Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is there anyway you can watch one off games on Amazon Prime or do you have to join up for the month ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Almost 2 years into his regime, and so far I haven't felt a twinge of regret about his appointment.

I don't have any regrets about Ole being made manager either. It was a shocking appointment and shouldn't work on any level but it hasnt actually been as bad, yet, as it might of been.

I have said it before, something drastic has to happen for United hierarchy to actually change the way its running the club. I would rather something drastic (good or bad) happens under Ole, then we get a manager who has us nicely perched between 2nd-4th to keep our owners happy.

As I said, be careful what you wish for, United's problems run far deeper then their manager. There is no football ambition at the club, Ole being manager is a manifestation of the way the club has been rule for ages. But maybe hes so wrong he just might make the club work. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

In fairness the one thing holding me in check aboout Ole is the fact my posts would be used against me in the event he won a CL or PL at Utd. I'm happy to stay quietly amused.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    In fairness the one thing holding me in check aboout Ole is the fact my posts would be used against me in the event he won a CL or PL at Utd. I'm happy to stay quietly amused.

If Ole amuses you, you should be beaming anytime you see a pic of Woodward or the Glazers. They are the gift that will keep on giving you guys something to laugh about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think you're fairly safe there IMO. But it does seem like one off games like in the cups could suit the players & manager at Utd more. It allows them to play their underdogs role of sitting deep and using the sprinters up front to counter attack into space.

There are some excellent players at the club but it's the knitting them together is the problem and how the manager reacts to changes in the game.

Small things like continuing to play Fred midweek while he was a walking red card instead of putting on a different midfielder. Then again that could also say more about the likes of Pogba that the manager has more faith in Fred not getting sent off than making a sub. PSG had made a tactical sub before the 2-1 and changed the game flow in their favour again and it was too late by the time OGS reacted.

they keep going on these worrying winning streaks. what is it 8 away games in a row know they've won, didn't they win something like 19 in a row last year at one point? they have the players to do well in spurts

they keep going on these worrying winning streaks. what is it 8 away games in a row know they've won, didn't they win something like 19 in a row last year at one point? they have the players to do well in spurts

Twice they have gone on some 20 game runs under Ole. Its weird cause he really shouldn't work at all but every time it looks like its falling apart they go on some crazy run. If he figures out how to beat crap teams it could all fall into place ! ! !:pac:

In a weird way, if they qualify for the CL knockouts, the stronger the teams get the better it feels like United will play. This squad is so f*8king weird, I would nearly fancy them more against Bayern Munich in the knockouts then a Seville or Porto! They really may be CL dark horses in a really unconventional way.

The CL is great for dark horses. Ask the great Chelsea sides of 2005 and 2007.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I find it amusing when rival fans make a lot out of Ole keeping his job. If the last 8 years should of thought anybody, it doesn't matter who is managing United, they aren't gonna win any leagues or champions leagues simply by hiring a better manager. The club is a basket case and run so poorly, a top coach cannot compensate for all the issues behind the scenes.

United are just as likely to win something big with Ole as they were under LVG or Jose. As much as people downplay last season, it was still the clubs 2nd best league finish in 8 years that was done under our least experienced coach since SAF retired. The club cuts the feet from under better managers , so I think having a poorer manager who might work better in the dysfunctional setup at the club may actually end up forcing rival fans to be sorry for what wishing Ole a long tenure at United.

Either way, Ole or no Ole, United is being run by incompetent, egotistical morons who have a major influence with the first team (hello Martial/Pogba, contract extensions for everybody) more then is acknowledged. They are doing a terrible job with the football side of things but they don't care because they are making money and it seems they enjoy retaining control over the football side. They are living proof that sh*ite owners can make money with an EPL and American football club. They are equivalent to Hicks and Gillette but United is so valuable its taking ages for their mismanagement to really cost the club big.

Talk to me when Utd are close to administration and you go from CL semi finalists to floating not far from the relegation zone. Then they might be comparable to Hicks and Gillette.

Currently, the comparison doesn't stack up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

every time it looks like its falling apart they go on some crazy run.

It really seems to be a common theme with Ole, doesn't it?

I remember the night Pochettino was on MNF & all the talk & hope afterwards was that he'd be United's next manager & that Ole's days were numbered.

Roll on United's next game & Ole makes a statement by spanking Everton 3-1 at Goodison in a way that said "sorry folks, Poch ain't coming & I ain't going".

This is followed by 3 wins on the bounce including an amazing comeback against Southampton & a masterclass by Ole in subbing on El Matador to get him the result he needs.

United are back & Ole's at the wheel one might say & rightly so.

But nope. While there's no shame in losing to PSG during the week like he did, things like the Fred situation are unforgivable & quite frankly, poor management.

I'm sure there are several other examples of this kind of situation with Ole during his tenure. He's never bad enough to get the sack, but never good enough to be where the United faithful want their team to be.

It must be frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is really exciting news. Would be fantastic if this is the future in English football. Should lead to higher attendances and improved atmosphere. Hopefully this is just the start of it

https://twitter.com/the42_ie/status/1334913182859751435?s=21

6 wrote: »
    Talk to me when Utd are close to administration and you go from CL semi finalists to floating not far from the relegation zone. Then they might be comparable to Hicks and Gillette.

Currently, the comparison doesn't stack up.

Yeh, maybe a comparison is unfair , they are worse then Gillette and hicks as they wont sell up because they are too comfortable. They have the perfect scenario, the club doesnt have to perform well on field and they still make money and continue to pile debt on as it suits them.

Its easy to forget when they did their leveraged takeover, many thought United could collapse as a result. They couldnt of predicted the meteoric rise in football revenue. They equally couldnt guarantee SAF would be able to make the club a success with a 70 million loan repayment due every year before any funds were available for transfers. They got lucky, but history would write that they were great business men, its always the case that facts are lost/ignored when riches are made.

History is kind to the Glazers, but I have not forgotten how they strapped the club with never before seen dept that could of been the end of the club. At least Hicks and Gillette f**ked off, United fans havent been so lucky. Liverpool was affordable, United is out of reach of any potential saviour.

you might be able to sell your soul to some wealthy arabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eigrod wrote: »
    This is really exciting news. Would be fantastic if this is the future in English football. Should lead to higher attendances and improved atmosphere. Hopefully this is just the start of it

For the safe standing I've seen, it didn't increase attendances as the footprint required for each person remains the same (which is what makes it safe).

Massively helps with atmosphere though! You still have your allotted 'seat' number, and a sloped surface to lean your arse back against if you want (which itself actually folds out as a seat if needed), along with your own drink holder etc, but you're on your feet all the time and the energy that alone gives is so much better.

eigrod wrote: »

Unfortunate with the timing of the news.

Less than a month to the 50th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster, when 66 were crushed to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Less than a month to the 50th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster, when 66 were crushed to death.

rt4LQ8.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sweet suffering jesus:pac::pac::pac:

When's the right time to announce then?

Sweet suffering jesus:pac::pac::pac:

It's hit a few football forums and outlets recently, I guess the 50th anniversary is significant for some. And funny for others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

It's hit a few football forums and outlets recently, I guess the 50th anniversary is significant for some. And funny for others.

Ah here, nobody laughing at the significance, maybe laughing at your ability to take offence though 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This isn't even new news, this was announced ages ago and it's great to see.

It has to be better than the all seating now, in the Kop for example barely anyone is seated which just leads to be people tumbling all over the place when a goal goes in. I'm kind of shocked we havn't seen major injuries to people in those masses.

The only thing the new standing facilities have in common with any past disasters is that they are standing, it's night and day between being packed together like sardines on concrete steps with only a person in front of to brace against.

Ibrox disaster in January
    Munich disaster in February
    Burnden Park disaster in March
    Hillsborough disaster in April
    Estradiol Nacional disaster in May
    Puerto disaster in June
    Kolkata stampede in August

I'm sure been few more in other months.

So when would it suit a person like you for them to make a announcement so you wont be "offended"?

you might be able to sell your soul to some wealthy arabs

Yeh I know some of our fans are desperate for that but I’d rather not. As much as I don’t expect anything good under the Glazers , it would be hallow victory with a dodgy owner looking to use the club in that manner. We don’t need owners to pump money into the club, just run it better, that’s all and the club will do far better.

Yeh, maybe a comparison is unfair , they are worse then Gillette and hicks as they wont sell up because they are too comfortable. They have the perfect scenario, the club doesnt have to perform well on field and they still make money and continue to pile debt on as it suits them.

Its easy to forget when they did their leveraged takeover, many thought United could collapse as a result. They couldnt of predicted the meteoric rise in football revenue. They equally couldnt guarantee SAF would be able to make the club a success with a 70 million loan repayment due every year before any funds were available for transfers. They got lucky, but history would write that they were great business men, its always the case that facts are lost/ignored when riches are made.

History is kind to the Glazers, but I have not forgotten how they strapped the club with never before seen dept that could of been the end of the club. At least Hicks and Gillette f**ked off, United fans havent been so lucky. Liverpool was affordable, United is out of reach of any potential saviour.

H&G didn't sell up and go willingly. They fought tooth and nail to stop the sale of the club and remain where they were, but they had run the club into the ground enough - on the brink of going under - that the bank (RBS) they owed their debt to took them to court and won a case that forced them to sell to the offer on the table.

I can't stand the Glazers either, but they've kept the business functioning as a money making machine and very much a going concern. Though to your point, maybe they're worse by being better. H&G were bad enough that they caused their own exit by destroying the club meaning it could at least eventually be rebuilt, while the Glazers have their shit together enough to keep leeching for the long term.

Hicks and Gillette only ****ed off because of a defeat in court ! Pair of chancers tbh.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    H&G didn't sell up and go willingly. They fought tooth and nail to stop the sale of the club and remain where they were, but they had run the club into the ground enough - on the brink of going under - that the bank (RBS) they owed their debt to took them to court and won a case that forced them to sell to the offer on the table.

I can't stand the Glazers either, but they've kept the business functioning as a money making machine and very much a going concern. Though to your point, maybe they're worse by being better. H&G were bad enough that they caused their own exit by destroying the club meaning it could at least eventually be rebuilt, while the Glazers have their shit together enough to keep leeching for the long term.

Yeh, I’m at the stage where I’d be ok with the club really struggling badly if it meant new owners. Even a relagation battle or relegation would be fine with me if they f**ked off, that’s how bad I think they are. The fans get no benefits to them being able to market the club well. I know people will say I’m mad but what’s madder is that our own fans know even if Poch came in they’d undermine him just as we start looking like we might make a challange for the league and he’d be gone in 3 years.

When you have owners that are so disinterested in winning it permeates throughout the club. The apathy they show to the clubs failures on field is difficult to fathom. Any other business would look at players transfers and wages (clubs biggest expenditure) and make radical changes after considering the return on this investment part of the business. But not our owners, they don’t care once they get paid. United cannot return to being a top club while those at the top take such a toxic approach to on field targets.

Players contracts are extending to retain their market book value. Players are signed out of convenience. While the club might of wanted pogba, it’s no coincidence the clubs most expensive signing ever was also one of the most marketable at the time he was bought. When areas need to be addressed within the squad it takes years before they act. The fascination with youth (retain/grow value of players) leaves us in a perpetual state of building a squad. There is no hope that anything will change at the club unless they get lucky or they sell up or they decide to actually pay attention to the football side and get in people who know what they are doing.

God, I really f**king hate them and clueless Ed. Experts in failure on field but making money from their clubs off it so they won’t be gone anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Puerto disaster in June

So when would it suit a person like you for them to make a announcement so you wont be "offended"?

tenor.gif

After that reach obviously never

Yeh, I’m at the stage where I’d be ok with the club really struggling badly if it meant new owners. Even a relagation battle or relegation would be fine with me if they f**ked off, that’s how bad I think they are. The fans get no benefits to them being able to market the club well. I know people will say I’m mad but what’s madder is that our own fans know even if Poch came in they’d undermine him just as we start looking like we might make a challange for the league and he’d be gone in 3 years.

When you have owners that are so disinterested in winning it permeates throughout the club. The apathy they show to the clubs failures on field is difficult to fathom. Any other business would look at players transfers and wages (clubs biggest expenditure) and make radical changes after considering the return on this investment part of the business. But not our owners, they don’t care once they get paid. United cannot return to being a top club while those at the top take such a toxic approach to on field targets.

Players contracts are extending to retain their market book value. Players are signed out of convenience. While the club might of wanted pogba, it’s no coincidence the clubs most expensive signing ever was also one of the most marketable at the time he was bought. When areas need to be addressed within the squad it takes years before they act. The fascination with youth (retain/grow value of players) leaves us in a perpetual state of building a squad. There is no hope that anything will change at the club unless they get lucky or they sell up or they decide to actually pay attention to the football side and get in people who know what they are doing.

God, I really f**king hate them and clueless Ed. Experts in failure on field but making money from their clubs off it so they won’t be gone anytime soon.

Obviously the Glazer's stop yee from being the absolute financial powerhouse yee should be if not for servicing debt lumped on by them - but from the outside Ed Woodward looks the bigger problem.

Even though the Glazers don't funnel all the money back into the club, there is still more than enough money there to be competitive. Plenty is spent on transfers, and tonnes are spent on wages... it's just been spent fairly poorly over the past 5+ years. So it looks like the companies decision making of what to do with the money is the problem even moreso than the ownership. Which of course comes down to the owners choices, but it's Ed's decisions that make life tougher for your managers. A better head of the company would have better recruitment staff, and better heads of departments.

And it's a lot easier to get rid of Ed than the owners, or at least to bring in someone under him to manage the footballing aspects.

Puerto disaster in June

I'm not offended. I merely noted the timing was unfortunate as the Ibrox Disaster is getting some coverage again.

Anyway, I thought you were amused/dismissive. You now seem to want to engage about every disaster you can google. You're being a little facetious with the question, aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Is there anyway you can watch one off games on Amazon Prime or do you have to join up for the month ,

You may join for the month there is 3 Liverpool games on it in December

• Advertisement

Do you still need to change the location to UK for Prime to work over here? For the PL games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You might get a free one month trial. But it's only 7.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Do you still need to change the location to UK for Prime to work over here? For the PL games..

I would say so, there was a big twitter thread recently about Amazon not showing that Autumn nations cup thing in Northern Ireland as it did not have the rights for Ireland as it is on Premier Sports

JPA wrote: »
    You might get a free one month trial. But it's only 7.99.

And if ya do have to pay, if ever there's a month to do it for it's December, with the free delivery on bits of christmas shopping.

I'm not offended. I merely noted the timing was unfortunate as the Ibrox Disaster is getting some coverage again.

Anyway, I thought you were amused/dismissive. You now seem to want to engage about every disaster you can google. You're being a little facetious with the question, aren't you?

So why bring it up? Don’t worry going by your history you’re well able google too. FA cup semi final v Crystal Palace comes to mind;)

So why bring it up? Don’t worry going by your history you’re well able google too. FA cup semi final v Crystal Palace comes to mind;)

From the initial sniggers, I see you've moved from Googling other disasters to checking my history and something about Crystal Palace in the Cup.

I think I actually prefer the sniggering you to the getting upset and intense you...

From the initial sniggers, I see you've moved from Googling other disasters to checking my history and something about Crystal Palace in the Cup.

I think I actually prefer the sniggering you to the getting upset and intense you...

I haven’t moved anything.

You brought up something that has sweet FA relevance to the topic in hand.

I’m laughing at you yes. It’s pathetic why you brought it up. It’s not your first time doing it that’s all. I just pointed that out.

But if you think I’m upset fair enough:pac:

I haven’t moved anything.

You brought up something that has sweet FA relevance to the topic in hand.

I’m laughing at you yes. It’s pathetic why you brought it up. It’s not your first time doing it that’s all. I just pointed that out.

But if you think I’m upset fair enough:pac:

You're getting more personal and intense. You obviously are upset.

There was a post about the reintroduction of standing areas in a ground. I merely noted that the 50th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster, where 66 died of asphyxiation and suffocation is imminent. I see a connection, you may not.

You're getting more personal and intense. You obviously are upset.

There was a post about the reintroduction of standing areas in a ground. I merely noted that the 50th anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster, where 66 died of asphyxiation and suffocation is imminent. I see a connection, you may not.

Ya sure you do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

You wouldn't be happy with new owners if it ment struggling more than now. All United supporters wax lyrical about wanting it. But in reality you all secretly believe Ole will turn the tides and all will be well.

United will always be on the peripheral of success, within touching distance of being a big team again and that's what keeps the Glaziers happy and fans from defecting. They still invest. They still keep just low enough below expectation that it could change. Brilliant ownership. If not exceptional.

Ed is not a failure.... He's a perfect fit for the circumstance that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You still never acknowledged when would be a good time to announce it tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

You wouldn't be happy with new owners if it ment struggling more than now. All United supporters wax lyrical about wanting it. But in reality you all secretly believe Ole will turn the tides and all will be well.

United will always be on the peripheral of success, within touching distance of being a big team again and that's what keeps the Glaziers happy and fans from defecting. They still invest. They still keep just low enough below expectation that it could change. Brilliant ownership. If not exceptional.

Ed is not a failure.... He's a perfect fit for the circumstance that is.

United have invested more than most teams, pay more than most teams so it's only bad management both on and off field that's keeping them from challenging for major honours. If United were more successful the club would make even more money. It really wouldn't take much for United to be completing for major honours again. As badly mismanaged as they are, they are still on the periphery of challenging for major honours, but, unlikely to win any. Obviously the likes of Woodward would need to be replaced and a high level manager installed. They need to change their player recruitment policy, at the moment they are overpaying for average players and compounding this by overpaying the same average players.By changing their recruitment policy and pay structure they would compete better and from a financial viewpoint it probably wouldn't cost them anymore than what it's costing them at the moment.

You still never acknowledged when would be a good time to announce it tbf

Not sure about good times, guess the 15th April would be worse. Suspect Hillsborough registers more than Ibrox.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Not sure about good times, guess the 15th April would be worse. Suspect Hillsborough registers more than Ibrox.

Pretty confident you wouldn't be sure, and that was the whole point. It's also clear you'd like to inflame the situation. Hillsborough was more recent, that's it.

Pretty confident you wouldn't be sure...

I'm certain someone would mention it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think there are better ways to watch it here? Aren’t the Amazon PL games on Premier Sports in Ireland? And even then there are better ways....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The poster must not be great at Googling.

They left out Bradford City

Why do people always seem to forget Bradford City ?

11th May 1985 by the way.

The poster must not be great at Googling.

They left out Bradford City

Why do people always seem to forget Bradford City ?

11th May 1985 by the way.

Because it was a fire. And it was in a seated area. It wasn't crush related like Ibrox and Hillsborough.

Dalglish was at Ibrox, Hillsborough and Heysel the day of the tragedies. There was probably a fair few at the latter two because they weren't that far apart but to be at Ibrox as well is some coincidence.

Bradford was truly shocking too, it just made no sense so many people could die out in the open from a fire. The panic must have been unreal.

• Advertisement

Dalglish was at Ibrox, Hillsborough and Heysel the day of the tragedies. There was probably a fair few at the latter two because they weren't that far apart but to be at Ibrox as well is some coincidence.

It's pretty extraordinary alright, as stoic as he always seemed you'd think it would have to have some traumatic effect on him.

One that is often forgotten is the death of Ian Hambridge when a wall collapsed during a riot between Leeds and Birmingham fans on the same day as the Bradford fire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement