Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Marshes Dundalk - History?

• 20-08-2020 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I was in Dundalk yesterday for the first time in my life and I visited the Marshes Centre, it looks very new. Was this a former Railway station or some other type of British building? Dundalk has alot of Red Brick British features and I'm just curious about this Shopping Centre. What was there before this Neo Classical building.

Comments

Old Greyhound track was thereabouts. Not a whole lot else. The building takes a lot of "cues" from different building types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Old Greyhound track was thereabouts. Not a whole lot else. The building takes a lot of "cues" from different building types.

The old greyhound track was located on Rampart Lane.The entry was where the National Learning Network building is.although quite an expansive area it is not the Marshes(Aldi is there).Take your other point though and you're totally correct on that.

The SC is located at Marshes lower and opened in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

theguzman wrote: »
    I was in Dundalk yesterday for the first time in my life and I visited the Marshes Centre, it looks very new. Was this a former Railway station or some other type of British building? Dundalk has alot of Red Brick British features and I'm just curious about this Shopping Centre. What was there before this Neo Classical building.

It's a complete new build and was not a reconfiguration of any existing building.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

theguzman wrote: »

I believe it was the same designers as the Trafford Centre in Manchester. It's built on what used to be an old timber mill and the old greyhound track was nearby.

Advertisement