Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Is it still possible to change the V2 Router into modem mode and use your own? since I switched to a Google Nest Router, my connection has been rock solid. On the Virgin hub I had problems nonstop.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Is it still possible to change the V2 Router into modem mode and use your own? since I switched to a Google Nest Router, my connection has been rock solid. On the Virgin hub I had problems nonstop.

Yes, and that's what I did to use my own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Router been acting up the last 24 hours and I am stuck on the UPC login page:

531191.jpg

Tried unplugging all cables and rebooted - even saw the virgin login for a while, but was unable to login.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Router been acting up the last 24 hours and I am stuck on the UPC login page:

531191.jpg

Tried unplugging all cables and rebooted - even saw the virgin login for a while, but was unable to login.

Thoughts?

Hit the 'Next' button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Back in march mine was out for a week.. couldn't get into settings. Hard reset it countless times over a few days.

Someone on line suggested the report a fault page on their site might automatically trigger a reset somewhere. So I did this and the hub finally reset the next day. Might have been coincidence.

After 6 days support finally got back to me and wouldn't check it out as it was working again.

• Advertisement

Dusted off the old WRT 1900AC - updated to latest OpenWRT and have put the hub in modem mode. Redirected DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - happy days.

degsie wrote: »
    Hit the 'Next' button.

Didn't help the modem was in UPC mode not Virdin Mode...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Dusted off the old WRT 1900AC - updated to latest OpenWRT and have put the hub in modem mode. Redirected DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 - happy days.

What DNS are they? I'm finding the VM DNS servers a bit sluggish at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

So, even after switching to Modem Mode and using a new TP-Link Archer AX20 the 5ghz drop/out persists.

Rang customer care to get rid of of this box and put me back on the 500MB package instead. The lad insisted on sending out a senior technician who knows this the new 1GB box inside-out to take a look. He’s coming on Wednesday.

La Haine wrote: »
    So, even after switching to Modem Mode and using a new TP-Link Archer AX20 the 5ghz drop/out persists.

Rang customer care to get rid of of this box and put me back on the 500MB package instead. The lad insisted on sending out a senior technician who knows this the new 1GB box inside-out to take a look. He’s coming on Wednesday.

The 5ghz drop outs from a third party router can't be VMs fault.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What DNS are they? I'm finding the VM DNS servers a bit sluggish at times.

They are Cloudflares ulta fast DNS servers: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info

They are Cloudflares ulta fast DNS servers: https://1.1.1.1/dns/ for more info

I put them in already, noticeable difference. Thanks I'll read up on them now!! Nothing like doing it the Irish way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

The 5ghz drop outs from a third party router can't be VMs fault.

The reason why I got the TP was because VM’s box was dropping the 5ghz signal constantly. So there’s something going on, whether it’s VM’s software or hardware.

I find the dropout less with my own wifi router. But they still happen even wired to the router direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i had simillar issue not with VM, but went into device manager and set only 5ghz on network card, so that way if ssid isnt split or single it would only connect to 5ghz. but if like above user says its still happening then dunno what could be the issue, as clearly temporary signal loss occurs.

La Haine wrote: »
    The reason why I got the TP was because VM’s box was dropping the 5ghz signal constantly. So there’s something going on, whether it’s VM’s software or hardware.

I'd say your 5ghz network is clashing with another one. Download vistumbler and see what's being transmitted around you. I check mine regularly, the Asus is doing a great job of avoiding the other networks. Oh, another thing, the router could be auto choosing a channel that your device can't see.

How long after order did you guys receive the new router? I placed the order 2 weeks ago and still dont have it. I have a Red technician visit tomorrow (that I really don't want or need due to COVID but they insist on it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

How long after order did you guys receive the new router? I placed the order 2 weeks ago and still dont have it. I have a Red technician visit tomorrow (that I really don't want or need due to COVID but they insist on it)

I got mine the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tell them to buzz off due to covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

It took me 5-6wks with a ComReg complaint and a decent staff member to eventually get mine, they kept processing my order wrong and it would never trigger an instrument order for mine. I would chase up if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

I got the 1GB modem, installed and looks to be provisioned OK.
    However I'm still only getting the 500Mb - direct cable, rebooted etc.
    Any ideas please ?

Got mine yesterday, popped it into modem mode, measured on my Google Nest router, 917 down, Delighted.

Got mine yesterday, popped it into modem mode, measured on my Google Nest router, 917 down, Delighted.

Same here but I am still at the 'old' speed.:confused:

65535 wrote: »
    Same here but I am still at the 'old' speed.:confused:

Id speak to virign, if its around 500 they probably forgot to flip some sort of switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I got the 1GB modem, installed and looks to be provisioned OK.
    However I'm still only getting the 500Mb - direct cable, rebooted etc.
    Any ideas please ?

How long has it been installed?
    Have you reset it with the pin on the back?

No, I did not factory default it - should I ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Took a few hours for my profile to switch over from 500 to 1g. You can always whats app them to check everything is correct

LoGiE wrote: »
    Took a few hours for my profile to switch over from 500 to 1g. You can always whats app them to check everything is correct

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I did a factory default and tried directly into the modem, still the same.
    A VM Tech is calling in the morning so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

A friend of mine who lives in the country has difficulty getting any broadband and I'm here moaning about the difference between 500 and 1GB - ah well - what can you do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Ya same here. Insisted on guy coming to install the 1GB which I hope it doesn’t mean routing more cables than they have already when installed my 360 plan 2 years ago.

I had assumed they send me a new box and flick switch on their side but a tech guy has to call . Either way the guy is due tomorrow after 12 so fingers crossed straight forward

• Advertisement

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Ya same here. Insisted on guy coming to install the 1GB which I hope it doesn’t mean routing more cables than they have already when installed my 360 plan 2 years ago.

I had assumed they send me a new box and flick switch on their side but a tech guy has to call . Either way the guy is due tomorrow after 12 so fingers crossed straight forward

For my install they swapped out the coax splitter as well and that was it.

So the tech called and plugged in a laptop and straight away got 900 odd.
    I couldn't explain it, tried my own laptop - still stuck at 500.
    Having read previous posts here I suspect it was a VPN install - forticlient
    So I uninstalled the Virtual Network Card for the 'forticlient' application and I'm getting 900 odd now.
    Even though I very rarely used the forticlient app it restricted the bandwidth so lesson learned.

So the tech called and plugged in a laptop and straight away got 900 odd.
    I couldn't explain it, tried my own laptop - still stuck at 500.
    Having read previous posts here I suspect it was a VPN install - forticlient
    So I uninstalled the Virtual Network Card for the 'forticlient' application and I'm getting 900 odd now.
    Even though I very rarely used the forticlient app it restricted the bandwidth so lesson learned.

That's interesting. Though I find I get the same speeds on a device with forticlient as one without it.

beauf wrote: »
    That's interesting. Though I find I get the same speeds on a device with forticlient as one without it.

Would that be above 500 ?

Would that be above 500 ?

No I'm on a lower package. But I have a number of desktops and laptops but the VPN is only on a couple of machines and using the VPN made no difference to me.

Maybe its only relevant to higher speeds 500 and above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No I'm on a lower package. But I have a number of desktops and laptops but the VPN is only on a couple of machines and using the VPN made no difference to me.

Maybe its only relevant to higher speeds 500 and above?

You're usually CPU limiting all network traffic to what one thread can handle. Your max bandwidth will scale with single core performance.

• Advertisement

Do you mean the single core on the VM Hub 3?

I've just run a long cable from the router to one laptop with VPN software on it. There are 3 other people online playing games in the house. They are all powerline adapters. They get about 80mbps due to the limits of the Powerlines. On this laptop (with the VPN) the speed test gives me 245mbps. I'm on the Limitless 240Mb.

You're much lower so are less likely to be limited. The choke point is the clients CPU performance.

I'm a bit slow on the uptake here. What has the clients single core performance got to do with ethernet speeds.

What sort of CPU would bottleneck Gigabit Ethernet speeds? If thats what your saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What sort of CPU would bottleneck Gigabit Ethernet speeds? If thats what your saying.

Something from the last century ,I guess .
    I have Desktop with 2007 CPU , no problem hitting 920 Mbps speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

2019 Mac Air can't even max out 500 Mbps using a browser speed test over wired ethernet.

• Advertisement

CPU in combination with sh1tty software thats doing some kind of packet inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

What upload speeds do you guys actually measure on this Virgin Gigabit connection?

I'm on 500Mbit currently and upload maxes out at 48Mbit wired & wireless. I'm wondering if it'd double or what'd be situation on Gigabit?

Thank you.

xboxdad wrote: »
    What upload speeds do you guys actually measure on this Virgin Gigabit connection?

I'm on 500Mbit currently and upload maxes out at 48Mbit wired & wireless. I'm wondering if it'd double or what'd be situation on Gigabit?

Thank you.

50 upload on the 1Gig too, many are disappointed with it.

Thank you. Yes, it sounds poor. I was hoping it's going to be more than double :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

So is this worth going for? Currently on hold as out of contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

OU812 wrote: »

Had a Virgin line engineer out last week, through just run of the mill conversation he said stay away from it entirely.

Pressure to product launch it as seemingly losing a lot of customers to SIRO, but they've launched well ahead of the infrastructure upgrades required to manage it, not to mention the amount of people WFH.

Obvious from this thread most people not happy, two people in my work department (one our Global network manager) got it and said its dreadful and a line technician himself saying stay clear.

I'm not even contemplating it for another year or so, and by then I'm hoping SIRO is here

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had a Virgin line engineer out last week, through just run of the mill conversation he said stay away from it entirely.

Pressure to product launch it as seemingly losing a lot of customers to SIRO, but they've launched well ahead of the infrastructure upgrades required to manage it, not to mention the amount of people WFH.

Obvious from this thread most people not happy, two people in my work department (one our Global network manager) got it and said its dreadful and a line technician himself saying stay clear.

I'm not even contemplating it for another year or so, and by then I'm hoping SIRO is here

Do you mean that their 1Gbit is worse than their 500Mbit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

So maxes out at around 6.5 megabytes when transferring a file?

Not great really.

OU812 wrote: »

IMO no not worth it - stay on 500 and out of contract (and watch siro rollout).

I am on 1G + 360 box for 1 year contract but can see the fibre getting rolled out in my neighbourhood...

Also the only way I got a stable connection was via "modem mode" and my own router... (and I am 80% wired, but suspect I have an "extreme" household usage) .

IMO no not worth it - stay on 500 and out of contract (and watch siro rollout).

I am on 1G + 360 box for 1 year contract but can see the fibre getting rolled out in my neighbourhood...

Also the only way I got a stable connection was via "modem mode" and my own router... (and I am 80% wired, but suspect I have an "extreme" household usage) .

I'm on 500Mbit and Virgin never worked for me well without modem mode + decent router. Is it going to get worse with 1Gbit Virgin you reckon?

• Advertisement
Advertisement