Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Benteke is no longer Bentekkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fitz* wrote: »
    The red card that WBA got is extremely daft IMO. Not a red for me.

Absolute joke of a decision, opposite player falling on him, raised his feet sightly to prevent him falling on him, no kick and no danger to the opponent.

English refereeing is of a shocking standard, and has been for years. VAR, instead of helping make the correct decisions, seems only to emphasise the poor decision making of the referees in the EPL..

Was impressed by WBA in that opening period, passed the ball well and created a few good chances. Palace boring the pants off everyone again, classic Hodgson.

Absolute joke of a decision, opposite player falling on him, raised his feet sightly to prevent him falling on him, no kick and no danger to the opponent.

English refereeing is of a shocking standard, and has been for years. VAR, instead of helping make the correct decisions, seems only to emphasise the poor decision making of the referees in the EPL..

Was impressed by WBA in that opening period, passed the ball well and created a few good chances. Palace boring the pants off everyone again, classic Hodgson.

If anything VAR is exposing how poor the refs are which will only benefit the league going forward if they action it.

The problem with VAR is that it's manned by a human.

They need to rethink how to use in current format, or wait for tech to catch up and make the calls for them, similar to goal line tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

I'd like to think decisions even out over a season, but f*ck me we are being rode today. Referees are so spineless, how is that not a pen for shove on Gallagher before Palace make it 2-1 considering the threshold for a foul these days is breathing on someone? Not good for my health..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Anonymou wrote: »
    I'd like to think decisions even out over a season, but f*ck me we are being rode today. Referees are so spineless, how is that not a pen for shove on Gallagher before Palace make it 2-1 considering the threshold for a foul these days is breathing on someone? Not good for my health..

The sending off was disgraceful,and to make it worse the ref went over to the monitor to see for himself. Yet some posters will be quick to defend Var because technically he got the decision right,some load of ***** alright

The sending off was disgraceful,and to make it worse the ref went over to the monitor to see for himself. Yet some posters will be quick to defend Var because technically he got the decision right,some load of ***** alright

There was no technically right in that decision.

The was no motion to kick out at the player

That's nearly the worst bit, the spiel from commentators etc. where they justify these decisions. This will absolutely sound like chip on the shoulder but no way is that being given for one of big boys, wont get half the attention in game like this. Was a real opportunity for WBA today which is most galling thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet should the linesman not have seen it?

The moment the ball was kicked he had to check across the line for offside. Probably easy to lose the flight of the ball. He's also turning at that moment; whether he should be turning to run in the opposite direction at that moment I'm not too sure.

But I think first the technology should be available to sort out something as simple as that. And secondly the linesman maybe should see offside as a lesser priority to checking whether the ball goes over the line as VAR will take care of offsides, however that instinct must be hard changed.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Anonymou wrote: »
    That's nearly the worst bit, the spiel from commentators etc. where they justify these decisions. This will absolutely sound like chip on the shoulder but no way is that being given for one of big boys, wont get half the attention in game like this. Was a real opportunity for WBA today which is most galling thing

Anthony Martial was sent off against Spurs for a little reaction. Technically a red card too. Don't start the nonsense that it wouldn't happen to higher profile teams. VAR doesn't discriminate when it comes to f**king teams in the a*s.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Anthony Martial was sent off against Spurs for a little reaction. Technically a red card too. Don't start the nonsense that it wouldn't happen to higher profile teams. VAR doesn't discriminate when it comes to f**king teams in the a*s.

Ya you are right, it is just very raw as this game was such an opportunity. Game against United too a few weeks back where pen not given and handball pen given for Utd (which is fair enough but you have to give all handballs then which doesn't happen either). Not a good few weeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The West Brom red was unusual.

Ref saw it and gave a yellow. I thought it looked worse in normal time than in the the slow motion images. Normally it is the other way around and slow motion makes these things look worse leading to the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

kowloonkev wrote: »
    But I think first the technology should be available to sort out something as simple as that.

Is the technology not already available?

Surely the VAR nonsense of drawing a vertical line down from a point on a player, e.g. his sleeve, as picked by the VAR assistant, can also be applied to the ball.

If you can draw a vertical line down to the ground from an armpit I don't see why you cant do it with the ball. Shouldnt need new technology.

I'm just saying this hypothetically in response to your statement. I actually don't agree with it and think we should accept the human error and VAR should be removed completely. Just don't get what the difference is in this example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Benteke is no longer Bentekkers

this aged well, but not as well as...

... this post.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    this aged well, but not as well as...

First brace in 3 years. Think it's aged fine :)

First brace in 3 years. Think it's aged fine :)

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Leicester really struggling against relegation fodder the last few weeks, their season coming off the rails somewhat.

Hard to see anything other than a very leisurely victory for Spurs in the North London Derby, better than Arsenal by every measurable and should be one of the easier home games of their campaign so far. 4-1 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

sitting here waiting on Leicester for the last leg of a bet wondering how on earth somebody spent £25million on Iheanacho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is Ndombele injured?

Can't see past a Spurs win to be honest. Arsenal just aren't that good at the moment. Hopefully I'll get to see some of the game.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is Ndombele injured?

Sick apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Huge for Leicester to dig that out to keep themselves in the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Where does Vardy rank in a list of best ever PL strikers?

Seriously.

He is elite.

Did anyone think he'd miss that once through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Did Vardy get a yellow for breaking the corner flag?

SlickRic wrote: »

Seriously.

He is elite.

Quite far down I would think. Would you have him in top 5-10?

Off the top of my head the likes of:

Shearer
    Rooney
    Kane
    Henry
    RVP
    Suarez
    Drogba

Would all be ahead of him and probably a few more. In this Era though one of the greats

Edit ; Jaysus I even forgot Aguero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Did Vardy get a yellow for breaking the corner flag?

Yep.

Seriously.

He is elite.

Don't think top 10, but top 20 alright.

He is excellent. And it's a neat story too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How long does Arteta have if Arsenal get mullered today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Quite far down I would think. Would you have him in top 5-10?

Off the top of my head the likes of:

Shearer
    Rooney
    Kane
    Henry
    RVP
    Suarez
    Drogba

Would all be ahead of him and probably a few more. In this Era though one of the greats

Edit ; Jaysus I even forgot Aguero

I sort of agree by the way.

My point is he's not far off top 15 at least.

For example, I don't think Drogba automatically beats him. I'd still plump for Didier, but it's not a chasm of difference. The fact he plays for Leicester actually does him a disservice in any debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

300,000 new cases, and 5000 dead in last two week in uk

''' open up the stadium!!!'''

Nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

How long does Arteta have if Arsenal get mullered today.

12/15 years . (Hopefully)

I sort of agree by the way.

My point is he's not far off top 15 at least.

For example, I don't think Drogba automatically beats him. I'd still plump for Didier, but it's not a chasm of difference. The fact he plays for Leicester actually does him a disservice in any debate.

Yeh agree and it will always be hard to judge given the team he plays for. Drogba always just stands out for me as a big dog player. Showed up in so many finals.

Would have him probably 10-20 bracket with some good debates surrounding it. You then have the likes of Torres(at pool, forget Chelsea) Tevez, Ruud, Fowler , Owen etc off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Yeh agree and it will always be hard to judge given the team he plays for. Drogba always just stands out for me as a big dog player. Showed up in so many finals.

Would have him probably 10-20 bracket with some good debates surrounding it. You then have the likes of Torres(at pool, forget Chelsea) Tevez, Ruud, Fowler , Owen etc off the top of my head.

Andy Cole

Goal of the season by Son? What a goal.

Wow Son. What a ****ing goal

• Advertisement

Phenomenal from Sonny. This could be embarrassing for Arsenal. A soft touch at the best of times this last decade but especially under Arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great strike

Keeper in no mans land , way off his line with Song miles out

It was basically an empty net, just curl it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Great hit!

You'd tell him to shoot from that far out as a defender/goalkeeper

• Advertisement

Tyler bigging up Kane for the assist. Ffs. That goal is all on Son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lovely goal but Son had as much time as he wanted. Distinct lack of defence closing down.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Keeper in a poor position, but that was some strike.

Son/Kane going for the record link up play this year I think.

Kane 9 assists 7 of them are probably to Son

Edit: Sky copying me. Looks like it's now 10 assist for Kane

Cant remember 20 mins of a Premier League game where a centre midfield player has had more space than Højbjerg has. The application of effort for players on wages Arsenals are on is nothing short of shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

World class from sonny not Kane best assist but they all help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Willian the signing of the summer after the first game of the season by some and Aubameyang since he signed his Ozil money contract have been hugely disappointing.

Ozil must be wondering why they aren't getting grief for being on huge money and not preforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Assist is such a useless stat
    Like yku could be pinging a ball onto Kane head from 35 yards for a goal or pass it two yardsin your own half to Messi who runs past 7 and scores and its still one assist,

Imagine the amount of assist people have from Messi and Ronaldo from doing a 2 yard pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

TheadoreT wrote: »
    Cant remember 20 mins of a Premier League game where a centre midfield player has had more space than Højbjerg has. The application of effort for players on wages Arsenals are on is nothing short of shameful.

Arenal need a 3rd midfielder in front of Xhaxa & Partey

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement