Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB connection to farm

Options
  • 19-08-2020 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Anyone know what the ESB charge for a reconnection? I currently have an ESB connection on the farm coming through an old dwelling house but the house is in a poor state of repair and the ESB needs to be disconnected. As far as I am aware there is no charge for disconnecting but there will be when I try to reconnect up. Have googled it online but I can't find anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Anyone know what the ESB charge for a reconnection? I currently have an ESB connection on the farm coming through an old dwelling house but the house is in a poor state of repair and the ESB needs to be disconnected. As far as I am aware there is no charge for disconnecting but there will be when I try to reconnect up. Have googled it online but I can't find anything.

As far as I know, you send in application, they send a lad and out to assess and based on that you get a fee, probably 4 or 5 hundred depending on where the nearest poll is. It’s a farm connection not a residential connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,505 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Might you consider moving it? You could even build a wall to house the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Water John wrote: »
    Might you consider moving it? You could even build a wall to house the meter.

To move the metre box you will have to get the ESB and they charge 440 plus VAT for it (robbery)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thegingerbear

It's the meter box which has to be relocated. The pole feeding the property could probably stay in its current location. An outdoor location is probably the best solution for the meter box once it is secure. Then anyone could read the meter.

k mac wrote: »
    To move the metre box you will have to get the ESB and they charge 440 plus VAT for it (robbery)

Yes, but move it once. If the OP refurbishes the house he then won't have to apply for a re-connection. The other risk now is that, once the supply is disconnected, the supporting infrastructure, wire poles and transformer are listed for removal as well. A new connection would be about €2K. Pay the €440 and hold your nose. The connection is always handy for fencer etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thegingerbear

The house has been empty for 30 yrs but both the house and the farm were being fed off the same metre box which am sure the ESB would not allow if they were aware of it. The house will probably never be lived in again. However, when the ESB disconnect the meter and I request a new meter for the farm they will look on the farm as a new connection and according above that will be around €2k. Not sure what to do but it will have to be sorted out sooner or later.

Are you saying that the rent on the meter has been paid over the 30 yrs? Just if the connection is there all you need to do is move it ie €440. Not sure of the differentiation you're making between a house and farm connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

The house has been empty for 30 yrs but both the house and the farm were being fed off the same metre box which am sure the ESB would not allow if they were aware of it. The house will probably never be lived in again. However, when the ESB disconnect the meter and I request a new meter for the farm they will look on the farm as a new connection and according above that will be around €2k. Not sure what to do but it will have to be sorted out sooner or later.

Request a modification for the 440 and have a new metre box setup with a cable running to the existing farm setup. Make sure to have a duct running from the new meter box to the pole. That way they are just moving the feed/box and is not treated as a new connection.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but was wondering OP if you ever got sorted, and what you did, i think i may have a similar situation as you. Only difference is i definitely need a new connection from the ESB for a slatted shed, and wondering what the price would be. Am hoping as its only for a few sockets and lights it would not be as expensive as a new connection for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I got a supply to my farm yard about 11 years ago. Just lighting and a few 13 amp sockets. From memory it's a 3kva supply or around that. Was a good bit cheaper than the standard supply at the time. Does our job just fine. No issue when we need to use the inverter welder or grinder the odd time for maintenance etc. I think it was around €850 at the time. Just one pole was needed but there was a transformer close by. Like everything else I would imagine it has gone up alot since.

• Advertisement

Just to update this i contacted the ESB for a connection for a shed just for a light and a socket and have been told if there is a pole within 500 metres the fee is 3,250, and if the pole is further it is over 4,000. On top of this i 'm sure i would have to get an electrician to put in a metre box. How can anyone justify this price, like for FFS i'm sure it is probably put down some ducting from the nearest pole with a pull wire through it, pull in the cable and connect, i might have to have the ducting in myself if its like the house. I can understand the fee for a new house connection but in my opinion this is just extortion, like if its 2 ESB lads for a day where does the fee of over 3k go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

The best paid public servants in the country even managed a pay rise in the lowest point of the down turn when everyone was taking a cut.

I wounder has run in times things changed since some were exposed payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had an engineer out recently. I'm getting 3 phase in. He said that most of the applicants don't go ahead with connections when they get the price. Mine wasn't too bad as 3 phase line is beside where I want it

Advertisement