Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,791 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I was going to highlight to him that I did say 'on points' but then I thought no, let him have his moment.

Tom was a man on a mission tonight, good man Tom!

Drink it in my friend & congratulations :)

Ha! thanks!
    I did enjoy the wind up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

You have to hand it to Liverpool, first team to ever suffer multiple injuries and still win some games. Also first team to ever be top of the league while in second place, amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Time to end this taking the knee it's lost all meaning at this stage and just become part of the pre match routine. I would broadly agree with the Millwall supporters group too that BLM is a political movement and shouldn't be part of football. Time for the PFA to come together and think of some other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

as a general rule of thumb if you're on the side of Millwall fans, you're on the wrong side of the argument

gimli2112 wrote: »
    as a general rule of thumb if you're on the side of Millwall fans, you're on the wrong side of the argument

Ya fair enough I expected that reply. I don't condone the booing obviously but it needs to be scrapped its lost all meaning.

Taking the knee was supposed to be a powerful moment and it was the first 5 times. If football is serious about tackling racism this isn't the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It starting to get into poppy territory now.
    You don't want to take the knee after 4 months of taking the knee? You are obviously a racist-commie-fascist who hates freedom and equality.

At first it was like a minute long now it's about 5 seconds, you can see the players are fed up of it but have to be shown they are doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

It's hardly a big toll on players lives to kneel. Theres merit in keeping the message in peoples minds when the problem is still very much prevalent in society. You'll have a million better causes in life than trying to force an argument against the kneel. Dont be *that* guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

cj maxx wrote: »
    That abhorrence of the villa game is annoying. 7 goals behind 1st because of it:(

Manes goal against Everton is the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If both get injured at the same time it’ll be a problem. One or other gets injured, Spurs will still compete with anyone. But if Salah and Mane get injured together or Sterling and Aguero get injured together, City and Liverpool struggle.

There’s also more chance of Bale starting to fire again than Kane and Son being injured at the same time so if that happens, it’ll be pretty good cover if one does get injured. They key will be maintaining defensive solidity.

Kane could well get a 3 game suspension, if referees ever started to wake up and actually call his actions where he is putting opponents in serious danger. Then again he is England captain so it will continue to get brushed under the carpet and be called 'smart play'.....

Fitz* wrote: »
    Kane could well get a 3 game suspension, if referees ever started to wake up and actually call his actions where he is putting opponents in serious danger. Then again he is England captain so it will continue to get brushed under the carpet and be called 'smart play'.....

That's a bit sour now isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tom1ie wrote: »
    That's a bit sour now isn't it.

What he's doing is dangerous though. He could seriously hurt someone or himself if someone lands funny on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You can always tell when rival fans are getting seriously worried about a challange when they get heavily invested in righteous causes of holding players from the other team to account. Jose has some of yee running scared :pac:

I suppose you'll be finding something wrong or dangerous with the way Son is playing or hojbjerg or ndombele?
    Ya must be getting worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

Great banter. Put whatever spin you want on it, what Kane does, backing into players who are jumping, is incredibly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't support any PL team and I agree that what Kane's doing is completely reckless and refs need to start penalising it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is this the Kane on Gabriel thing where he.literally just stands his ground while Gabriel takes a run from behind and IMO entirely misjudges it

People just being pissy because they still 6 years later think he's overrated imo. He gets kicked up and down the place too like all the best attackers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

tom1ie wrote: »
    I suppose you'll be finding something wrong or dangerous with the way Son is playing or hojbjerg or ndombele?
    Ya must be getting worried!

To be fair what Kane does is very dangerous

I wouldn't be surprised if an opposition manger brings it up , its the only way he'll start getting booked for it,

The one he done against Westham was close to a red card offence for me , he could have easily badly hurt Creswell and he done it on purpose ,

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I don't support any PL team and I agree that what Kane's doing is completely reckless and refs need to start penalising it.

I didn't see Kane doing any of this backing into players yesterday? Maybe I missed it? :confused:

He nearly killed Llalana. I mean he didn't kick a football into his face but it was close.

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »
    Great banter. Put whatever spin you want on it, what Kane does, backing into players who are jumping, is incredibly dangerous.

I’m not putting any spin on anything. It can be dangerous but equally fans can be completely hypocritical trying to hold rival players to a level they wouldn’t hold their own.

Let’s not pretend certain fans of clubs or players haven’t done things in the past that they ignored or excused. It’s like how VAR is great when it goes your teams way but is terrible when it starts benefiting others.

Don’t really care myself what happens to Kane, just very interesting how now that spurs may be able to challenge for the title there’s an awful lot of interest in holding their players to a higher standard.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Is this the Kane on Gabriel thing where he.literally just stands his ground while Gabriel takes a run from behind and IMO entirely misjudges it

People just being pissy because they still 6 years later think he's overrated imo. He gets kicked up and down the place too like all the best attackers

Its not at all, I love Kane as a player but there a clip going around and Kane does it nearly every game
    ,He has a look knows he can't make the header and backs in bent over with his hands out to look innocent sp the defender comes down on top of him and its looks like a free to Kane.

The one he done to Creswell was particularly bad , He got a peno for doing it to Lallana but to be fair Lallana see it coming so raised a knee,

gimli2112 wrote: »
    He nearly killed Llalana. I mean he didn't kick a football into his face but it was close.

:eek: sounds like a complete thug this Kane fella!
    Assault was it?
    maybe you should ring in to Joe and let him know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭This is it

Weepsie wrote: »

Or people think it's genuinely dangerous, which it is. I didn't see the incident at the weekend but he did it a few weeks/months ago and it was shown that it's something Kane does regularly. Whether it's Kane, Salah, or some lad down the local pitch on a Sunday morning, backing into a player going into the air is dangerous.

Kane seemingly does it on purpose with the quick look behind to see where the player is before falling to the ground with contact. Where the other player ends up is luck of the draw and it looks like it'll take a serious injury before anyone does anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kanes backing up trick is a total cúnt of a thing. It does cause his opponent to fall very dangerously.

I dunno what club allegiance has to do with it.

as part of my campaign to suggest everything that is wrong with the world is Jose Mourinho's fault can I ask did Kane do this previously?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kanes backing up trick is a total cúnt of a thing. It does cause his opponent to fall very dangerously.

It's a cowards foul

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m not putting any spin on anything. It can be dangerous but equally fans can be completely hypocritical trying to hold rival players to a level they wouldn’t hold their own.

Let’s not pretend certain fans of clubs or players haven’t done things in the past that they ignored or excused. It’s like how VAR is great when it goes your teams way but is terrible when it starts benefiting others.

Don’t really care myself what happens to Kane, just very interesting how now that spurs may be able to challenge for the title there’s an awful lot of interest in holding their players to a higher standard.

I don't think its the case though,
    When it happened once people kind of laughed and said how did he get away with that, Then it happened again and he got a penalty and people again just kind of laughed it off but he done it again yesterday

Its extremely dangerous and its bizarre the media haven't really picked up on it , Its as bad as someone constantly making high challenges ,

Pickford and Richarlison where both called out for dangerous reckless tackles recently by all fans but both only done it once,
    Kane is doing it every game and getting away with it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you don't think what Kane's doing is dangerous, you're the deluded one. Its a yellow/red card in rugby for god sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It’s like how VAR is great when it goes your teams way but is terrible when it starts benefiting others.

No, it's terrible regardless

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

I suppose it gets tiring watching the narratives in this thread revolve around what suits Liverpool and United fans. Whether it’s VAR, fouls from players , things wrong with the game, they always seem to be more severe when they are affecting these massive clubs.

I’m a United fan and I’m constantly at odds with my own fans for their blinkered sentiments on the club, the owners and players. Thought I’d come to the general forum and share my wisdom with a broader audience. :D

I don't think its the case though,
    When it happened once people kind of laughed and said how did he get away with that, Then it happened again and he got a penalty and people again just kind of laughed it off but he done it again yesterday

Its extremely dangerous and its bizarre the media haven't really picked up on it , Its as bad as someone constantly making high challenges ,

Pickford and Richarlison where both called out for dangerous reckless tackles recently by all fans but both only done it once,
    Kane is doing it every game and getting away with it ,

The media never goes after English players , unless it’s like David Beckham and they cause harm to their own English cause. I don’t remember rival fans minding the witch hunt against Becks that followed him to every ground after the World Cup.

This is not new. Sure rememeber Alan shearer kicked a player in the head in a game and didn’t even get a suspension. It’s wrong but it’s part of the culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

AdamD wrote: »
    If you don't think what Kane's doing is dangerous, you're the deluded one. Its a yellow/red card in rugby for god sake

https://twitter.com/AarxnMCFC/status/1335834625533304833?s=20

hes gonna cause someone a serious injury at some stage, or himself if thy land on him the wrong way and he will only have himself to blame

The media never goes after English players , unless it’s like David Beckham and they cause harm to their own English cause. I don’t remember rival fans minding the witch hunt against Becks that followed him to every ground after the World Cup.

This is not new. Sure rememeber Alan shearer kicked a player in the head in a game and didn’t even get a suspension. It’s wrong but it’s part of the culture.

No doubt that happens sure look at Coady last night his pathetic dive will be glossed over , If that a Salah or some other Johnny foreigner its headline news,

The only difference in this Kane one is that its a constant its not a once off ,

Also if another manger brings it up pre Spurs it'll a wind Jose up so it'll be good entertainment and possible save someone a broken neck ,Win win ,

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AarxnMCFC/status/1335834625533304833?s=20

hes gonna cause someone a serious injury at some stage, or himself if thy land on him the wrong way and he will only have himself to blame

The FA will do what it always does, protect its own , they might have a quiet chat with Kane. Either a foreign player will do it once, get a massive ban and it will stop Or Kane will get somebody injured and will get a suspension that will somehow benefit England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I’m a Spurs fan and I cringe when I see Kane doing that. In the old days it was called “making a back”. If you knew a defender had a run on you and would win a header, you just stepped back a little and ducked instead of jumping, usually swallowed hook line and sinker by refs who must never have stepped onto a football pitch without a whistle. What Kane is doing is multi levels worse, he doesn’t care if he comes in from the side and take legs away. It’s awful to look and and he needs to stop it quick.

On the subject of fouls, and this is not whataboutery, but I thought it was hilarious that Arsenal were clearly told at half time to do a City on it and foul immediately they lost possession. I lost count the number of times they fouled Spurs players around the penalty area the most memorable being Xhaka’s clatter into Son. What was ridiculous about it was Spurs were two up and only delighted to put the ball down, tie shoelaces, spit and then give the ball back to Arsenal to have another go.

Players really are a bit dim, half the fouls were committed when Spurs players were tight on the sideline and under pressure. It just goes to show the effect Spurs breaking game is having on opponents. If Vicinius or Bale can step up when the inevitable Kane / Son injury rolls around, I am beginning to believe they actually have a chance this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

What he's doing is dangerous and I'd much rather he didn't. Once you could maybe call it accidental but that's 2-3 times now. I don't think he's trying to hurt people, he's trying to buy a foul but it's dangerous.

However, he'll never be sent off for it. Kane's clever. If he gets booked, which is the most he'll get, he just won't do it again.

On the topic of Arsenal fouling Spurs and how stupid it was to start when there already two down I didn't notice yesterday but Partey walked off the pitch just before Spur's second goal hence why Arsenal where so out numbered ,

For a lad who's suppose to be this brilliant DM and played at Atletico under emperor of the dark arts Simone how in the world did he not just go down on the pitch so he could stop the game and be replaced, To me that's a sin what he done,

Its Jose all over though, part of his be a basta*d mentality. Watch Reguilón defending corners or free kicks or crosses next game. Literally never attempts to play the ball but rather subtly nudges the player away from attacking it, it's never enough to be deemed a penalty but still highly effective.

If you grind enough of these small barely legal edges it will turn a nearly team into a title team.

• Advertisement

Spurs have a side good enough to win it this year. I wouldn't mind Spurs winning to be honest and I think recent failures will help them but for the love of God please do it in a few years after the Jose meltdown and sacking.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    Its Jose all over though, part of his be a basta*d mentality. Watch Reguilón defending corners or free kicks or crosses next game. Literally never attempts to play the ball but rather subtly nudges the player away from attacking it, it's never enough to be deemed a penalty but still highly effective.

If you grind enough of these small barely legal edges it will turn a nearly team into a title team.

I'd have no issues with them kind of tactics or even the fouls to stop counter attacks they are fine with me and part of football but the Kane one is dangerous and could seriously hurt someone so should be stamped out of the game,

To me there is a big difference between a foul and dangerous play ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

On the topic of Arsenal fouling Spurs and how stupid it was to start when there already two down I didn't notice yesterday but Partey walked off the pitch just before Spur's second goal hence why Arsenal where so out numbered ,

For a lad who's suppose to be this brilliant DM and played at Atletico under emperor of the dark arts Simone how in the world did he not just go down on the pitch so he could stop the game and be replaced, To me that's a sin what he done,

Unless he had a head injury the game would carry on anyway.

I'd have no issues with them kind of tactics or even the fouls to stop counter attacks they are fine with me and part of football but the Kane one is dangerous and could seriously hurt someone so should be stamped out of the game,

Fully agree but he'll keep doing it so long as he gets away with it. Manages to make it look innocent enough until you slow it down and see how intentional it is.

Under Jose Damien Duff made a art form out of the dive that never looked like a dive in real time. He was the worst offender in Prem history. Never got sanctioned for it but won Chelsea an insane amount of dangerous free kicks they benefited from.

Jose is the absolute king of subtle dark arts of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think those tactical fouls should be an immediate yellow card. If you deliberately foul someone with no attempt for the ball = yellow card. None of this totting up rubbish.

At the same time, I think fouls where the player has made a proper attempt for the ball should not be a yellow card. Tackling (legally) is part of the game and giving a yellow card for a genuine attempt to tackle is wrong and discourages a fundemental part of the game, imo.

As for Kane - as you say, very different from a tactical foul in that it is both deliberate but also extremely dangerous. No different from a two footer for example. Should be treated as serious foul play.

I think those tactical fouls should be an immediate yellow card. If you deliberately foul someone with no attempt for the ball = yellow card. None of this totting up rubbish.

At the same time, I think fouls where the player has made a proper attempt for the ball should not be a yellow card. Tackling (legally) is part of the game and giving a yellow card for a genuine attempt to tackle is wrong and discourages a fundemental part of the game, imo.

As for Kane - as you say, very different from a tactical foul in that it is both deliberate but also extremely dangerous. No different from a two footer for example. Should be treated as serious foul play.

A foul where you don't try to get the ball is already a yellow card ?

A lot of them fouls are made to look like genuine attempts to get the ball ,
    Bobby Firmino does it about 5 times a game and its near impossible to tell if he's done it on purpose or tried to get the ball and he never gets booked

Tackling is part of the game but if you are going to get the ball but get it so wrong you deserve to get booked ?

I agree with you on the Kane one,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its just complete dumb luck that Kane hasnt caused an injury yet.

Unless he had a head injury the game would carry on anyway.

Yes but if he had of stayed on the game maybe one of the the passes is not made or even delayed , Spurs players didn't know he was hurt ,

In my opinion its a sin to just walk off when the situation was unfolding especially when your part of a the defensive unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A foul where you don't try to get the ball is already a yellow card ?

They are not though.

Look at Arsenal yesterday or City in any match at all - as soon as the opposition look to break a City player will pull them back and concede a foul - generally in the opposition half. they aren't dangerous fouls - but they are done deliberately to stop the opposition from breaking, with no attempt for the ball. City players regurlarly get away with these fouls (in terms of not getting a yellow card). Barca and Bayern were the same under Pep. Because he commits so much of his team to attack they can be vunerable to counters and whether he admits it or not he must instruct his teams to commit these fouls to protect the defence.

United players are obviously guilt too - as every team is. How often do you see players being dragged out of from behind without a yellow card being given?

They are not though.

Look at Arsenal yesterday or City in any match at all - as soon as the opposition look to break a City player will pull them back and concede a foul - generally in the opposition half. they aren't dangerous fouls - but they are done deliberately to stop the opposition from breaking, with no attempt for the ball. City players regurlarly get away with these fouls (in terms of not getting a yellow card). Barca and Bayern were the same under Pep. Because he commits so much of his team to attack they can be vunerable to counters and whether he admits it or not he must instruct his teams to commit these fouls to protect the defence.

United players are obviously guilt too - as every team is. How often do you see players being dragged out of from behind without a yellow card being given?

By the letter of the law they are a yellow card offence, a deliberate foul is a yellow card,

Oh he 100% instructs them , wasn't there a part of the City Amazon thing where with City players being told to make sure they do it against Liverpool , technically it was Arteta reminding them he said "make sure you make fouls in there transitions "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

11 goals in 11 games where Kane and Son are both the scorer and provider. Does anyone know the season record? They must be very close already. I remember seeing a flash of the all time record but not for a single season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement