Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the story with all the junkies in Cork City

Options
  • 19-08-2020 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

This is my 3rd day in Cork City on a family break and there are junkies everywhere. We're staying in a hotel close to the bus eireann terminal and they are literally everywhere and I'm not exaggerating. They are lying on the street in the middle of the day off their faces. Oliver Plunkett St, Patrick St, more or less the whole city centre they are everywhere begging, hassling tourists for money and urinating in broad daylight. I haven't been to Cork City in nearly 20 years and can't believe what I'm seeing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Clementine Fancy Shuffleboard

id hate for you to see Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Yeah it's shocking in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I see Dublin all the time and it's bad I'll agree but Jesus they're very visible in Cork. I lived here for a few months back in the late 90s and never seen anything like this. It's truly awful

They're walking around in gangs. In Dublin they'll mostly be on their own or maybe in twos or threes but these ones are in large groups of 5 to 10 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

There about alright. Around bus station probably worst spot tho.

They never bother anyone tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

The local politicians and Garda management have allowed Cork city to deteriorate. It’s a real mess!
    Winos can drink openly in city centre streets, they can shout and roar as much as they want.
    There is open drug dealing and use,
    No one is tackling the problem and it’s clearly getting worse ....
    Politicians and Garda managers need to wake up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I lived in Cork for almost 10 years from the mid 90s into 2000's.
    Loved it, it was home. Could walk most places without issue day or night.
    Have craic with anyone you met on them travels day and night.

Was at the marquee last summer with the wife and stayed in town for 4 nights and got an awful land..
    Corks changed so much - horrible to see..
    And it was the addicts and their antics that was the first thing we commented on.

corkgsxr wrote: »

They're bothering plenty of people for "a euro for a bottle of water cos I'm parched from living on the streets" seems to be their preferred line. As I sit looking out the hotel window there are now 5 or 6 of them knocking lumps out of each other on a little boardwalk down by the water and the wind is how long around them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Covid has made them more visible - same in Dublin city centre.

But their numbers are also going up. Which is weird.

As one head of social services in Dublin recently said ....the better the quality of services, the greater the demand.

For some, being a junkie is simply a lifestyle choice. Like going to college or getting a trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

It wasn't too long ago when it was harmless middle aged alcoholics hassling you in Cork. Said to see the Dublin style addict has become prevalent in Cork, but have seen em popping up all over. FFS even Tullamore has a half dozen highly visible ones

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    Covid has made them more visible - same in Dublin city centre.

But their numbers are also going up. Which is weird.

As one head of social services in Dublin recently said ....the better the quality of services, the greater the demand.

For some, being a junkie is simply a lifestyle choice. Like going to college or getting a trade.

Covid can't be blamed for the visibility in Cork though because the city is very busy and still the junkies are sticking out a mile.

Covid can't be blamed for the visibility in Cork though because the city is very busy and still the junkies are sticking out a mile.

Tourism is down, shoppers are down, office workers are WFH. This exposes the cities underbelly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Modern Ireland has not quite reached the implied latterday paradise with the older social strucutres passing away and nothing much has emerged to replace them. Cork has got much rougher over the years that pre-dates Covid.

I agree. The situation was already deteriorating before covid. It simply exacerbated it.

Its not going to improve any time soon. People are just giving up and saying f**k it.

Dublin is on the same trajectory as LA and San Francisco city centres. Cork will be close behind Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

I agree. The situation was already deteriorating before covid. It simply exacerbated it.

Its not going to improve any time soon. People are just giving up and saying f**k it.

Dublin is on the same trajectory as LA and San Francisco city centres. Cork will be close behind Dublin.

I really hope not.. Such a lovely city and people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

This is my 3rd day in Cork City on a family break and there are junkies everywhere. We're staying in a hotel close to the bus eireann terminal and they are literally everywhere and I'm not exaggerating. They are lying on the street in the middle of the day off their faces. Oliver Plunkett St, Patrick St, more or less the whole city centre they are everywhere begging, hassling tourists for money and urinating in broad daylight. I haven't been to Cork City in nearly 20 years and can't believe what I'm seeing.

You mentioned a boardwalk so I'm guessing your staying at the Clayton? There is a Simon hostel right behind the hotel which has always attracted a certain element in the area.
    I've noticed in the last few years when I'm in the city centre particularly on a week day it's akin to being in a zombie film, last week I had one young one off her face asking me three times in the space of an hour for money for the bus to get home.
    The city council.and the Gardaí would want to get their asses in gear.

Seamai wrote: »
    You mentioned a boardwalk so I'm guessing your staying at the Clayton? There is a Simon hostel right behind the hotel which has always attracted a certain element in the area.
    I've noticed in the last few years when I'm in the city centre particularly on a week day it's akin to being in a zombie film, last week I had one young one off her face asking me three time in the space of an hour for money for the bus to get home.
    The city council.and the Gardaí would want to get their asses in gear.

Yep, it's the Clayton. Decent enough hotel but Christ once you go outside it's like the zombie apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yep, it's the Clayton. Decent enough hotel but Christ once you go outside it's like the zombie apocalypse

There's always a few winos around there, but junkies? Unless they mean the same thing these days

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    I really hope not.. Such a lovely city and people.

City council doesnt want to do anything. The ' services ' are improving all the time.

Have a listen to Joe Rogan speaking about LA, and its process of deterioration. It seems to me that Cork/Dublin are on the same path.

https://youtu.be/YJNFkwPQ_fU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Cork City is full of junkies allright although I haven't seen them cause any hassle besides p1ssing all over the streets way more visible during this covid and their numbers have increased -up next will be the beggers from eastern Europe that fly in and put a blanket outside all the cash points think they are due around october

• Advertisement

Yes op it's very bad around that area. Was always a few around, but over the past few weeks their numbers have exploded, with some much rougher / more intimidating looking heads around. The previous, mostly harmless older drinkers seem to actually have been hunted off by this new crowd and now tend to congregate down by the docks.

As to who they are and where they've come from, not entirely sure, but I'd say the large numbers on temporary release from Cork prison might have something to do with it. Also noticed a few of them have definite Dublin accents, maybe they've relocated as they feel the authorities in Cork are a softer touch.

In any case my wife and I are actively avoiding the city centre for the time being. Hopefully things will improve post covid, but if not I fear the city centre is doomed.

The usual heads will be along now to downplay things and tell us every city has these problems, it's always been like this, just covid makes it more visible etc etc.

No. The place has actually deteriorated massively over just a few weeks /months. Turning a blind eye to the problem won't make it go away. Not long I fear until we start getting the first reports of violent crimes being committed against passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I see Dublin all the time and it's bad I'll agree but Jesus they're very visible in Cork. I lived here for a few months back in the late 90s and never seen anything like this. It's truly awful

I've been living in the City since 96 and heroin was virtually unheard of here then. Plenty of winos but it's been creeping in steadily in the last ten or so years and it's gotten ridiculous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

corkgsxr wrote: »

I've experienced and seen very aggressive begging from junkies In recent months. Passing a group on Oliver Plunket St one scumbag aimed a kick at me. Intervened on Sullivans Quay when a female junkie was harassing an elderly woman. This beaut told me to mind my own business and that I didn't know what I was messing with before disappearing.

There was a time when this was true. However of late, the number, the aggressiveness, the large roaming gangs screaming their heads off at each other and just the sheer unrelenting pervasiveness of it in all parts of the city centre, including the main shopping areas, far surpasses anything I've seen in Dublin.

All this said as a Cork man who loves nothing more than taking the piss out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

They're bothering plenty of people for "a euro for a bottle of water cos I'm parched from living on the streets" seems to be their preferred line. As I sit looking out the hotel window there are now 5 or 6 of them knocking lumps out of each other on a little boardwalk down by the water and the wind is how long around them..

I don’t think quenching the thirst is their aim. Since Covid it’s got very bad, a woman was openly shooting up across the road from Anglesea Garda Station.
    The recent retail closures haven’t helped as they’re congregating in the now vacant doorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Yes op it's very bad around that area. Was always a few around, but over the past few weeks their numbers have exploded, with some much rougher / more intimidating looking heads around. The previous, mostly harmless older drinkers seem to actually have been hunted off by this new crowd and now tend to congregate down by the docks.

As to who they are and where they've come from, not entirely sure, but I'd say the large numbers on temporary release from Cork prison might have something to do with it. Also noticed a few of them have definite Dublin accents, maybe they've relocated as they feel the authorities in Cork are a softer touch.

In any case my wife and I are actively avoiding the city centre for the time being. Hopefully things will improve post covid, but if not I fear the city centre is doomed.

The usual heads will be along now to downplay things and tell us every city has these problems, it's always been like this, just covid makes it more visible etc etc.

No. The place has actually deteriorated massively over just a few weeks /months. Turning a blind eye to the problem won't make it go away. Not long I fear until we start getting the first reports of violent crimes being committed against passers by.

i work right by the clayton and park in the underground car park. every morning they are outside in big groups. its very sad for them that its come to that in their lives. however its intimidating for people walking around with the fear that they are off their heads and desperate. as you said it is just a matter of time until a serious incident happens. typical cork mentality is to say its fine and we are a great county etc. its blindingly obvious this is a problem and will only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Before Covid I used to get the train to Dublin regularly for work. For at least the last two years I have noticed a huge increase in the number of junkies heading from Dublin to Cork. They must be shooting up in the toilets because they would be in there for about two hours of the trip. Free travel is part of the problem. There has been a huge increase in the number of Dublin accents, the behaviour and the numbers in the last few years. Had to call the Gardaí because one of them had a group of teenage girls cornered and was demanding money. I’ve seen him being taken away by Gardaí a few times since.

The real issue there is disability allowance.

It can be easily scammed with addiction issues. The stats don't appear in the unemployment figures either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Have had some try initiate physical altercations recently alright. Won't say they "threatened" me, as I'm a physically fit young man and most of these poor fucckers can barely stand while they're roaring abuse at me. Still, not good. I don't know for sure if it's getting worse, but a lot of them seem to be more on edge.

It's really not. Nobody wants this life, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Should be more empathy to go round at the moment the way things are. I'm not talking about excusing violent behaviour, but spreading dehumanising rubbish isn't going to help anyone.

• Advertisement

It's really not. Nobody wants this life, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Should be more empathy to go round at the moment the way things are. I'm not talking about excusing violent behaviour, but spreading dehumanising rubbish isn't going to help anyone.

Disagree. The more empathy directed at the problem, the bigger it gets. You have to see how many there are in Dublin. Quite literally overflowing to the rest of country.

Nobody forces them to take drugs. Actually, you would want to be pretty stupid in this day in age ..unless you're a farmer in Afghanistan.

Compulsory military service for certain males would solve the problem IMO. Or at least keep it to 90's/00s levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement