Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Update: This modem is a piece of ****. I should have stuck with my EPC3925, even if it was crashing every day or two.

I'm now getting drop outs every few hours, usually for around 60 seconds. Also the management interface at 192.168.100.1 is highly unreliable, often refusing to load at all. Don't know if this is Puma related or just because it's a **** product in general. Very disappointed. SIRO can't come fast enough. It's a serious joke when I have to switch to tethered 4G whenever I need a guaranteed reliable connection for an important call.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Oh no, that doesn't sound good, Yours is already in Modem Mode is it?

Could you use a different modem or do you have to use the one supplied by VM?

TobinIT wrote: »
    Oh no, that doesn't sound good, Yours is already in Modem Mode is it?

Could you use a different modem or do you have to use the one supplied by VM?

It is indeed in modem mode yes. VM refuses to allow non-VM provided equipment on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

I would have thought in modem mode the VM Hub is doing the bare minimum of work so it should be reliable,

What router do you have connected to the VM Hub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Tempora wrote: »
    Update: This modem is a piece of ****. I should have stuck with my EPC3925, even if it was crashing every day or two.

I'm now getting drop outs every few hours, usually for around 60 seconds. Also the management interface at 192.168.100.1 is highly unreliable, often refusing to load at all. Don't know if this is Puma related or just because it's a **** product in general. Very disappointed. SIRO can't come fast enough. It's a serious joke when I have to switch to tethered 4G whenever I need a guaranteed reliable connection for an important call.

I had issues like this with the previous hub 3 or whatever their calling it.

Had techs out so many times, even replaced the cable coming into the house..because it was an intermittent problem, they never saw issue, replaced the modem like 3 times.

In the end.

I replaced the white coaxial cable and boom no more drop outs.

Sounds a similar problem, every few hours the modem would loose signal and basically restart. It was so annoying..

• Advertisement

TobinIT wrote: »
    I would have thought in modem mode the VM Hub is doing the bare minimum of work so it should be reliable,

What router do you have connected to the VM Hub?

Due to the fact that VM's network is cable (DOCSIS) the modem actually has to do quite a bit of work. There are a number of well documented issues with the Puma chipsets these modems use, feel free to visit https://badmodems.com for further info on that particular set of problems. I was not aware they were THIS bad.

I have an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 connected to a Gigabit switch, and 3x Asus RT-AC68U/66U serving as WAPs in mesh mode. The local network is flawless.

Thor wrote: »
    I had issues like this with the previous hub 3 or whatever their calling it.

Had techs out so many times, even replaced the cable coming into the house..because it was an intermittent problem, they never saw issue, replaced the modem like 3 times.

In the end.

I replaced the white coaxial cable and boom no more drop outs.

Sounds a similar problem, every few hours the modem would loose signal and basically restart. It was so annoying..

I'll have a go at replacing the cable. Worked perfectly up until now with the Cisco EPC3925 modem I had though, so can't see it making a difference.

I'll have a go at replacing the cable. Worked perfectly up until now with the Cisco EPC3925 modem I had though, so can't see it making a difference.

How long as the new one been restarting..

Mine restarted a few times throughout the day It got provisioned.

Thor wrote: »
    How long as the new one been restarting..

Mine restarted a few times throughout the day It got provisioned.

So it's doing the random restart every now and then since yesterday. Haven't started doing actually logging of how often it occurs, but I will automate that.

The bigger issue is the random packet loss that seems to be occurring. I've been disconnected from calls twice today, and just now I was trying to play some games and kept getting thrown off every 20 minutes or so. Infuriating. Hopefully it's the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

deravarra wrote: »
    I understand very much. And I know some mesh systems offer greater WiFi speeds than others.
    Did you know that?

Can you offer any evidence? Not idealised lab setups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

degsie wrote: »
    Can you offer any evidence? Not idealised lab setups.

Dunno if you're for real or just acting.

Plenty of yt videos showing as much. Folks in their own homes.

I used an Asus ROG WiFi 6 router last year and got over 500 Mbps on WiFi from my 500 Mbps connection. Thats a reality. It can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Probably a wrong thread to ask, but why do you need a 1Gbps speed?

Is it "just cause"? I used to be like that, always needingwanting the fastest connection, but after about 100Mbps I stopped caring.

Nowadays 50 download 20 upload with low ping that is rock solid is enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm not sure if SIRO/OpenEir are deliberately avoiding areas with high VM subscribers because of competition or what, I'm in Blackrock/Stillorgan area and still no sign of SIRO/OpenEir any time soon. In the meantime I guess VM will continue to extort us for their crap technology.

I got a letter from eir the weeks ago saying that 1gb fiber is now available to my home. So they are targeting competition with a heavy VM base.

Funny that none of the other networks can tell me online if I can get 1gbs as I haven't had a phone line in years.

I believe I have found my issue. I think the power source my modem was plugged into is faulty (extension cord). Looks like Virgin may not be to blame. I've ran a new extension cord from a different socket to the modem and will let it run for 24 hours and see if any issues come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

end of contract with these jokers cant come quick enough, signal dopping out all the time multiple tech call out over the last few years, had enough of it at this stage, trying to contact them at this time is getting like trying to win the lotto. customer service has got worse since this pandemic has started, would have taught they would have got to grips with there service after a few weeks like other business have but it is getting worse, its like sticking there two fingers up at their customers and using the pandemic as an excuse, bye bye vm once contract comes to an end, already moved mobile phone from you so next is broadband and tv. what a complete joke of a company, would no recommend anyone upgrade there BB speeds as they can not provide the lower speeds so what hope have they of providing these higher speeds.

I believe I have found my issue. I think the power source my modem was plugged into is faulty (extension cord). Looks like Virgin may not be to blame. I've ran a new extension cord from a different socket to the modem and will let it run for 24 hours and see if any issues come up.

Interesting..

My new modem is now restarting every few hours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Thought I'd share my experience so far. Test's taken below were oneshots, I didn't repeat.

Ground Floor Setup
    VM Hub in Modem Mode
    Netgear Orbi Router connected by 3m CAT 6 Cable

Speedtests (Speedtest.net on Router / Fast.com)
    Speed Test Reported on Router 868Mbps /49Mbps
    Wifi Speeds to Samsung S20 Plus 627Mbps / 48Mbps
    Wifi Speed to Laptop Macbook Pro 520Mbps / 49Mbps
    Wired Speed to Laptop Macbook Pro 910Mbps/43Mbps

First Floor Setup
    Netgear Orbi Satellite (Dedicated Wifi Backhaul to Router)

Speedtests (Fast.com)
    Wifi Speeds to Samsung S20 Plus 500Mbps / 48Mbps
    Wifi Speed to Laptop Macbook Pro 480Mbps / 49Mbps
    Wired Speed to Laptop Macbook Pro 570Mbps / 49Mbps

Converted Attic Setup
    Netgear Orbi Satelite (Hardwired Ethernet over Coax to Router)

Speedtests (Fast.com)
    Wifi Speeds to Samsung S20 Plus 606Mbps / 49Mbps
    Wired Speed to Laptop Macbook Pro 790Mbps / 49Mbps

Installation
    I carried out the installation myself and it took about an hour. It was a little frustrating as the new Hub and the TV360 box required several reboots to download and install numerous updates before they were working correctly. (The documentation suggests plugging in everything and walking away for 30 minutes for a cup of tea). I was impatient so tried before it was ready and it gave me issues like telling me the admin password was wrong or GUI would not load :D

I connected the new TV box to the same HDMI port as the old Horizon box. This resulted in my Smart TV rebooting repeatidly until I switched the box to another HDMI port (and reset the first)

I have had no reboots since and the connection has been stable (I run multiple Nest Cameras that alert me if there are any connectivity issue.

Ordering Process
    I was unable to reach Customer care having been on hold for 60 Minutes twice. (The call hung up from VM end)

I was able to confirm my order via Whatsapp with someone, receiving a response to my message after 25 minites.

Other musings
    Virgin Media need to reconsider the current 50Mbps upload speed. The download is nice but the enthusiasts that this is aimed at will not be happy. I already know it's not going to be sufficient for me medium/long term as I add more HD/4k Cameras and upload larger files to my cloud storage.

TV360 box is much improved and on par with whats offered by Sky. I haven't used Vodafone's TV so can't compare to that.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Thought I'd share my experience so far. Test's taken below were oneshots, I didn't repeat.

Ground Floor Setup
    VM Hub in Modem Mode

First Floor Setup

Speedtests (Fast.com)

Converted Attic Setup

Speedtests (Fast.com)

Installation
    I carried out the installation myself and it took about an hour. It was a little frustrating as the new Hub and the TV360 box required several reboots to download and install numerous updates before they were working correctly. (The documentation suggests plugging in everything and walking away for 30 minutes for a cup of tea). I was impatient so tried before it was ready and it gave me issues like telling me the admin password was wrong or GUI would not load :D

I connected the new TV box to the same HDMI port as the old Horizon box. This resulted in my Smart TV rebooting repeatidly until I switched the box to another HDMI port (and reset the first)

I have had no reboots since and the connection has been stable (I run multiple Nest Cameras that alert me if there are any connectivity issue.

Ordering Process
    I was unable to reach Customer care having been on hold for 60 Minutes twice. (The call hung up from VM end)

I was able to confirm my order via Whatsapp with someone, receiving a response to my message after 25 minites.

Other musings
    Virgin Media need to reconsider the current 50Mbps upload speed. The download is nice but the enthusiasts that this is aimed at will not be happy. I already know it's not going to be sufficient for me medium/long term as I add more HD/4k Cameras and upload larger files to my cloud storage.

TV360 box is much improved and on par with whats offered by Sky. I haven't used Vodafone's TV so can't compare to that.

Which orbi do you have? And how long have you had it?

I bought the Orbi RBK53. (Router and 2 Satellites)

This setup as been absolutely rock solid for almost two years and easily maxed out the VM 500Mbps connection anywhere in the house over wifi.

I had tired 4 Google Wifi pucks and a Linksys WRT3200ACM + Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 extender before that. The Google Wifi maxed out about about 350Mbps and the Linksys router had stability issues.

I bought the Orbi RBK53. (Router and 2 Satellites)

This setup as been absolutely rock solid for almost two years and easily maxed out the VM 500Mbps connection anywhere in the house over wifi.

I had tired 4 Google Wifi pucks and a Linksys WRT3200ACM + Netgear Nighthawk EX8000 extender before that. The Google Wifi maxed out about about 350Mbps and the Linksys router had stability issues.

Would you consider the RBK853 or would that be too expensive?
    But then again do you actually need it considering it's doing quite well now...
    Tbh, I am surprised you're getting those speeds to the s20 plus, considering your orbi is Ac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I own RBK53 for 1 year, solid kit.
    Easily goes up to 600 mbps Wi Fi with my old Snapdragon 845 phone ( Mi 8)
    iPad Pro 2018 not doing that well , still capable of speeds 500+
    I would consider buying Orbi RBK852 for the sake of Wi-Fi 6 though.

No plans to upgrade yet as the only device I own with Wifi 6 is the s20 Plus. When the time comes I'll be sticking with the Netgear Orbi though. I'm hoping the next revision might also update the LAN ports from 1g to 2.5/5/10 gig. The switch I use has Multi gig ports so the Orbi would be a bottleneck.

Unfortunately the issue is back again. After a number of hours the modem's settings page at 192.168.100.1 stops loading, and packet loss tests find latency spikes and totally dropped/very late packets. The solution for now will be regular reboots, starting with once in the morning at 8AM. I'm at my wits end here. SIRO please save me.

After reading your post I tried to reach the modem's settings page at 192.168.100.1 and it's not resolving so this is likely a bug. My connection is still up and working though.

Which site are you seeing packet loss too? I've checked my own connection and I'm not seeing any packet loss or high latency to Google, bbc.co.uk or boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

After reading your post I tried to reach the modem's settings page at 192.168.100.1 and it's not resolving so this is likely a bug. My connection is still up and working though.

Which site are you seeing packet loss too? I've checked my own connection and I'm not seeing any packet loss or high latency to Google, bbc.co.uk or boards.

Are you in modem mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are you in modem mode?

Can I ask is modem mode available on the Hub 4 or do you have to request it to be enabled? Can you request it at the time of ordering or does it have to be requested afterwards?

Can I ask is modem mode available on the Hub 4 or do you have to request it to be enabled? Can you request it at the time of ordering or does it have to be requested afterwards?

You need to have an IPv4 address assigned and DS-Lite disabled to use modem mode. It's a setting on virgin's end, you're best off calling tech support once you're up and running and getting yourself switched over.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are you in modem mode?

Yes, I haven't used VM provided hardware for routing in about a decade as its been junk! My current setup is posted a few posts back if you're interested. As suggested you need may need to ring VM to be moved to an IPv4 address range.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Still waiting since August 22nd for notification on delivery. Rang customer care a couple of times and am told the delay is down to Covid.

• Advertisement

Yes, I haven't used VM provided hardware for routing in about a decade as its been junk! My current setup is posted a few posts back if you're interested. As suggested you need may need to ring VM to be moved to an IPv4 address range.

Has this changed then from the HUB 3 setup? I do remember being able to switch to modem mode on the HUB 3 user interface

So after a while waiting for my modem delivery, promised for last wednesday, I decided to contact the Whatsapp number and ask for the order status. I was told that I should contact 1908 for details, as they can see an order being placed on 29th (which was 5 days after I placed the order) and ask for the modem delivery status.

I think this launch has been disastrous. Not only do they have the pricing wrong, but they also have the hardware wrong, and the provisioning of the equipment wrong. Surely after months of introducing a 1Gbps service in the UK, VM Ireland should have been ready for such scenarios and mitigated against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

I'm in the same boat. I rang Friday evening and they told me it'll take weeks so now I'm reevaluating the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drabisan

Has this changed then from the HUB 3 setup? I do remember being able to switch to modem mode on the HUB 3 user interface

Option to switch to modem mode is in the GUI, same as with hub3. And, same as before, is available only for users off dslite.

allanroche wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I rang Friday evening and they told me it'll take weeks so now I'm reevaluating the whole thing.

I am re-evaluating the whole thing too. I am very wary of the stability issues that some folks are having. I've had solid connections on 500mb, and need to keep the stability now that I am working quite a lot from home. I do not need any downtime nor chasing tech support for getting the service up and running.

I cannot afford to spend so much time chasing VM to get the service to where it should be.

I am re-evaluating the whole thing too. I am very wary of the stability issues that some folks are having. I've had solid connections on 500mb, and need to keep the stability now that I am working quite a lot from home. I do not need any downtime nor chasing tech support for getting the service up and running.

I cannot afford to spend so much time chasing VM to get the service to where it should be.

Completely agree! Apparently the service is already active at my address since last Wednesday but I don't have the equipment to use it and probably won't for weeks according to the support rep on 1908, so you just know they're going to try charge for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Ordered the new 1gb service on Friday got a text from nightline saying the new router will be delivered today before 6. It's a bit strange some people are waiting and other orders are getting shipped straight away

MikeyJoyce wrote: »
    Ordered the new 1gb service on Friday got a text from nightline saying the new router will be delivered today before 6. It's a bit strange some people are waiting and other orders are getting shipped straight away

Can I ask when you got the text?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭MikeyJoyce

Can I ask when you got the text?

Half 9 this morning.

Internet has been really unstable this morning on the 500mb package. Keeps dropping every 30 mins or so i am hoping this is because i need the new router.

It's never dropped before. I will test it when the new router arrives it better fix everything as i work from home

Ground Floor Setup
    VM Hub in Modem Mode

First Floor Setup

Speedtests (Fast.com)

Converted Attic Setup

Speedtests (Fast.com)

Installation

Ordering Process

Other musings

May I ask what sq ft your house is? And how does the wifi do outside your house - e.g. in the garden?

I may go for the RBK53 :)

Half 9 this morning.

Internet has been really unstable this morning on the 500mb package. Keeps dropping every 30 mins or so i am hoping this is because i need the new router.

It's never dropped before. I will test it when the new router arrives it better fix everything as i work from home

We had issues about 18 months ago where the connection was dropping so many times. It caused a lot of arguments in the house!
    Got on to VM, and advised them that I felt the modem should be replaced.
    After 6 weeks, and changing cables outside the house, along the estate, and adding a booster further up the estate, they finally agreed it was my modem that was faulty.
    "I told you so" wouldn't have gone far enough to explain my frustration.
    I do not want a repeat experience.

• Advertisement

Half 9 this morning.

I actually had that at the weekend, things would constantly buffer or drop out. I put it down to my setup but I wonder if it's issues from the service being "active at my address"

Currently waiting on the phone to VM - wait time was 30 mins, and have been on hold for 28 mins.
    After almost 6 months of Covid19, they should definitely be more prepared to deal with their customers faster.

Took me 2 hours on Friday if that makes you feel any better

Took me 2 hours on Friday if that makes you feel any better

Not really :(

So much for their 30 mins wait time. I am calling from work and can't be staying on the phone for that length of time.

I am sure they understand that my time is just as valuable as theirs :P

Perhaps I should start billing them for time wasted?

Not really :(

So much for their 30 mins wait time. I am calling from work and can't be staying on the phone for that length of time.

I am sure they understand that my time is just as valuable as theirs :P

Perhaps I should start billing them for time wasted?

I'm not sure they understand anything :p

I've decided to open the chat on the support page and see if that gets me anywhere

Isn't it amazing that I could get through to sales in less than 3 minutes, but have to wait for ages to get through to anyone else?

I hung up after an hour of waiting on hold.
    I tried the whatsapp messaging service and asked to cancel my order.
    Got a response back to say that cancellations can only be done on 1908.

what a circus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Was a Google ChromeCast part of the upgrade you ordered?
    Thats probably whats coming.
    Same happened me last week, had to ring up and find out where the modem was and was told the order is processing so have to wait for another text for delivery.

You could be lucky though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

There seem to be problems with any orders created early on. My order was done on the 20th with no moment for a week.

There was a lot of confusion on customer services, sales, twitter, and whatsapp as to the state/progress. In the end, someone cancelled it, but of course, didn't tell me.

While trying all channels, I got through eventually.

I reordered on the web on Friday. Got all the confirmation emails on Friday and Saturday. I had a text this morning to say it would be delivered Tuesday.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

DecTenToo wrote: »
    There seem to be problems with any orders created early on. My order was done on the 20th with no moment for a week.

There was a lot of confusion on customer services, sales, twitter, and whatsapp as to the state/progress. In the end, someone cancelled it, but of course, didn't tell me.

While trying all channels, I got through eventually.

I reordered on the web on Friday. Got all the confirmation emails on Friday and Saturday. I had a text this morning to say it would be delivered Tuesday.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.

I followed your example and rang the sales team on 1908. The girl on the other end was extremely helpful and informed me that the order fulfilment takes please at a centre in India.

She also told me that the whoever originally processed the order left both my original services and the 1Gb service active together on the account so between that and the site in India (which is now apparently under full lockdown) the order was left in the processing state.

She cancelled the order for me and arranged for the upgrade to go through again and replacing my existing service rather than side by side as before. Fingers crossed now that things are on the right track.

• Advertisement
Advertisement