Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the story with all the junkies in Cork City

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

This is my 3rd day in Cork City on a family break and there are junkies everywhere. We're staying in a hotel close to the bus eireann terminal and they are literally everywhere and I'm not exaggerating. They are lying on the street in the middle of the day off their faces. Oliver Plunkett St, Patrick St, more or less the whole city centre they are everywhere begging, hassling tourists for money and urinating in broad daylight. I haven't been to Cork City in nearly 20 years and can't believe what I'm seeing.

Where are you from?

I remember many years ago after moving to Cork wandering around the city for the first time and there was something missing it took me awhile to put my finger on it and then it clicked.

The lack of scumbags/knackers/junkies and a vastly reduced amount of complete toss pots. Not to mention the missing anxiety walking the city late at night. Not once in Cork have I ever felt uneasy/unsafe etc.

It's not something I've notice change over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

limnam wrote: »
    Where are you from?

I remember many years ago after moving to Cork wandering around the city for the first time and there was something missing it took me awhile to put my finger on it and then it clicked.

The lack of scumbags/knackers/junkies and a vastly reduced amount of complete toss pots. Not to mention the missing anxiety walking the city late at night. Not once in Cork have I ever felt uneasy/unsafe etc.

It's not something I've notice change over the years.

I lived on Cork myself in the late 90s into early 2000s and I loved the place. Haven't been back until last week and believe me it's changed for the worst. I'd imagine part of the problem seems to be that the locals are in denial about the problem.

Yup, families everywhere.
    Cafes buzzing, queues outside most shops.
    Weather was warm and sunny while I was around town.
    People queuing for ice cream. Buskers in full swing.
    A summer's Sunday in town.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-30961567.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

no were not in denial we are all saying city centre has loads of junkies and are more visible during the covid due to the decrepit condition of the city loads of shops and pubs closed a complete dive

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

This is my 3rd day in Cork City on a family break and there are junkies everywhere. We're staying in a hotel close to the bus eireann terminal and they are literally everywhere and I'm not exaggerating. They are lying on the street in the middle of the day off their faces. Oliver Plunkett St, Patrick St, more or less the whole city centre they are everywhere begging, hassling tourists for money and urinating in broad daylight. I haven't been to Cork City in nearly 20 years and can't believe what I'm seeing.
    Whilst drugs are an epidemic in this country and are in every town and village in Ireland it’s only in the big cities that you really see the extent of it, it’s disgusting and terrible for tourism the guards should have powers to hose them and move them on, personally I’d like to see them all dumped on spike island programs like the young offenders don’t help either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Whilst drugs are an epidemic in this country and are in every town and village in Ireland it’s only in the big cities that you really see the extent of it, it’s disgusting and terrible for tourism the guards should have powers to hose them and move them on, personally I’d like to see them all dumped on spike island programs like the young offenders don’t help either

100%. Like I said, half of the problem is that we are too accepting of this.

............. programs like the young offenders don’t help either

There's no drug use in that program.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What's your point?
    I've never denied that there is a drug problem on the streets of Cork.
    The facet that there are addicts on the streets doesn't take away from the fact that there were thousands of people enjoying the city centre yesterday and many, many of these people were families with children.

Discouraging people from using the city centre due to exaggerated claims of anti social behaviour will actually make what problems that do exist, worse. Busy streets are safer streets.

What's your point?
    I've never denied that there is a drug problem on the streets of Cork.
    The facet that there are addicts on the streets doesn't take away from the fact that there were thousands of people enjoying the city centre yesterday and many, many of these people were families with children.

Discouraging people from using the city centre due to exaggerated claims of anti social behaviour will actually make what problems that do exist, worse. Busy streets are safer streets.

So you still believe all the claims here by various posters are all exaggerated? Ok so, I'm guessing you have a vested interest in getting people to visit the city centre and that's ok, but I can assure you, the claims are not exaggerated.

limnam wrote: »

The lack of scumbags/knackers/junkies and a vastly reduced amount of complete toss pots. Not to mention the missing anxiety walking the city late at night. Not once in Cork have I ever felt uneasy/unsafe etc..................

I'm from Cork and think the city is grand but there's always been scumbags and knackers about.

In the 90s Cook Street used to be mad craic on weekends from 2am ....... plenty folk would have felt uneasy there especially whilst getting battered.

Around by the bus station etc was always a hot spot for undesirables also.... North Main Street used to be grim enough at night also, frequent muggings late at night in the early 00s.

You don't have to feel unsafe to acknowledge it's less than perfect.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    I'm from Cork and think the city is grand but there's always been scumbags and knackers about.

You don't have to feel unsafe to acknowledge it's less than perfect.

There's very few large cities that doesn't have an element of it.

For me in Cork anyway that element is a very low percentage to the point where it's almost not noticeable.

Maybe that element has increased slightly over the last few years. I haven't noticed it personally. But then again I don't go out of my way to go to areas where they might hang out.

Covid will change how a city looks from this perspective though

I've no vested interest in blind denial. I'm just a blow in :)

My daughter lives near the city centre. She told me the junkies and generally aggressive homeless have gone off the charts since the lockdown. I've made a few trips in but haven't really noticed, but then again I'm not there 24/7. There are always some drunk people around Sullivans Quay but other than shouting incoherently at no one in particular don't seem to cause much of an issue.

Augeo wrote: »
    There's no drug use in that program.

No but it would be endemic in that element of society

Biker79 wrote: »
    100%. Like I said, half of the problem is that we are too accepting of this.

Couldn’t agree more, people talk about homelessness but 99.99% of homeless people in this country are junkies and drunks who chose to be homeless
    If you go to Spain or Germany or most other countries they hose the junkies and run them out of town so the tourists don’t have to be looking at them

If you go to Spain or Germany or most other countries they hose the junkies and run them out of town so the tourists don’t have to be looking at them

Really?

That wasn't my experience in Barcelona/London/Munich

Just did a random look on trip advisor.

Visitor to Frankfurt

"Very sorry state of affair at the entrance of main station, there was a distinct stench and a bit scary as homeless people and beggars seem on drug or something and also not many information about the train on english, so it is quite hard for international traveler to discern information on their own."

This is a City where they tried to do on the spot fines to people sleeping in the streets :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see this thread had descended into blatant racist, discriminatory, stereotypical retheoric. I'm out.

I really, can't be arsed arguing with racists and those who support them.
    Or people with "final solutions".

wally1990 wrote: »
    ****ing romas!!

Hate them

My grand aunt was killed years ago by the uninsured Polish truck driver(I actually felt awful for him, he was traumatised and my aunt just walked out in front of him). on Patrick years outside Brown Thomas and many friends, families and general public gave flowers on the street in memory of my grand aunt

Anyway. That Sat night the romas stole all the flowers and tried/did sell them outside the nightclubs

Scum of the earth that group are

That is absolutely disgusting

I see this thread had descended into blatant racist, discriminatory, stereotypical retheoric. I'm out.

I really, can't be arsed arguing with racists and those who support them.
    Or people with "final solutions".

You're a very emotional character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

No one has denied that there is a junkie/homeless problem in the city centre but, everyone's experience of them is different. I've lived in Cork for 30+ years and I haven't never once been hassled by any of them but if you consider them asking for money as hassling you then it's happened a few times.

What is rather disturbing though is some poster's shouting about solutions and to just kick them out and if anyone goes against that point of view their labelled as being "soft" on them or enabling them by not caring enough. It is a complex problem that has no quick easy fix. We only see that person as the junkie that they are in that moment and not the other 99% of their life which has led up to to that point.

So forgive me for showing a bit of empathy for a person that is struggling and obviously has addiction issues but according to some posters I don't care enough about the problem and I'm in denial :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Dont confuse ' racism ' for in/ out group preferences and discrimination based on behaviour. Its not the same thing.

People are right to call out poor standards of behaviour and if that happens to correspond to them being an identifiable group, so be it.

I've seen groups of people being ejected by security guards week in week out at the ilac centre, Dublin, for shop lifting. They fit the description of Roma. They are shoplifters first, and Roma second.

Ive also seen groups of people dealing and taking drugs along the same street. They are junkies first and Irish second.

See how it works? Its not racism. Not surprised people will try play the victim card though - rather than change their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Couldn’t agree more, people talk about homelessness but 99.99% of homeless people in this country are junkies and drunks who chose to be homeless

You're joking, surely.

Most aggressive beggars etc I have ever come across have consistently been in Berlin. I've lived in various places in eastern Germany and traveled across the country generally, where the situation was similar. Very visible, aggressive, people with problems.

Cork has a ways to go to rival this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ah lads, would ye stop. Thread closed to save my head exploding from all the nonsense, bigotry & hatred posted here.
    While its closed, please go off and look up the meaning of the word 'discussion'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement