You can have McDonald's bicycles, McDonald's supermarket, McDonald's gift shop, but not McDonald's Cafe

That's great, thanks.

Is there a concise explanation of these rules anyhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Darc19 wrote: »

Maybe, but if McDonald's sue, they have deep pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Maybe, but if McDonald's sue, they have deep pockets.

McDonalds Cycles have been operating for many years without any problem as has McDonalds Bridal, Old McDonalds Farm Foods, McDonalds convenience store (new ross), McDonalds Pub (plenty of them) and I'm sure there are many more examples

Once it does not cause confusion in the eyes of a customer, and you are not making any attempt to take advantage of the trademark, it would not be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

That's great, thanks.

Is there a concise explanation of these rules anyhere?

Basically when you register a trademark you have to choose the Madrid class(es) which it applies to.

There's a load of them and a trademark can be registered for multiple classes of goods / services.

So as in the example, McDonald's would have protection for a variety of classes related to food services, but it's highly unlikely they have it for say plumbing.

The other thing with trademarks is that, depending on the jurisdiction, you will need to prove usage, so this is meant to stop companies blocking a term in areas that they have no valid interest

Also if you're going down the trademark route and can prove use etc., then you'd probably be better off getting an EU trademark directly than just an Irish one.

The issue of "confusion" is a bit of a quagmire and even if you check the Irish trademark register you'd also need to check the EU one.

HTH

Michele

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Many thanks Michele, that is useful information!

Advertisement