Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny 'poisoned'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is true.

But I expect that Navalny knows what he's doing.

It could also be as simple as, "Come home and be put on trial and we promise we won't kill your wife and children". There's nowhere on earth for these people to realistically hide, they'd be on the run until Putin dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My condolences to Navalny who fell from a prison window next Friday.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

seamus wrote: »
    This is true.

But I expect that Navalny knows what he's doing.

It could also be as simple as, "Come home and be put on trial and we promise we won't kill your wife and children". There's nowhere on earth for these people to realistically hide, they'd be on the run until Putin dies.

The only place I could see him being safe was to go to the US and claim political asylum. I think Putin ordering an extra judicial murder on American soil is one step too far for even him, the Americans would retaliate heavily if he dared do that. But Navalny is not for hiding abroad and dropping off the the radar anyway, its like he has accepted his fate and is going to face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The only place I could see him being safe was to go to the US and claim political asylum. I think Putin ordering an extra judicial murder on American soil is one step too far for even him, the Americans would retaliate heavily if he dared do that. But Navalny is not for hiding abroad and dropping off the the radar anyway, its like he has accepted his fate and is going to face it.

Wasn't there a case of a russian diplomat who was killed in the US but the Kremlin came out and said it was a heart attack but it seems he feel off a building

8 November 2016

On the morning of US Election Day, Russian diplomat Sergei Krivov, 63, was found lying unconscious on the floor of the Russian Consulate in New York with a head injury. Initial reports said Mr Krivov fell from the roof and had blunt force injuries, but Russian officials quickly changed their story and said he died from a heart attack..

Several other diplomats died in similar cases elsewhere but the Kremlin claimed that all died after short illness and heart attacks,

More recently doctors and nurses who complained about covid government failures stated to fall of balconies too.

The country is totally controlled very few people stand up

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »
    Wasn't there a case of a russian diplomat who was killed in the US but the Kremlin came out and said it was a heart attack but it seems he feel off a building

8 November 2016

On the morning of US Election Day, Russian diplomat Sergei Krivov, 63, was found lying unconscious on the floor of the Russian Consulate in New York with a head injury. Initial reports said Mr Krivov fell from the roof and had blunt force injuries, but Russian officials quickly changed their story and said he died from a heart attack..

Several other diplomats died in similar cases elsewhere but the Kremlin claimed that all died after short illness and heart attacks,

More recently doctors and nurses who complained about covid government failures stated to fall of balconies too.

The country is totally controlled very few people stand up

I don't know, I'd probably have a heart attack if I fell off tall building.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I'd probably have a heart attack if I fell off tall building.

You and me both

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My condolences to Navalny who fell from a prison window next Friday.

I shouldn't laugh but you and I are awful.

Didnt know about that Russian diplomat being pushed off the Russian consulate in NY. Though had Navalny gone to the US I dont think Putin would have tried to get to him, he can throw his weight around with the UK no problems but the US is a different kettle of fish in terms of the blowback of murdering someone given political asylum there,especially someone high profile like Navalny. Its academic anyway as he's chosen to face the music in Russia but just think it would have been a step too far for even Putin.

Anybody knows how popular this guy is in Russia? It looks to me like he's about as popular as Ahmad Chalabi, the great Iraqi liberator beloved by the Neo-conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

seamus wrote: »
    I read a suggestion that he's at much higher risk outside of the country than inside it.

That is, it's much harder for Putin to deny an assassination attempt if it occurs on home soil, especially now that Navalny's name is better known.

Since much of Putin's reputation rides on the strongman image, it could also hurt his public image for the public think that Putin had his rival assassinated like a coward rather than face him.

As for whether he's brave or stupid, I'm going to assume that Navalny knows a little bit more about the nuances of Russian politics than we do, so I'll go with brave.

This is probably the only option open to him that has any chance of seeing Putin toppled.

But sure the dogs in the street know what’s really going on here. I think he’ll be dead in a few weeks. Putin won’t personally gun him down in public but my take on it is that Putin wants everyone to know he’s behind this as a warning to others who may try something similar, that’s part of the strongman image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anybody knows how popular this guy is in Russia? .

Russia is twice the size of America in landmass.

Its difficult for one person to be truly popular and for people to make a connection.

His notoriety and popularity though surged AFTER he was poisoned.

20% of Russians approve of his activities 50% do not.

Obviously no ordinary russian wants him poisoned or imprisoned though...or worse ..which is prob going to happen..

But its a false dichotomy to think Navalny or Putin ...many don't like either.

Putin's approval rating is 59% ..if you believe it ..
    that’s part of the strongman image.
    People misinterpret this image.

Firstly i mean if you have to kill a man who wasn't that popular or powerful before ...you are not strong. And russians know that.

The thing is .....all power...or an awful lot of it ..is very centralized in russia....yes there are huge states ....but a lot of power is very centralized through putin.

So the question is ...what happens when he dies ? To the country ...to his LACKEYS ...yes he has a supposed selection of choices to succeed him. But well ....there is always the fear of CHAOS when a leader dies who has centralized power so much through himself.

He leverages a lot of power. And has helped or protected a lot of people.

So when he is threatened .....the system he protects is also.

The STRONGMAN image is this ...is to show putin isn't going to die tomorrow. He is healthy ...he is not losing control. So the billionaires who he protects know he still protects them.

People chosen maybe to succeed him are people like Sobyanin, Mishutin or Shoigu.

But Putin CANNOT choose a successor too soon. Because other people are going to be pissed off behind the scenes that it is not them.

And that would be chaos for everyone.

Thus the strong man image of Putin being young vital and in control.

But ..it IS just an image. Putin is just a man ..and he is just mortal. And the people IN the system ..are not really loyal beyond belief to him.

Navalny is lifting the lid on corruption.

He has made public what the dogs on the street know in russia ...that Putin has a one billion estate near the black sea that a man on putins salary should not have. He is just making people talk about it.

He hasn't exposed anything Russians do not know.

But you can be sure that Russians approve of his talking about it and do not approve of his arrest or anything that might happen to him.

But whether or not they support his politics I don't know.

I have never thought Russians were AS right wing as putin...but i never thought they were as left wing as the west.

In terms of there being a challenge to putin. No.

Russian doesn't have the systems or organizations to do this. And they haven't had for generations.

There isn't going to be a revolution.

MadYaker wrote: »
    But sure the dogs in the street know what’s really going on here. I think he’ll be dead in a few weeks. Putin won’t personally gun him down in public but my take on it is that Putin wants everyone to know he’s behind this as a warning to others who may try something similar, that’s part of the strongman image.

Id say Putin would like him dead but doesnt want to make him a martyr either so we will likely see a show trial with him getting a few years and that will be him silenced and dropped off the radar of Russian news.

Putin has got to be fuming with him though, not only did he trick a FSB officer into admitting the poisoning plot against him he also released the floor plans of Putins $1bn palace by the Black Sea all while Putins official Kremlin salary is $120k p.a.. On top of that he helped to unmask Putins secret daughter, no one knew her identity for over 30 years. For a former spy like Putin Navalny has made him look like a mug when it comes to spy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Id say Putin would like him dead but doesnt want to make him a martyr either so we will likely see a show trial with him getting a few years and that will be him silenced and dropped off the radar of Russian news.

Putin has got to be fuming with him though, not only did he trick a FSB officer into admitting the poisoning plot against him he also released the floor plans of Putins $1bn palace by the Black Sea all while Putins official Kremlin salary is $120k p.a.. On top of that he helped to unmask Putins secret daughter, no one knew her identity for over 30 years. For a former spy like Putin Navalny has made him look like a mug when it comes to spy games.
    ya all just yabbin about a common criminal who is a nobody in another country,
    he is not elected to even a parish council or school board BUT idiots swallow
    the lies which passed out to use as political attack --
    remind you J.Assange -- WHY usa not hailing him as the hero and that because
    he pointed the usa lies and murder\war crimes.--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It will be interesting this weekend with the scheduled protests to take place across Russia in support of Navalny. I expect mass arrests and beatings just like we saw in Belarus. Birds of a feather with these dictators.

Just a $50,000 fine in Russia for covering up Putins picture in school classrooms as protesters are doing right now, its all over Twitter
    jelem wrote: »

Hi Vlad and well done on your 4th fixed election

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kivaro wrote: »
    It will be interesting this weekend with the scheduled protests to take place across Russia in support of Navalny. I expect mass arrests and beatings just like we saw in Belarus. Birds of a feather with these dictators.

Lots of arrests already by the looks of it

Lots of arrests already by the looks of it

Meanwhile on Russia Today right now they are talking about Bitcoin icon14.png

Meanwhile on Russia Today right now they are talking about Bitcoin icon14.png

Of course they are ,

When putin invaded Ukraine they were running stories of genocide and mass graves of russians being found in part of East Ukraine .

Yet none were ever found

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gatling wrote: »
    Of course they are ,

When putin invaded Ukraine they were running stories of genocide and mass graves of russians being found in part of East Ukraine .

Yet none were ever found

The Russian version of WMD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Now they are going with 'protester knocks down police officer' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

jelem wrote: »

I think we can safely say his command of English grammar is better than yours

Now they are going with 'protester knocks down police officer' :rolleyes:

'Protester assaults Police Officer's baton with his head'

NATO paid protestors to turn up and flew and were bussed in thousands

KGB said it's true .........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Navalny will probably be found dead in his cell one of these mornings

fryup wrote: »
    Navalny will probably be found dead in his cell one of these mornings

He was mad to go back. He can't lead a movement from the grave.

It was a pretty decent turn out ,if this keeps going and crowds increase things could get tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Odhinn wrote: »
    He was mad to go back. He can't lead a movement from the grave.

He was but perhaps he knew going back he would get arrested and finally see people rise up against Putins fascistic regime and the international community stop treating Russia with kid gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

Looks like Navalny had one more ace up his sleeve before he went back into prison...

His supporters recently released a 1.5 hour investigative report on YouTube that suggests Putin and his inner circle siphoned over $1bn from government funding over many years to build a secret private palace (and surrounding estate) for Putin's own personal use near the Black Sea. As one can imagine, the report has gone viral in Russia and likely helped trigger the protestors.

This is a major raising of the stakes as Navalny has never gone after Putin personally in these kind of reports. Having said that, Navalny knows he's marked for death so I guess he feels he has nothing to lose at this point.

Interesting times ahead....

His supporters recently released a 1.5 hour investigative report on YouTube that suggests Putin and his inner circle siphoned over $1bn from government funding over many years to build a secret private palace (and surrounding estate) for Putin's own personal use near the Black Sea. As one can imagine, the report has gone viral in Russia and likely helped trigger the protestors.

We've been calling him Czar Vlad for a reason .

He says I'm not rich .he's mega effing rich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What is it with russian leaders and the obsession with taking out their opposition figures? Such fragile men.

Advertisement