Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the story with all the junkies in Cork City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Any morning or afternoon, If you walk, say between Cork’s two city centre Garda Stations, starting at the Bridewell going to Anglesea St Garda Station, u will see on average of 30 to 40 winos/junkies along your walk. You more than likely won’t meet a single Garda on the beat!
    Parking outside both stations will be jammed with their cars, so u would wonder what are all the Gardai doing?
    Safest bet is that they are inside the stations either on their Pulse Computers or typing reams of reports to keep their armchair bosses and Free Legal Aid solicitors content and in continuous employment.
    The policing emphasis is about paper pushing and most certainly not about preventing public disorder! Cork city centre is in a steady decline due to poor governance.
    City Hall, Garda management and the courts need to take a long hard look at themselves, get the lead out and start doing what yer paid to do ....... not continue with this cozy inept approach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

You saw three beggars in a city centre and you're losing your shlt!
    Have you been in any other cities?

All I can say is Wow. Just Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

normanbond wrote: »
    Any morning or afternoon, If you walk, say between Cork’s two city centre Garda Stations, starting at the Bridewell going to Anglesea St Garda Station, u will see on average of 30 to 40 winos/junkies along your walk.
    I actually was in the city today, and didn't see one single winos/junkie. Granted it was only a stroll around Patricks street, across Gran Parade and down Oliver Plunkett, but had no issue. I doubt the extra walk to Anglesea St or Cornmarket St would have revealed the 30/40 winos/junkies that are claimed to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I was working there two summers ago, and was asked to clear a chap out of a space at the back of Smyths toys, he wasn't doing much wrong apart from the obvious, had a nice conversation with him, and he was very polite, not all junkies are scumbags. In saying that it is a poor look for the city centre. I always thought Cork turned a bit in the late evening to night time, and I was glad to get home, then when I got home, (to Waterford) there were just as many junkies, but none of them were as polite as the Cork man

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All I can say is Wow. Just Wow

You, quite literally, used the fact that you saw three people begging in the city centre as evidence the city is "****ed".

What's the faux astonishment about?
    Is it to balance the hysteria?

• Advertisement

You, quite literally, used the fact that you saw three people begging in the city centre as evidence the city is "****ed".

What's the faux astonishment about?
    Is it to balance the hysteria?

Did you happen to read the thread? My guess is no, no you didn't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

I actually was in the city today, and didn't see one single winos/junkie. Granted it was only a stroll around Patricks street, across Gran Parade and down Oliver Plunkett, but had no issue. I doubt the extra walk to Anglesea St or Cornmarket St would have revealed the 30/40 winos/junkies that are claimed to be about.

You can get 'lucky'. I traversed a large part of the city 4 times day 5 times a week for a full year upto last March, some days it was the great city I always knew it to be, not so much on other days....some examples of things I saw were:
    A compeltely out-of-it Man roaring at and pushing traffic lights outside the Costcutter on Wash st, as if it were a real person.

Open dealing on James St several times.

Having to physically restrain myself from bashing someones head in after they intimidated my fiancee on MacCurtin street at 5 in the evening.
    Two women smashing a beer bottle off the others for a laugh outside the GPO, being watched by several unsavory types
    Being to told to kill myself for ignoring a beggar on OP street.
    Two female Romanian gypsies intimidating an old man outside the old capitol cinema, intervened until they ****ed off when I took my phone out to call the guards.
    Being hassled for money by three different people in a 20 minute spell sitting outside Costigans having a pint who then on to hassle students at the bus stop nearby.

That's all that comes to mind, but there are definitely more small such incidents I've encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The only way to get a real flavour of the city centre is to spend time there.

Popping in for some shopping means you only spend a few minutes at any give point on your route. There's just so much you can miss.

Its why some people think the problem is exaggerated. However, those of us who live and work in city centres know different.

Biker79 wrote: »
    The only way to get a real flavour of the city centre is to spend time there.

Popping in for some shopping means you only spend a few minutes at any give point on your route. There's just so much you can miss.

Its why some people think the problem is exaggerated. However, those of us who live and work in city centres know different.

I live in the city centre and have done for most of the last 30 years.
    I'm not saying that the city does not have problems with anti social behaviour, begging, homelessness, mental illness, crime and substance abuse. It does, just like every city I've ever been in.

I still say that this thread is full of exaggerated, hysterical nonsense.

So, "those of us who live in the city centre," don't know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'm not saying that the city does not have problems with anti social behaviour, begging, homelessness, mental illness, crime and substance abuse. It does, just like every city I've ever been in.

Yeah this is how I'd see the situation as well, there are junkies/undesirables around the city centre but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. One person saying earlier that they saw around 30/40 junkies in the city centre is way over exaggerated IMO. Most of the time I've seen them they aren't bothering anyone sure they might be having a few cans on the street but I have very rarely seen them shouting at passers-by or harassing the general public. There is no easy or quick solution to the problem either, sure more guards on the street will help but they can't be in every part of the city at all times so they will just move around to avoid them and congregate someone else.

• Advertisement

Ah, now I see your bias. As a visitor to your once beautiful city I can safely say I won't be back any time soon. And if this is my opinion you can be sure that it will also be the opinion of many more visitors which the city relies on. I won't visit or stay in Dublin city for the same reason. Before Covid I visited many other European cities and you just don't see the same problems in the main city centre thoroughfares. Cork City has a massive problem no matter how you try to downplay it.

Ah, now I see your bias. As a visitor to your once beautiful city I can safely say I won't be back any time soon. And if this is my opinion you can be sure that it will also be the opinion of many more visitors which the city relies on. I won't visit or stay in Dublin city for the same reason. Before Covid I visited many other European cities and you just don't see the same problems in the main city centre thoroughfares. Cork City has a massive problem no matter how you try to downplay it.

The problem is how tolerant many Irish people are of this behaviour.

'sure what harm are they doing ' ..

' sure they've had a hard life ( self inflicted) , leave them alone '

' sure let them have their fun ' ..

etc etc.

Ive seen enough to make we want to leave this country and never come back. Its not just the dipsos and junkies...its the people who tolerate them - which includes those working in legal/ social services/ HSE who earn a living off this degeneracy . ' The poverty industry ' in other words.

Its disgusting. Social welfare is enough to give people dignity and a path to better circumstances. Yet still our city centres are full of degenerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Haven't been in town more than a handful of times with the virus. The lack of everyday people around highlights the more unsavory characters that were always there.

Daunt square in particular is a dodgy spot. I wouldn't linger around there too long. That said I've been living in Cork all my 47 years and never had any bother.

This could be down to me looking like one of those unsavory characters though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I used to live in Cork and remember dancing Dave, how is he getting on ?

Harmless aul divel, just liked dancing and listening to tunes.

Hope he's ok

This is great.
    One hysterical poster dismisses everyone who doesn't share their view because they don't actually live in the city, while another poster dismisses the views of anyone who lives in the city due to bias!

I'd love to know when this mythical time in Cork was when we didn't have undesirables on the streets. I don't remember this time.

What I do remember is that people have always complained about how bad things have become compared to the past and I guess they always will. People, on the whole, are extremely predictable and boring, really.

This is great.
    One hysterical poster dismisses everyone who doesn't share their view because they don't actually live in the city, while another poster dismisses the views of anyone who lives in the city due to bias!

I'd love to know when this mythical time in Cork was when we didn't have undesirables on the streets. I don't remember this time.

What I do remember is that people have always complained about how bad things have become compared to the past and I guess they always will. People, on the whole, are extremely predictable and boring, really.

You don't have a whole lot of support here fella. Take off the rose tinted glasses and have a look around. Your city has turned into a **** hole

He probably wears a tracksuit himself so the bums think he's one of them and never hassle him.

Possibly. Some folk just don't like to hear the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I must say ive never had hassle in the city in all the years going in there but their has been an increase i assume down to heroin taking off in cork.I do feel sorry for some of them especially a girl with glasses used to be outside debenhams alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

corkgsxr wrote:
    They never bother anyone tho

They do, they bother people all the time. Try walking to the train station and see if you aren't hassled by at least one. Cork city is gone to the absolute dogs and there's nothing being done about it.

• Advertisement

Was away from Cork for 13 years before I moved back two years ago and have to say I was shocked at how far downhill the city had gone. My family have a business in the city centre and I spent a lot of my youth working there and you'd nearly know all the old winos and drunks by name.

In the last 10 years, heroin has ravaged the city and it's so sad to see the hordes of Cork's first generation of addicts roaming the streets looking for their fix. While in Dublin, you'd know the addicts straight away as the current batch are the third generation from the original outbreak in the 1970s, and they have all the signs of it. In Cork, it's still relatively recent so they look much more respectable but they still have that desperate look in their eyes and can be menacing and intimidating. I've seen lads I went to school with and played sport with when I was very young amongst them and it's heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

nthclare wrote: »

Hope he's ok

Ah he was great!! “I LOVES CHOONS” Dancing Dave. Everyone was mad about him, and he was well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm walking into town for dinner in a few minutes, I'll keep notes about what I see as an experiment. Been in quite a bit over the last few months and haven't received any hassle. Was asked for a Euro once by an old lad standing outside an off licence but wouldn't consider that hassle.

Town was absolutely buzzing today. Loads of families and kids.
    Few people begging alright, nothing out of the ordinary.
    Funny how all these families with children are willing to brave the zombie apocalypse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

nthclare wrote: »

Hope he's ok

Haven't seen him in quite a while, the last few times the poor guy was surrounded by teenagers making fun of him and recording him dancing. I hope he's being taken care of properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Funny how all these families with children are willing to brave the zombie apocalypse!

I was in town yesterday and it was as the same but TBH it's the weekdays that seem to be worse. Until recently I was rarely in town during the week but the atmosphere is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On a Sunday during a pandemic? Who are these people?

What can you do in town on Sunday, the market is closed, galleries are closed... Half the cafes are closed, and it was raining today. You can't bring children into shops.

Or does buzzing mean they were having a great Mass? Pouring out of St Augustine's maybe.

You're full of poo chap. The only person exaggerating on this thread is yourself. Just admit that Cork has a problem and move on. You're the only one seeming to have trouble with the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'm walking into town for dinner in a few minutes, I'll keep notes about what I see as an experiment. Been in quite a bit over the last few months and haven't received any hassle. Was asked for a Euro once by an old lad standing outside an off licence but wouldn't consider that hassle.
    Passed two lads quietly drinking at the top of Douglas St. one of them might have met the description of a junkie, the other was just your regular drunk. Still there when I was on the way home. Nothing else of note this evening.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    On a Sunday during a pandemic? Who are these people?

What can you do in town on Sunday, the market is closed, galleries are closed... Half the cafes are closed, and it was raining today. You can't bring children into shops.

Or does buzzing mean they were having a great Mass? Pouring out of St Augustine's maybe.

Yup, families everywhere.
    Cafes buzzing, queues outside most shops.
    Weather was warm and sunny while I was around town.
    People queuing for ice cream. Buskers in full swing.
    A summer's Sunday in town.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement