Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

deravarra wrote: »
    After how long?

And that speed is wired connection?

Ordered last thursday, re-ordered on Monday, modem on Tuesday and a day of dicking around by VM to provision it, so that long!
    That's wired. I use the Deco mesh for my wifi and it's not as fast as that. I tried the wifi in the modem, but even thought my house is only a 3 bed, the layout and wall thickness doesn't work in it favour, but even in the same room as the modem, I was getting maybe 600 or 700 off the wifi on the new box.

How are you getting the 100mb up? I've been told it's only 50mb and that's all I'm getting

fast.com can be a bit generous as well

524404.PNG

Has anyone got it in writing from VM that the up should be 100mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

How are you getting the 100mb up? I've been told it's only 50mb and that's all I'm getting

Looks like he is with eir not Virgin Media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

New 1GB modem installed yesterday, but have only been able to get 500mbps from it over Cat6 wire and Wifi, just checked with VM on Whatsapp, and they say it hasnt been provisioned at 1GB yet and to give it 48hours.

Mind me asking if any of you managed to expedite activation?

I tried... got nowhere with it
    denisor wrote: »
    New 1GB modem installed yesterday, but have only been able to get 500mbps from it over Cat6 wire and Wifi, just checked with VM on Whatsapp, and they say it hasnt been provisioned at 1GB yet and to give it 48hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

got the modem yesterday. dead as a dodo. No service from it, went back to the old modem and it's now getting 794 mbps and 53 upload. as for their support/tech support non existent. just onto VM seemingly they sent the box out unprovisioned, so use the old box till its sorted.. dreadful customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Sorry yes on Eir was just showing I'm not sure I rate fast.com for accuracy. I've never got below 1 gig on it on days I'm only in early 900s on speedtest.net

Confusing of me to put it on this thread without writing it was with a different isp though

I have 500mb it’s more than enough for downloading honestly but I wouldn’t say no to having it

I tried... got nowhere with it

Ok! noted, will wait and see, Tech support on WHatsapp just advised me when its provisioned, the upload speed will be 100mbps!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

PGL wrote: »
    I currently have the 500MB broadband with the white Hub 3.0 modem, but in the past month or so have found the wifi signal to be very unreliable in some parts of the house, where for example Zoom calls have been freezing and cutting out altogether. Nothing has changed in my house in terms of connections, usage etc. VM could not provide any explanation when I called them up. Have others had similar recent problems with VM wifi? FYI: I am based in West Dublin.

I am also just wondering is there a cost for existing customers to upgrade to the new 1GB broadband and would it result in a significant improvement in the wifi signal?

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

anyone?

I'd suggest you would be better spending your money on a wifi mesh system. The vm router has a bad rep for wifi. I've Google WiFi and it's great. Three hubs around the house and coverage everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

I'd suggest you would be better spending your money on a wifi mesh system. The vm router has a bad rep for wifi. I've Google WiFi and it's great. Three hubs around the house and coverage everywhere

thanks for the tip - looks a bit on the pricey side, but might need to bite the bullet. Does anyone know if the new VM router for the 1GB broadband will be better than the hub 3.0 router for sending the wifi signal around the home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

The difference is minimal, between the new gig box vs the hub3.0 when it comes to the WiFi signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

Placed the order last Thursday. Got everything today.
    After Arris did the upgrade and all I reconfigure it on modem mode. For some reasons I had to do that 2 times. First time, after a couple of reloads it turned back to router mode.
    Speed is the same 500+50 as before. But at least is working with no big downtime. I do expect in few hours/tomorrow to see the speed increasing.
    Sales people told me over chat that upload it will be 100mbps. But what I'm reading here doesn't look too promising. Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 arden

drabisan wrote: »
    Placed the order last Thursday. Got everything today.
    After Arris did the upgrade and all I reconfigure it on modem mode. For some reasons I had to do that 2 times. First time, after a couple of reloads it turned back to router mode.
    Speed is the same 500+50 as before. But at least is working with no big downtime. I do expect in few hours/tomorrow to see the speed increasing.
    Sales people told me over chat that upload it will be 100mbps. But what I'm reading here doesn't look too promising. Let's see.

Yup, the tech support guys and sales guys seem to be having issues communicating with whoever made the decision to set it to 50, casue they both said 100 to me initially too. The website says 50 and I was redirected to there after a long chat on the phone about it, very disappointing! was really hoping for the 100, especially with working from home full time now, its handy for moving large files.

arden wrote: »
    Yup, the tech support guys and sales guys seem to be having issues communicating with whoever made the decision to set it to 50, casue they both said 100 to me initially too. The website says 50 and I was redirected to there after a long chat on the phone about it, very disappointing! was really hoping for the 100, especially with working from home full time now, its handy for moving large files.

Last Thursday I'm fairly sure the site was calling 100. Later that day it became 50.
    I'm also not that interested on download, some additional upload would be great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Has your modem been provisioned at 1GB yet? I seem to be in the same boat. I've installed the new router (in modem mode) and the TV box and still on the 500/50 package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Make sure it's a WiFi 6 mesh system. WiFi 5 not likely to give you anywhere near your paid for speeds. WiFi 6 with a WiFi 6 card and/or devices can give you speeds of ~ 850 Mbps.

Netgear orbi WiFi 6 Rbk 852 is capable of doing as much, but are pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

I had 360 Media Box and 2 mutliroom boxes installed this morning. All boxes are much smaller than the outgoing boxes and remotes work without line of sight on all, so I am going to say they are not infrared. In my house all TV boxes are only connect to wall coax box and are connected to each other via wifi. (1GB wifi box is in attic) TV boxes are very fast to power up, and remotes now power up TV too at the same time. Menu, UI and picture quality works fast and as you would expect it to. (Horizon box was imo not fit for purpose in terms of lag).

Thanks Denisor , Krusty,

Did you manage to get any deal on the package of 3 boxes + 1 GB wifi ?
    Just see that thet are now charging €15 permonth for new multiroom boxes, whereas my current multi-room boxes were only €11 per monrh per box ..

Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What's the WhatsApp number for VM please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

CoBo55 wrote: »

https://wa.me/353896000016

Make sure it's a WiFi 6 mesh system. WiFi 5 not likely to give you anywhere near your paid for speeds. WiFi 6 with a WiFi 6 card and/or devices can give you speeds of ~ 850 Mbps.

Netgear orbi WiFi 6 Rbk 852 is capable of doing as much, but are pricey

I have ordered this Netgear Orbi RBK853 AX6000 WiFi 6 3 piece system, do you happen to have any opinion on how you would install this in a 3 storey property? I assume 1 hub per floor?
    Do you know if each hub should have a dedicated ethernet wire to it from the Virgin modem or can these things work as well as extenders?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I am replacing an aged Airport Extreme and Express network and they worked well as wireless extenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭FaganJr

CoBo55 wrote: »

+353 89 600 0016

LoGiE wrote: »
    Has your modem been provisioned at 1GB yet? I seem to be in the same boat. I've installed the new router (in modem mode) and the TV box and still on the 500/50 package.

Not yet! Was asked today to give it another 24/48 hours. Will let you know when it happens.

• Advertisement

I have ordered this Netgear Orbi RBK853 AX6000 WiFi 6 3 piece system, do you happen to have any opinion on how you would install this in a 3 storey property? I assume 1 hub per floor?
    Do you know if each hub should have a dedicated ethernet wire to it from the Virgin modem or can these things work as well as extenders?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I am replacing an aged Airport Extreme and Express network and they worked well as wireless extenders.

What is the square footage?

I would do as you say, but you could always move around later. Arranging a mesh system placement is pretty much trial and error.

When you so get your mesh system set up, do let us know how you get on with it, and also how fast it was on WiFi 6 devices

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Not yet! Was asked today to give it another 24/48 hours. Will let you know when it happens.

Looks like something has changed. Here's the result from my Netgear Orbi's speed test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I spoke to tech support yesterday as mine was provision yet. So went back to old modem.

That died today, and I even got a text message to say, bla bla bla, bring back your net but switching it off and back on. They actually meant switch modems.

new mode was online within 5 minutes, but it has restarted a few times.

Absolutely wont be keeping this service. Happy to have the new modem over the last puma 6 crap. If the upload was 100Mb I would have kept it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thor wrote: »
    I spoke to tech support yesterday as mine was provision yet. So went back to old modem.

That died today, and I even got a text message to say, bla bla bla, bring back your net but switching it off and back on. They actually meant switch modems.

new mode was online within 5 minutes, but it has restarted a few times.

Absolutely wont be keeping this service. Happy to have the new modem over the last puma 6 crap. If the upload was 100Mb I would have kept it.

Given the amount of issues, sounds like it went something like this;
    • Order stock > Release press release > SKIP internal staff training > Sell to consumers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Hi everyone. It's been like 3 days of hell trying to get this fixed. Here is a summary of what happened:

Saturday: Upgraded to 500Mb full house package from old 360Mb package and was sent a new modem

Tuesday:
    - New modem arrived, connected it, didn't work.
    - First call: was told it was still activating and they'd call back before 5PM.
    - Tried plugging in old modem but it had been deactivated.
    - They did not call back before 5PM. Side note: Literally never believe them when they say they'll call you back, I have been told this multiple times and I have NEVER received a call back, despite giving them my correct mobile number each time.

Wednesday:
    - First call of the day: Sent back and forth between sales and tech support with each blaming the other for why my order was "pending", ..., technician visit booked for Thursday 12PM-4PM, call back promised later today
    - No call back by 3PM so second call started: Now I was told by the guy that my modem was not able to be seen from their side (I assume through SNMP/whatever management protocol they use) and that I should just wait for the technician the next day, that it was probably a signal issue. This of course made zero sense since things were working fine with the old modem, but anyway.

Thursday:
    - Technician arrived at 3:30PMish, nice guy, put on a mask, gloves and plastic covers on his shoes. He plugged in the signal analyzer and confirmed that the signal was fine.
    - He rang their internal line and even he had to wait 5 minutes, he asks the lady on the other end to pull up the customer account and verify why he can't connect with the modem.
    - She figures out after a few minutes that due to the upgrade the package needs to be "reloaded", she does this and says to him that things should start working in 10 minutes. This verifies my suspicion that the previous people I had gotten through to at tech support simply didn't understand the problem/have the access to fix it.
    - Tech heads outside and says he'll swap out the wiring while he's here since it's so old.
    - Internet comes up and I figure I'll set things up properly once he's gone, and he heads off.
    - Plug myself into the modem and *gasp* NO MODEM MODE
    - Getting into the info area of the modem I determine they have enabled DS-Lite/IPv6 when they "reloaded the package"
    - I ring tech support again and speak to a nice lady and tell her "I need an IPv4 address for my VPN", I recommend using this wording and not talking about DSLite/online gaming/etc. since you'll just end up confusing most of the first line techs.
    - She puts in the change request and it goes through after a few minutes and she instructs me to reset the modem using the reset pin on the back.
    - I reset it but for some reason the settings page is now a UPC branded page and my default settings password won't work (wtf?). She is equally confused by this and I offer to reset it again for luck.
    - On second reset I get Virgin branded settings, login, enable modem mode, it restarts one last time and I see an IPv4 address get pulled directly by my Asus RT-AC68U router.

So yeah, if I had a choice I would be with Airwire/etc. on SIRO/OpenEir but sadly I do not have that luxury so I guess I just pray this piece of **** modem keeps working for now. I wish we could get legislation here forcing ISPs to allow you to use your own equipment (Germany have this for example).

Finally I will say that everyone I spoke to with Virgin was very polite and clearly doing their best to be helpful, they clearly have a confusing system they have to work with and probably have not received adequate training. The poor tech at my house also had to take a call during the visit from another tech, and he had to explain to that tech how to change another customer's LG TV to the correct HDMI port. He looked pretty exasperated by the whole thing. I felt his pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralInter

Tempora wrote: »
    Hi everyone. It's been like 3 days of hell trying to get this fixed. Here is a summary of what happened:

Saturday: Upgraded to 500Mb full house package from old 360Mb package and was sent a new modem

Thanks Tempora, I am at the start of the process. My order is pending since yesterday so I look forward to all the tribulations you went through :D

Thanks Tempora, I am at the start of the process. My order is pending since yesterday so I look forward to all the tribulations you went through :D
    Lots of people in this thread seem to have had zero issues so I get the feeling I ordered before they fixed the "reloading package" bug. Hopefully it will be a much smoother journey for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralInter

anyone?

This happened me with Virgin before. After calling a few times and them telling me there was no issue they could see, I convinced them to send me a replacement hub which solved the issue. Sometimes they just get old or worn down I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC page may stem from its origin. Some of LG group use Virgin some Cello some UPC.

Follow up, after seeing 500mbps on speed tests, I spoke to support earlier this evening and they told me the new 1Gbps speed was provisioned overnight and all I had to do was reboot the modem.

I did that and am now getting about 600mbps (550 - 650) over cat5 wire direct from modem. Not seeing 1Gbps on any speedtest just yet.

Will reboot again later and see how things are and keep you posted.

Anyone else having intermittent connection loss on the 1 gig service? it even effects local lan. wifi goes down too, usually only lasts about 30 seconds or so. Have tried rebooting the router and did a reset, same issue :(

And just to add, I have not gotten any test results over 250Mbps download (but I am getting the 50Mbps upload).

Probably going to phone support again about that tomorrow since only getting 50% of the speed I'm paying for leaves a bad taste, even if I would rarely use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone else having intermittent connection loss on the 1 gig service? it even effects local lan. wifi goes down too, usually only lasts about 30 seconds or so. Have tried rebooting the router and did a reset, same issue :(
    I did have one 5 minute outage in the last 48 hours. Better than it was, but still not as good as I'd like it to be. Otherwise it has been consistent.

Upgrade to 1G took place over night. So less than a day since I plugged in the new modem.
    And yeah, it's a 50mbps upload and that's a huge disappointment for me.
    I will not cancel simply because the new TV box is so much better than that Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

I am still waiting on my my order to be processed over a week later. Apparently it was only processed Friday but I am still waiting on the message from Nightline about my equipment etc.

Bit of a farce now considering some people have had it all sorted within a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

In the same boat and it's been impossible to get through to anyone on whatsapp or the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭ITV2

I got the modem on Wednesday, I plugged in no service seemingly the box wasn't provisioned. Finally got onto to VM in Limerick this morning and the box had failed to provision itself. So I cancelled the service and went back onto 500mb and got it half price for 6 months for the inconvenience. It seems they had issues with some boxes according to VM.

Very odd. When I disable the Firewall, but leave Port scan detection & IP flood detection checked, although grayed out, along with upnp disabled I get no internet at all, even on wireless, although the ping/trace routes tests run fine and work from the router.

Re-enabling the firewall I get internet back, having a 8 port gigabit netgear switch connected with 1 computer (win 10-dhcp) and a NAS (synology-static) attached only, makes the wifi drop randomly too if upnp is not enabled.

Really not liking this new router....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Engineer called out to mine yesterday to complete upgrade from 500-1gb

Cant say I've noticed any improvement in Wi-Fi range with the new hub so will be installing a mesh system in the next few days hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Couple of hours on the phone, twitter and whatsapp due to conflicting information between sales and customer care (Yes, there's an order. No, there isn't).

The original order was incorrectly loaded and cancelled without communication.

Re-ordered on the web and got the order details and order confirmation through straight away.

They never used to be this bad.

Here we go again.:mad:

TobinIT wrote: »
    Engineer called out to mine yesterday to complete upgrade from 500-1gb

Cant say I've noticed any improvement in Wi-Fi range with the new hub so will be installing a mesh system in the next few days hopefully

Which one you going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Which one you going for?

Have the TP-Link Deco M5 on Order from Harvey Norman so will hopefully pick that up over the weekend

TobinIT wrote: »
    Have the TP-Link Deco M5 on Order from Harvey Norman so will hopefully pick that up over the weekend

I have one. You wont see any more than 360 or such over Wifi. The satellites give even less. Connected to a satellite in my home office, I am getting about 170 wifi, even though deco m5 is receiving the full 500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

I have one. You wont see any more than 360 or such over Wifi. The satellites give even less. Connected to a satellite in my home office, I am getting about 170 wifi, even though deco m5 is receiving the full 500

Surprised how many people don't understand the intricacies of wireless systems. Not only do you need to understand the effect of local interference and the basic construction of your house, you also have to take into account the position of transmitters/receivers and the ability of devices to harness the wireless signal.

Seems like most folk expect 100% efficiency, that is a pipe-dream.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Surprised how many people don't understand the intricacies of wireless systems. Not only do you need to understand the effect of local interference and the basic construction of your house, you also have to take into account the position of transmitters/receivers and the ability of devices to harness the wireless signal.

Seems like most folk expect 100% efficiency, that is a pipe-dream.

I understand very much. And I know some mesh systems offer greater WiFi speeds than others.
    Did you know that?

Advertisement