Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bb386 Evo frame BB issue

Options
  • 19-08-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭

Bought a frame bb386 Evo with BB shell 46mm and width 86.5.
    Ok I said this is a bb386 Evo frame ,grand.
    Issue I have is bottom bracket face sheered off and I was able to remove the BB.
    Inside the BB shell there are what look like glued in cups to reduce the ID to 39mm so the press fit BB can fit.

Non drive side looks like having a reduced ID of 39mm (could be part of BB) with drive side at nominal 46mm with a cup/BB stop about 15mm into shell,also 39mm.
    Stay with me.
    Finding it difficult to source a replacement same BB
    Question can I bang out the cups and pressfit a generic bb386 Evo BB (46mm ) into frame?

Any bottom bracket guru's out there???
    Thanks in advance
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have a BB386 evo on my bike. I'm not 100%sure I understand your problem but the BB is a press fit bottom bracket. There's a plastic cup that holds the bearing in the BB shell which you (usually) remove with the bearings when replacing the BB. Is it the external flange of that that plastic cup that's sheared off?
    Assuming that's what you meant, any pf30 bottom bracket will work with the BB386 evo. Then depending on if you are using a crankset with a 30mm spindle or 24mm (shimano) spindle you might need reducers.

Edit..
    Re read your post. Ya, just bang out the cups, there's new ones with the new BB.
    One of these makes the job easy enough

https://www.bike24.com/p2186652.html?q=Press%20fit%20removal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭seanin4711

the outer face of the bearing where you tighten ,loosen with wrench sheered off.
    lucky to get bb out.
    yes frame shell is 46mm and bottom bracket OD is 39mm.
    NDS 39mm has what looks like an adapter to allow the BB to press in that side.
    DS 46mm BB is 39 and tightens to the cup/hardstop which is circa 15mm into shell .
    the shell itself typically just reinforced carbon?
    should/would there be an alu shell?within the carbon shell?
    thanks
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

seanin4711 wrote: »
    the outer face of the bearing where you tighten ,loosen with wrench sheered off.
    lucky to get bb out.
    yes frame shell is 46mm and bottom bracket OD is 39mm.
    NDS 39mm has what looks like an adapter to allow the BB to press in that side.
    DS 46mm BB is 39 and tightens to the cup/hardstop which is circa 15mm into shell .
    the shell itself typically just reinforced carbon?
    should/would there be an alu shell?within the carbon shell?
    thanks
    J

BB386 bottom brackets don't generally require anything to loosen or tighten them. They're pressfit. Do you maybe have an image you can share so we can get a better idea of what the issue is?

I'm assuming if you are loosening/tightening with a wrench, a threaded sleeve has been installed but again having an image as to what's going on would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Is it possible that there was a pressfit-to-threaded BB adapter fitted and that's what has sheared?

NDS is pressfit
    DS is screw in
    https://www.tripeakbearing.com/product-detail.php?pId=74&tId=34&sId=42

drive side sheered off,struggled to remove it after taht(unscrew )

• Advertisement

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fb37hy6eVvhfRK6G9

BB is pressfit non drive and screw in drive side

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

That's not a standard BB386, it's a modified version with a threaded insert to try and minimize the chances of having some of the issues that affect press fit BBs. Also it's for Shimano hollowtech by the looks of it, in a standard one you'd use shims to fill the gap between the spindle and bearings.

I'd imagine it was fitted to address some problem that the previous owner of the frame was having, if I was replacing it I'd be inclined to go for something similar, I've had good experience with a similar one for my BB30 Felt from Wheel Manufacturing so I'll link to their site but others do a similar range.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb386evo.html

nilhg wrote: »
    That's not a standard BB386, it's a modified version with a threaded insert to try and minimize the chances of having some of the issues that affect press fit BBs. Also it's for Shimano hollowtech by the looks of it, in a standard one you'd use shims to fill the gap between the spindle and bearings.

I'd imagine it was fitted to address some problem that the previous owner of the frame was having, if I was replacing it I'd be inclined to go for something similar, I've had good experience with a similar one for my BB30 Felt from Wheel Manufacturing so I'll link to their site but others do a similar range.

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb386evo.html

€ 16,43 50%OFF | ZTTO BB386 CERAMIC 24 EVO Threaded Lock Press Fit Bottom Bracket for BB386 Frame to 24mm Crankset Quality Bottom Bracket Adapter
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSFHyq

Was going to go for this.
    Bang out cups that's in there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Looking at your photos again it looks like whoever fitter the last BB used some sort of adhesive or locking compound as well as screwing the bits together, no wonder you had a job getting it out. Be careful getting the stuck cup out, it would be easy to do real harm there in a carbon frame.

The BB you linked to could be fine, but it's a bit pot luck buying from those Chinese sites, personally I'd be going for something from a known source but that's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

nilhg wrote: »
    Looking at your photos again it looks like whoever fitter the last BB used some sort of adhesive or locking compound as well as screwing the bits together, no wonder you had a job getting it out. Be careful getting the stuck cup out, it would be easy to do real harm there in a carbon frame.

The BB you linked to could be fine, but it's a bit pot luck buying from those Chinese sites, personally I'd be going for something from a known source but that's up to you.

Nightmare bottom bracket very prone to creaking hence the temptation to use mounting compound or silicone. Can make it impossible to get out if needed. Blast of a hairdryer might soften things. Be very careful though not to damage frame

• Advertisement

benneca1 wrote: »
    Nightmare bottom bracket very prone to creaking hence the temptation to use mounting compound or silicone. Can make it impossible to get out if needed. Blast of a hairdryer might soften things. Be very careful though not to damage frame

Thanks for the assistance all

benneca1 wrote: »

No issue getting it out as would have done so a few times previously.
    I was removing it to get model number of BB to order replacement and the DS face fell off.
    Then it was difficult to remove as I had to turn BB with a flat screwdriver , eventually got it unscrewed.
    Tapped it out from drive side in direction of non drive as a result could have moved inner cup 3-4 mm inward.

Advertisement