Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny 'poisoned'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

FTA69 wrote: »
    There have been a multitude of polls done from a multitude of sources suggesting Putin retains around 60% popularity (albeit falling).

The sources are all from the Kremlin though , there is a large part of the population who couldn't pick Putin out of a photograph but yet he's one of the worlds most popular leaders ,the russian population has had close to 100 years of leaderships who have killed more russians citizens for next to nothing than was lost in various wars ,
    All they know is keep your head down and say nothing or face dire consequences for you and your family,
    Erdokan is the same he would have been gone only for putin to give him the idea America was going to overthrow him and he was his saviour ,but even erdokan is proving a thorn in Putin's side in Syria and places like Armenia and Azerbaijan , Putin needs erdokan because he's threatened to close the bosphorus straight to the russian naval forces into the ageian and Mediterranean seas , Which does a lot of damage to the black sea fleet either locking them out or locking them in ,

Gatling wrote: »
    The sources are all from the Kremlin though , there is a large part of the population who couldn't pick Putin out of a photograph but yet he's one of the worlds most popular leaders ,the russian population has had close to 100 years of leaderships who have killed more russians citizens for next to nothing than was lost in various wars ,
    All they know is keep your head down and say nothing or face dire consequences for you and your

Thats not true at all. There have been numerous independent polls. And where is the evidence that the Russian population couldn't pick Putin out of a photograph? It has one of the most educated populations in the world.

Edit:

I did the research on this that you didn't do and the 60% comes from last year in a poll by the Levada Center.

The Levada Center is a Russian independent, nongovernmental polling and sociological research organization recognized as a foreign agent under the 2012 Russian foreign agent law.[1] It is named after its founder, the first Russian professor of sociology Yuri Levada (1930—2006).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Interesting so despite your proclamations earlier it seems you also recognise an oligarchic dystopia when you see it. And rather travel to more civilised shores where poisonings or balcony falling is not a national a sport, interesting insight.

I am quite confident that tourists get ripped off in Rome too. They certainly do in Dublin, 8 Eypos for a pint of Guinness in our tourist traps. Welcome to Democracy. It is 350 rubles for a pint in Moscow ( 4 euro ) and that's in the posh bars.

We technically have an oligarchical dystopia as well, I have read the Sunday Indo's top 100 list... and that's just the gangsters' we know about?

Plenty of poisoning going on in Rome too... just ask the Andreotti's.

That’s the point ain’t it? neither Navalny nor anyone else who could oppose Putin is allowed to live long enough to stand in a fair and free elections versus a corrupt regime.

He seems to be still alive. In any case he is just a Western/US stooge, and the Russians have had that under Yeltsin. In the first few years of Putin, in fact, when he wasn't opposing US led wars, he was quite the darling. It was really his opposition to the US led campaigns to destabilise the Middle East and Europe that the US turned against him. But the US hates the world, in particular Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Polls are not elections, especially free and fair elections!

Putin keeps winning because any serious opposition is literally killed off, with a bunch of puppet crazies to offer an appearance of choice.

Whether Navalny is not a good person is not relevant (there’s a big campaign to smear him) the fact remains there is no free and fair elections in Russia where any alternative to Putin to arise

Polls can be faked, polls don’t make a real demicracy

I haven’t argued against any of that in this thread.

• Advertisement

The Levada Center is a Russian independent, nongovernmental polling .

There is no such thing as independent non governmental anything in russia, everything is controlled the the Kremlin and numourus state security agencies ,
    That's why we have the Troll factory controlling the narrative on line ,

You literally pointed at polls saying Putin is popular, if he is so popular then why is there no free and fair elections in Russia, why does any opposition keep dropping like flies? What does Putin have to be afraid if he is so great?

I said it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Putin also retains popularity in Russia and pointed out that you can be a dictatorial thug and still be popular. An example I gave is Erdogan who does have mass support in Turkey but also crushes political dissent and targets journalists.

Sure look how many people think our Taoisigh are popular? it doesn't stop them getting into power either.

In fact I would be happy to bet that Putin is more popular than the last 4 or 5 Taoisigh here?

IAMAMORON wrote: »

In fact I would be happy to bet that Putin is more popular than the last 4 or 5 Taoisigh here?

145 million voters Vs 4.5

One City votes would be more than all outs combined

You are comparing popularity of leaders between a country whose prisons are bursting due to people not being happy with corruption involved in Putins new palace (and many many other things) versus popularity of politicians in Ireland where a normal scandal would involve mismatched socks being worn?

Sure you can murder someone here and get out in a few years?

What sort of a society do you want to live in?
    YouSeriously!? How much are you being paid to post such nonsense?

Please try to keep things civil at least? There is no point screaming and pointing fingers at jilted democracies and flawed social conscience without exercising some sort of a desirable level of conversation? This is a discussion about social democracy and personal freedoms ( I think ). That should not be an excuse for posters to hurl insults at each other. We are better than that.
    Once again polls don’t make a democracy. Free and fair elections do. Something that’s obviously is missing in Russia

I don't think anyone is arguing that President Putin isn't a dodgy corrupt chunt. I think the point is however that such a system actually seems to work in modern Russia. No one thinks it is perfect either, but it could well be a start?

• Advertisement

Not Russia for sure, a society like we have here with free and fair elections.

And no housing, decent healthcare and a shight transport system?

I would rather get my own paid for gaff at 18 and a job to turn up to, or the option of university.

If the Quid Pro Quo is to shut up and put up I would have to consider it to be honest? I have to do that here anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He seems to be still alive. In any case he is just a Western/US stooge, and the Russians have had that under Yeltsin. In the first few years of Putin, in fact, when he wasn't opposing US led wars, he was quite the darling. It was really his opposition to the US led campaigns to destabilise the Middle East and Europe that the US turned against him. But the US hates the world, in particular Europe.

I hear Putin really hates violence and cries when he watches videos of kittens on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I said it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Putin also retains popularity in Russia and pointed out that you can be a dictatorial thug and still be popular. An example I gave is Erdogan who does have mass support in Turkey but also crushes political dissent and targets journalists.

So much political naivety in this post I dont know where to start. You dont seem to realise the connection between being a dictator who controls the media (by murder if necessary) and their 'popularity' ratings. Journalists are scared sh1tless of the Putin regime and the very few who arent keep getting killed. He has ultimate control of what the media feeds the Russian people so of course he is 'popular', like all dictators are.

Put it this way, if you were a Russan pollster and your poll showed Putin only had 40% popularity would you release that poll? Go ahead but now you and your family have a target on their back, expect a visit from the FSB and if you dont fall into line then they have ways and means of dealing with you. Thats what a dictatorship like Putins Russia means in reality, something you dont seem to get or understand.

Your notion that he is a popular dictator is frankly laughable. In new news 100% of North Koreans love Kim Jong-il :rolleyes:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    So much political naivety in this post I dont know where to start. You dont seem to realise the connection between being a dictator who controls the media (by murder if necessary) and their 'popularity' ratings. Journalists are scared sh1tless of the Putin regime and the very few who arent keep getting killed. He has ultimate control of what the media feeds the Russian people so of course he is 'popular', like all dictators are.

Put it this way, if you were a Russan pollster and your poll showed Putin only had 40% popularity would you release that poll? Go ahead but now you and your family have a target on their back, expect a visit from the FSB and if you dont fall into line then they have ways and means of dealing with you. Thats what a dictatorship like Putins Russia means in reality, something you dont seem to get or understand.

Your notion that he is a popular dictator is frankly laughable. In new news 100% of North Koreans love Kim Jong-il :rolleyes:

The poll I quoted wasn’t a governmental poll. And I’m not saying the guy is universally popular, the depth of which he is or isn’t is obviously unclear for the reasons you gave. What I actually said is that swathes of Russians do like him, and that isn’t unusual. Look at Turkey, Erdogan is essentially the Turkish equivalent of Putin (probably a bit behind him in the depth to which he has seized the state) but he’s at the same anti democratic and thuggish processes. And yet him and his party do have support in Turkey. Most of the average Turkish diaspora I’ve come across in Britain love him, and you’d be a brave man travelling around Turkey slagging him off to people.

The idea that the entire Russian populace is itching to get rid of Putin isn’t the case. And what you don’t seem to get is that demagogic figures can be and are popular, especially when things like nationalism and religion are utilised to galvanise people after a perceived period of national weakness and humiliation.

Say what you want about Putin but he is very popular in Russia. Anyone with a even lick of understanding about the history of Russia will understand why.

The poll I quoted wasn’t a governmental poll. And I’m not saying the guy is universally popular, the depth of which he is or isn’t is obviously unclear for the reasons you gave. What I actually said is that swathes of Russians do like him, and that isn’t unusual. Look at Turkey, Erdogan is essentially the Turkish equivalent of Putin (probably a bit behind him in the depth to which he has seized the state) but he’s at the same anti democratic and thuggish processes. And yet him and his party do have support in Turkey. Most of the average Turkish diaspora I’ve come across in Britain love him, and you’d be a brave man travelling around Turkey slagging him off to people.

The idea that the entire Russian populace is itching to get rid of Putin isn’t the case. And what you don’t seem to get is that demagogic figures can be and are popular, especially when things like nationalism and religion are utilised to galvanise people after a perceived period of national weakness and humiliation.

You cant trust any poll coming out of Russia when the very people running them know there is consequences for publishing anything that shows Putin as unpopular. This is a man who has had 20+ journalists murdered under his regime, a pollster would be a mere road bump in comparison. The simple fact is we dont truly know Putins true popularity and never will, the same goes for any dictator.

Im not disputing demagogic figueres cant or arent popular but you're not seeing how the all encompassing nature of dictatorships strives to make the dictator popular in the first place. Stalin killed over 20 million Russians but is venerated and revered in Russia to this day, why? Because you wont see any criticism of him in Russian media, the education system doesnt mention his genocide and there are still statues of him everywhere in every Russian town and city to this day. Instead of any mention of critiicism by the media on Stalin they refer to him affectionately as 'Uncle Joe'. Some uncle killing 20 million people.

You can make an inanimate carbon rod popular if you control the media. Russia has never had a free media that isnt controlled by the Kremlin so any prouncements on Putins popularity are to be taken with a tonnes of salt. If he truly believed he was popular then he wouldnt be afraid of holding free and fair elections. It speaks volumes that he doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

.....Stalin killed over 20 million Russians but is venerated and revered in Russia to this day, why? Because you wont see any criticism of him in Russian media, the education system doesnt mention his genocide and there are still statues of him everywhere in every Russian town and city to this day. .....

Er? What? There are almost no statues of Stalin in Russia at all.

You don't understand the nature of Soviet dictatorships at all. Soon after Stalin died, his statues were dismantled and he himself was denounced by the next leader of the USSR, Nikita Khrushchev. When Nikita was (unusually) made to retire, his policies were denounced too. And the glorious leader Brezhnev ascended to the throne. Guess what Gorbachev did? He denounced Brezhnev as bad leader who led Soviet Union into the stagnation. Shall I continue? You get the gist, I suppose.

Stalin was purged from history. Films were edited, his name removed from from school books.

You cant trust any poll coming out of Russia when the very people running them know there is consequences for publishing anything that shows Putin as unpopular. This is a man who has had 20+ journalists murdered under his regime, a pollster would be a mere road bump in comparison. The simple fact is we dont truly know Putins true popularity and never will, the same goes for any dictator.

Im not disputing demagogic figueres cant or arent popular but you're not seeing how the all encompassing nature of dictatorships strives to make the dictator popular in the first place. Stalin killed over 20 million Russians but is venerated and revered in Russia to this day, why? Because you wont see any criticism of him in Russian media, the education system doesnt mention his genocide and there are still statues of him everywhere in every Russian town and city to this day. Instead of any mention of critiicism by the media on Stalin they refer to him affectionately as 'Uncle Joe'. Some uncle killing 20 million people.

You can make an inanimate carbon rod popular if you control the media. Russia has never had a free media that isnt controlled by the Kremlin so any prouncements on Putins popularity are to be taken with a tonnes of salt. If he truly believed he was popular then he wouldnt be afraid of holding free and fair elections. It speaks volumes that he doesnt.

The poll was by an organisation targeted by and disliked by the government. As we both agree on though, it’s not an exact science and we’ll never know the true extent of his popularity (something in of itself that’s hard to define clearly)

Likewise I’m not disputing what you say regards the reasons behind his popularity. I never said many Russians like him because he’s a genuinely great lad or whatever; I just said there’s a multitude of people who do support him for a variety of different reasons.

As for elections, you can be popular and also have a disdain for liberal democracy. Erdogan is another example of this; if an election was held tomorrow he’d clean up. But yet he’s still battering the opposition and locking up academics and journalists. Probably because of his own disdain for democracy, paranoia about saboteurs and ‘foreign agents’ etc as well as the belief the nation needs ‘strong stewardship’ and all that b*llocks.

victor8600 wrote: »
    Er? What? There are almost no statues of Stalin in Russia at all.

You don't understand the nature of Soviet dictatorships at all. Soon after Stalin died, his statues were dismantled and he himself was denounced by the next leader of the USSR, Nikita Khrushchev. When Nikita was (unusually) made to retire, his policies were denounced too. And the glorious leader Brezhnev ascended to the throne. Guess what Gorbachev did? He denounced Brezhnev as bad leader who led Soviet Union into the stagnation. Shall I continue? You get the gist, I suppose.

Stalin was purged from history. Films were edited, his name removed from from school books.

They are erecting new statues of Stalin in Russia, he is revered among many Russian citizens. You're right to say he was white washed from history which is why many Russians dont know the true nature of his genocide.

But the overall point is that if you are a dictator and control the media then it is pretty easy to be popular. Think it was Machievelli who wrote in the Prince that a dictator wants one part of the population to love him and the other part to fear him. Once that has been achieved they can hold power indefinitely which is precisely what Putin has being doing for two decades now. Ive no doubt some of his popularity is genuine but counter balancing that is a lot of people fear to even speak out against him, put the head down and get on with life. If you make your opposition fear you then you'll always be seen as popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ramasun

As bad as Putin is you'd worry about the potential for chaos if he were to die suddenly. Even if Navalny were somehow to replace him who knows what he'd do to secure his position. I haven't heard his views about the annexation of Crimea or the war in Donbass for example, he could escalate situations to win support.

• Advertisement

T

As for elections, you can be popular and also have a disdain for liberal democracy. Erdogan is another example of this; if an election was held tomorrow he’d clean up. But yet he’s still battering the opposition and locking up academics and journalists. Probably because of his own disdain for democracy, paranoia about saboteurs and ‘foreign agents’ etc as well as the belief the nation needs ‘strong stewardship’ and all that b*llocks.

Yeah but there is a direct correlation between those two things. Its not hard to win elections when all the journalists who would criticise your policies and the direction the country is heading are locked up in prison and those who are free are too afraid of prison to speak up. Once a free media is suppressed its pretty easy to be popular and win elections when all the remaining media are constantly reporting that you are the best thing since sliced bread.

The same goes for opposition voters. By suppressing the media a dictator also suppresses the people from voting against him. When they see journalists in prison after show trials then they realise anyone could be next. Without free and fair elections is an opposition voter really going to go into a polling station and declare they dont like dictator? Some will but most people just want an easy life, hell some of them may vote for the dictator just to ensure that they and their families are safer in that kind of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Vladimir Putin, to get on the good side of voters, goes to visit a school in Moscow to have a chat with the kids.
    He talks to them about how Russia is a powerful nation and how he wants the best for the people.
    At the end of the talk there is a section for questions.
    Little Sasha puts her hand up and says, "I have two questions. Why did the Russians take Crimea and why are we sending troops to the Ukraine?"
    Putin says, "Good questions". But just as he is about to answer the bell goes and the kids go to lunch.
    When they come back, they sit down and there is room for some more questions. Another girl, Misha, puts her hand up and says "I have four questions. Why did the Russians invade Crimea, why are we sending troops to the Ukraine, why did the bell go 20 minutes early and where the fluck is Sasha?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There is no such thing as independent non governmental anything in russia, everything is controlled the the Kremlin and numourus state security agencies ,
    That's why we have the Troll factory controlling the narrative on line ,

It is the only real difference between Russia and the US. In Russia, the state funds the trolls. In the US, the private sector cuts out the middle man and funds them itself.
    Its not hard to win elections when all the journalists who would criticise your policies and the direction the country is heading are locked up in prison and those who are free are too afraid of prison to speak up. Once a free media is suppressed its pretty easy to be popular and win elections when all the remaining media are constantly reporting that you are the best thing since sliced bread.

You're talking as if an intimidated or tame media is somehow unique to Russia. Nathan J Robinson was recently sacked by the Guardian, that bastion of free speech and fearless reporting, because he joked on social media about about US military aid to Israel. Western journalism doesn't operate freely and without questions. Just because the censorship is outsourced to private interests doesn't make it more virtuous than state censorship.

The pretense that Russia is an 'evil empire' whereas everything is free and easy in the west is just warmed over Cold War rhetoric. US conservatives are whipped up to see the evil Chinese communists behind every bad thing that happens, whereas US liberals are whipped up to see evil Russians behind every bad thing that happens. US liberals are so gaslit they have been sold Navalny - a run of the mill Russian chauvinist who has consorted with neo-nazis - as the great liberal hope in Russia.

It is all so tiresome.

Sand wrote: »
    You're talking as if an intimidated or tame media is somehow unique to Russia. Nathan J Robinson was recently sacked by the Guardian, that bastion of free speech and fearless reporting, because he joked on social media about about US military aid to Israel. Western journalism doesn't operate freely and without questions. Just because the censorship is outsourced to private interests doesn't make it more virtuous than state censorship.

The pretense that Russia is an 'evil empire' whereas everything is free and easy in the west is just warmed over Cold War rhetoric. US conservatives are whipped up to see the evil Chinese communists behind every bad thing that happens, whereas US liberals are whipped up to see evil Russians behind every bad thing that happens. US liberals are so gaslit they have been sold Navalny - a run of the mill Russian chauvinist who has consorted with neo-nazis - as the great liberal hope in Russia.

It is all so tiresome.

No whats tiresome is your false equivalence argument comparing a private media company with an actual dictatorship regime who murders journalists, over 20 at the last count under Putin. Is that really the best you can do?

No whats tiresome is your false equivalence argument comparing a private media company with an actual dictatorship regime who murders journalists, over 20 at the last count under Putin. Is that really the best you can do?

You talked about a suppressed media. When its pointed out that media is suppressed in the west as well, the goal posts are moved again. Is that really the best you can do?

As it is, there is a lot of accusations but surprisingly little evidence that Putin murders political opponents. The case of Navalny's supposed 'poisoning' is a good example. The claim is the regime poisoned a dangerous political foe with Novichok - a cold war era nerve agent developed in Soviet era labs. 30 year old technology. He was then brought to a Russian hospital who found no trace of poisoning, and released to fly to Germany where lo and behold Novichok poisoning was detected where the Russian doctors couldn't find it. Luckily he made a full recovery.

There is a lot of problems with the story
    - Navalny isnt a dangerous political foe. His support in Russia amounts to little more than 2% of the electorate. Even if Putin is a ruthless amoral monster (and he is) the risk/reward of brazenly murdering a political non-entity makes no sense.
    - Novichok is a dumb weapon of choice for the Russian regime as it allows for the attempt to be linked back to Russia straight away. Why not just push him off a balcony and maintain some plausible deniability for 100% lethal method rather than using a Russian signature agent with a patchy success rate?
    - The Russian doctors who initially treated him found no evidence of poisoning. Are they in on the attempt to murder him?
    - If the Russian regime wanted him dead, why did they release him from hospital and let him go to Germany, therefore losing control of the situation?

The Putin regime certainly didn't benefit from the whole drama. Opponents of the Nordstream pipeline did though. Germany has been under massive pressure from the US to cancel co-operation with Russia for that pipeline, up to an including the threat of sanctions. They refuse, but now all of a sudden a poorly executed, hamfisted effort to 'assassinate' a minor Russian activist with a Russian signature agent lands on Germany's doorstep to embarrass them into ending co-operation with the Russians on Nordstream. Who benefits?

This is where you tell me the US are the good guys, right?

You talked about a suppressed media. When its pointed out that media is suppressed in the west as well, the goal posts are moved again. Is that really the best you can do?

As it is, there is a lot of accusations but surprisingly little evidence that Putin murders political opponents. The case of Navalny's supposed 'poisoning' is a good example. The claim is the regime poisoned a dangerous political foe with Novichok - a cold war era nerve agent developed in Soviet era labs. 30 year old technology. He was then brought to a Russian hospital who found no trace of poisoning, and released to fly to Germany where lo and behold Novichok poisoning was detected where the Russian doctors couldn't find it.

Russian doctors couldn't find it suprise surprise ,but it's not the first , second ,or third time they have used either novichok ,pulominum or other deadly nerve agent both inside and outside of Russia , despite the well documented evidence they have , but there is no suprise someone on line denies it or other events happened ,
    They do it because they can and he shows he doesn't care where you are he will make an example out of you with whatever tools he has to make a grand statement

The chap who contracted for the Guardian isnt in prison and is free to work elsewhere. Nor does he have the threat of being murdered hanging over his head like Russian journalists do. So to say that is an example of a suppressed media in comparison to Putin having journalists murdered is just stupid really when he still has his life and is free to blog away to his hearts content, which is what he is doing.

As for the rest of your post its dripping in apologism for the Putin regime. The hospital in Berlin confirmed Navalny was poisoned with novichok so its clear you're now accusing them of lying while trying to make out like we can trust the statements of the Kremlin that he wasnt poisoned :rolleyes: Ive a bag of magic beans to sell you here because its clear youve already drank the kool aid.

The chap who contracted for the Guardian isnt in prison and is free to work elsewhere. Nor does he have the threat of being murdered hanging over his head like Russian journalists do. So to say that is an example of a suppressed media in comparison to Putin having journalists murdered is just stupid really when he still has his life and is free to blog away to his hearts content, which is what he is doing.

As for the rest of your post its dripping in apologism for the Putin regime. The hospital in Berlin confirmed Navalny was poisoned with novichok so its clear you're now accusing them of lying while trying to make out like we can trust the statements of the Kremlin that he wasnt poisoned :rolleyes: Ive a bag of magic beans to sell you here because its clear youve already drank the kool aid.

Since the mid 90s to present day about 400 + journalists have died in russia ,while Putin isn't to blame for all of them many died investigating him and his many corrupt cronies ,
    (A good few died in the Chechen wars ) too

So you don't contest that western media is suppressed. The same media you rely on to inform you about Putin and Russia.

As for the rest of your post its dripping in frankly boring ad hominems, strawmen and emoticons. All to try deflect from your crippling inability to argue the points raised. I'm going to stick to the points - you do you.

• Advertisement

Since the mid 90s to present day about 400 + journalists have died in russia ,while Putin isn't to blame for all of them many died investigating him and his many corrupt cronies ,
    (A good few died in the Chechen wars ) too

I would say in that type of regime you dont even need Putin to order them. Once actors see that you can murder a journalist with no consequences or justice being brought to bear then the die is cast. The culture comes from the top and is then all pervasive which is what makes Russia one of the most dangerous countries in the world in which to be a journalist.

Advertisement