Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

RasTa wrote: »
    He's done a Klopp then.

Poor from Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Taken off because he was injured

Ole said he was but that's something managers say when they take a player off at HT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Was he? Didn't notice, thought Bruno was supposed to be injured too? Or did he simply want to keep him for midweek.

Ole said in his post match interview that he had to take him off as he had an injury.

Bruno was carrying a knock on his foot since the Southampton game. Not injured per say but Ole said he didn’t want to use him today unless he had to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

JPA wrote: »
    Ole said he was but that's something managers say when they take a player off at HT.

Except he didn’t say that about VDB who was also hooked at half time.

Only allowed 2000 fans. Let's put them all in the same stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No way Martial was staying on over him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Only allowed 2000 fans. Let's put them all in the same stand.

Once it's big enough so that they are socially distanced, so what?

The Kop will have 1500 and the Main Stand 500 tomorrow.

Probably a better chance of an atmosphere if they are in the same stand and less stewarding as you dont have the 'whole stadium' open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Nicely taken goal from Bamford

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lovely goal. Lively start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Werner????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Werner????

I need a replay of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What a clearance from Werner pity for him it was the wrong end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

As a traditionalist remembering great Chelsea and Leeds games in the 70s, its kinda sad to see Leeds not wearing white in this fixture.

Another hamstring injury. I wonder do the stats back up a perception of more muscular injuries in PL this early in a season compared to previous seasons. Delph, Martial and now Ziyech in 3 games today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eigrod wrote: »
    Another hamstring injury. I wonder do the stats back up a perception of more muscular injuries in PL this early in a season compared to previous seasons. Delph, Martial and now Ziyech in 3 games today.

None of whom have played a huge amount this year so it’s hard to place any kind of pattern with it on previous seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Essien, Makele, Kante, Chelsea always have absolutely awesome midfielders like these lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

CSF wrote: »
    None of whom have played a huge amount this year so it’s hard to place any kind of pattern with it on previous seasons.

2 of the 3 players that got injured to also played midweek with a shorter turnaround after multiple games played previous to today. Same as Milner. Same as Alderweireld. All players playing multiple completions in a shorter time frame and then getting muscle injuries.

There is a trend developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fitz* wrote: »
    2 of the 3 players that got injured to also played midweek with a shorter turnaround after multiple games played previous to today. Same as Milner. Same as Alderweireld. All players playing multiple completions in a shorter time frame and then getting muscle injuries.

There is a trend developing.

It may hit those teams who have not been playing in Europe now over December as they will have a few weeks of playing weekend and mid weeks instead of once a week

It may hit those teams who have not been playing in Europe now over December as they will have a few weeks of playing weekend and mid weeks instead of once a week

Yeah there is a week coming up soon where there are 3 PL games in a week. It will be interesting to see how the teams in the bottom half cope with the 3rd game in that set of fixtures. I think it will be the first time this season for most teams having 3 meaningful fixtures in a week so how will they approach it?

A lot of eyes will be on BT & Des Kelly at roughly 14.30 as Liverpool have been chosen for the early kick off away from home after playing on the Wednesday again. And we all know what happened last time around.

• Advertisement

Identical incident there to the Robertson & Wellbeck one - VAR didn’t even look at it. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

eigrod wrote: »
    Identical inconsistent there to the Robertson & Wellbeck one - VAR didn’t even look at it. Ffs.

Dont think after playing advantage that they would. Was a stonewall penalty if went down like the welbeck Robertson one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Beautifully crafted goal. Attacks at this level are a finely honed machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Even though he's had monstrous backing, credit to Lampard. They are playing pretty fúcking well.

The best things he's been able to do though:

Bring in Mendy to replace Kepa.
    Trust Zouma.
    Ask Kanté to focus on what he does best in protecting the back 4.

Real challengers for the league.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Even though he's had monstrous backing, credit to Lampard. They are playing pretty fúcking well.

The best things he's been able to do though:

Bring in Mendy to replace Kepa.
    Trust Zouma.
    Ask Kanté to focus on what he does best in protecting the back 4.

Real challengers for the league.

And Thiago Silva.

That line call in the united game was a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

In snooker sometimes a player will touch, but not even move a ball while cueing, but he'll always tell the ref and except the consequence. But in football cheating is expected, and whatever you can get away with is applauded by those who benefit.

Ole on touch line saw that ball was 2 foot out of play, but he just kept quiet , cheated knowingly. I know the goal would have stood anyway if he did speak up, but he then could have ordered his team to let West Ham score to balance it out.

I hate cheaters, it's not classy .

Bit much to ask a manager to call it

But the officials contrive to make another mistake that favours utd imo

Chelsea have great options in attack, theyd be dark horses this season i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

In snooker sometimes a player will touch, but not even move a ball while cueing, but he'll always tell the ref and except the consequence. But in football cheating is expected, and whatever you can get away with is applauded by those who benefit.

Ole on touch line saw that ball was 2 foot out of play, but he just kept quiet , cheated knowingly. I know the goal would have stood anyway if he did speak up, but he then could have ordered his team to let West Ham score to balance it out.

lol, good grief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

Chelsea have great options in attack, theyd be dark horses this season i reckon

After spending £0.3Bn the last thing I’d call them is dark horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Man United and Liverpool have each conceded more goals this season than Sheffield United, who are bottom with 1 point

Mad season so far

doc_17 wrote: »
    After spending £0.3Bn the last thing I’d call them is dark horses.

Fair but im not sure anyone had them as challengers, but then its more about lfc/city not firing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

8-10 wrote: »
    Man United and Liverpool have each conceded more goals this season than Sheffield United, who are bottom with 1 point

Mad season so far

At least quote the man's tweet

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1335303431062507524?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Every player claims a throw or corner when they know the ball touched them last. It's coached into them. That's why I have no sympathy for Moyes.

If the ball had stayed in but was very close Moyes would still be jumping around claiming it was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ERG89 wrote: »

In fairness, they let most of them in on the space of about 6 hours.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Ah come on, you're taking the píss surely. Week in week out we see players dive, or get awarded frees or penalties when they shouldn't. Are managers to tell their team to "balance it out" every time now? The ref and assistants are there to enforce the rules, I wouldn't expect any manager to balance anything out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This is it wrote: »
    Ah come on, you're taking the píss surely. Week in week out we see players dive, or get awarded frees or penalties when they shouldn't. Are managers to tell their team to "balance it out" every time now? The ref and assistants are there to enforce the rules, I wouldn't expect any manager to balance anything out

there's an unwritten rule in the Liverpool thread that if you're outraged by a post first check it's not Toby being Toby.
    We can't all be honest angels like Fowler and Di Canio. I didn't see the Manchester United game and from reading the comments assume they were practicing their dark arts.

Didn’t see the incident yet. Why didn’t VAR look at it if it was “2 foot over the line”?

doc_17 wrote: »
    Didn’t see the incident yet. Why didn’t VAR look at it if it was “2 foot over the line”?

According to MotD they don't have the technology to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I haven't seen it yet should the linesman not have seen it?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

He seemed to be looking along the line not at the ball.

I just question that they have the algorithms to tell if a player is 1mm offside from when a ball leaves a passing players foot and can spend minutes drawing lines yet they they couldn’t see a ball nearly a foot over the sideline.

They also didn’t see an Identical tackle in the Chelsea Leeds game to the one in the Brighton Liverpool that was a penalty last week however wasn’t one this week.

There is no consistency to VAR which was brought in to bring consistency.

This clip from MOTD shows the ball was well out.

https://twitter.com/donhutch4/status/1335355101532352512?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

TitianGerm wrote: »

As the ball is kicked you can see him turn and sprint to keep up with the play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Ye moan when we get penos and now we are supposed to do the assistant referees job for him as well. I think Utd should get credit for finding another creative way to annoy certain fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They also didn’t see an Identical tackle in the Chelsea Leeds game to the one in the Brighton Liverpool that was a penalty last week however wasn’t one this week.

There is no consistency to VAR which was brought in to bring consistency.

That because the player stayed on his feet and got a shot away.

Tim Cahill was on MOTD praising the player for being honest and that's the way football should be played.

Complete rubbish, if he went down it was an instant peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭recyclops

This clip from MOTD shows the ball was well out.

https://twitter.com/donhutch4/status/1335355101532352512?s=19

Love how the clip is cut before Gary says "we obviously added the ball in there"

Looking forward to the North London derby today, think that it could be a good game even though Jose and Mikel are very defensive. Think Jose needs to win this type of game against a struggling opponent and of Mikel keeps going like he’s going he will come under even more pressure.

Great finish there by West Brom,

The ball down the right side was very nice

The red card that WBA got is extremely daft IMO. Not a red for me.

• Advertisement

The red card that WBAAg got is extremely daft IMO. Not a red for me.

Agree, I was looking for some sort of kick out and couldn't see anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement