Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can people please quote properly. It's not that hard lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,890 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If I was picking a combined team it'd be

De Gea
    AWB, Toby, McGuire, Regilion
    Ndombele, Fernandez, Le Celso
    Son, Kane, Rashford

The only problem there is the team would be over run in midfield so to add a bit of balance I'd drop Le Celso out and add Hoijberg in.

Ya see the mistake you made there was putting McGuire in. He’s awful.

I’ll have loris in, instead of de gea.

Rashford stays in until bale hits form :D

I would be doing the exact same thing that you are doing here but flipped for the United squad. Plonk Eric Dier into the current United defence instead of Maguire and I dont think that he performs as well as he is in the Spurs system. It's horses for courses.

I wouldnt change DDG for Lloris, Alderweireld for Lindelof, Aurier for AWB, even Hojberg or Sissokho for Fred/VDB/McTominay right now. Reguilon for Shaw, sure. But Telles has looked good and I'm not overly unhappy with United left side. Rashford and Son, I personally wouldn't want to lose Rashford as I think hes that good even though I super rate Son. It's all far closer than peiple are making out and most of the positions are just toss ups. Spurs have a clearer system and gameplan currently though, which is helping the Spurs players cause.

So only reggie gets into the united team for you yeah? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That's a fair team ,

I would say there is absolutely nothing between Hoijberg, Ndombele, Le Celso or Fred, McTominay , Pogba ,Matic

Aww come on now ! :eek:

Hojbjerg and NDombele are better than all of those 3 !
    And i wouldnt pick either Pogba or Lo Celso...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I would be doing the exact same thing that you are doing here but flipped for the United squad. Plonk Eric Dier into the current United defence instead of Maguire and I dont think that he performs as well as he is in the Spurs system. It's horses for courses.

I wouldnt change DDG for Lloris, Alderweireld for Lindelof, Aurier for AWB, even Hojberg or Sissokho for Fred/VDB/McTominay right now. Reguilon for Shaw, sure. But Telles has looked good and I'm not overly unhappy with United left side. Rashford and Son, I personally wouldn't want to lose Rashford as I think hes that good even though I super rate Son. It's all far closer than peiple are making out and most of the positions are just toss ups. Spurs have a clearer system and gameplan currently though, which is helping the Spurs players cause.

So its all down to Mourinho ?

Even though 90% of that team got to a Champs Lge final with Poch ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

greenspurs wrote: »

Would that be the same 90% that were utterly septic and got Poch sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

And then looked like ****e under Poch. And came 7th last year, got punped in the round of 16 by Leipzig and had lost 5 games out of 6 before lockdown when their best player was injured. Basically, to go back to my original point, all of this is based on Spurs performing well right now. Mourinho has Spurs performing well at this very moment, and yet United are only 5 points behind them with a game in hand. They came above Spurs last year. There is not a million miles between these squads or first XIs.

That's a fair team ,

I would say there is absolutely nothing between Hoijberg, Ndombele, Le Celso or Fred, McTominay , Pogba ,Matic

Ah here. I got a yellow card for less trolling than this! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Aww come on now ! :eek:

Hojbjerg and NDombele are better than all of those 3 !
    And i wouldnt pick either Pogba or Lo Celso...

Hojberg possibly the best of them again hard to tell if he's good or suits the system but ye he could be the best of the bunch , to be fair don't see much difference between him and McTominay ,Hojberg just more experienced but McTom has more legs

NDombele was an absolute disgrace last season , so 10 decent games ( nothing special) isn't going to make me think he's great all of a sudden he has along way to go , Sure you wouldn't have eve noticed he didn't play the weekend ,

Jose comments on NDombele the weekend where interesting , he said it was NDombele decision not to play , that is not something Jose said by mistake he is using them words for a reason ,

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Would that be the same 90% that were utterly septic and got Poch sacked?

So they are rubbish , and Jose is a genius ?

:rolleyes:

And then looked like ****e under Poch. And came 7th last year, got punped in the round of 16 by Leipzig and had lost 5 games out of 6 before lockdown when their best player was injured. Basically, to go back to my original point, all of this is based on Spurs performing well right now. Mourinho has Spurs performing well at this very moment, and yet United are only 5 points behind them with a game in hand. They came above Spurs last year. There is not a million miles between these squads or first XIs.

So its all down to Jose ?

The team is "Sh1te" ?? :confused:

Loris ,Toby, Sissoko ,Son , Kane the only players who started the champions league final and last weekend ,

Rose , Vertonghem , Tripper , Erikson all have left , The you have Winks and Ali don't get much of a look in

tom1ie wrote: »
    So only reggie gets into the united team for you yeah? :eek:

No, because it isnt that simple. I think that Son and Rashford are close to interchangeable but I love Rashford so I'm sticking with him. What I'm saying is that plonking individual Spurs player into this United side across the board doesnt make sense. And that United also have a heap of quality players who are being reduced to cloggers in here

Loris ,Toby, Sissoko ,Son , Kane the only players who started the champions league final and last weekend ,

Rose , Vertonghem , Tripper , Erikson all have left , The you have Winks and Ali don't get much of a look in

Not sure what your getting at here?
    Who cares if it’s down to Jose or the players, they are a team!
    It’s both working together!
    It’s clear enough that the current Spurs team is in fact better than the current united team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Ye some people find it impossible to be objective ,Sure when the team of the season rolled around last summer some United fans had AWB in ahead of Trent like that head In the sand stuff

For the record I truly believe De Gea ,Maguire, Lindelöf ,Bruno Rashford are all get into the Spurs team as they are better players than there counter parts ,

:pac: :O

My combined Spurs-United XI;

Lloris
    Aurier
    Anderweireld
    Dier
    Reguilon
    Sissoko
    Hojbjerg
    Ndombele
    Bergwijn
    Son
    Kane

On any given day you could have Lo Celso, Bale, Rodon, Tanganga, etc... in there too.

I'm going to give a notable mention to Bruno Fernandes as I don't want to come across as biased towards Spurs.

• Advertisement

So its all down to Jose ?

The team is "Sh1te" ?? :confused:

if this is your level of discussion and wilfully misunderstanding clearly laid out points, then we should really leave it there right?

No, because it isnt that simple. I think that Son and Rashford are close to interchangeable but I love Rashford so I'm sticking with him. What I'm saying is that plonking individual Spurs player into this United side across the board doesnt make sense. And that United also have a heap of quality players who are being reduced to cloggers in here

You mean plonking united players into the Spurs team ;)
    Of which it’s really only two at a push. AWB and Fernandez.
    Arguing that rashford is anywhere near the quality of son is just plain nuts tbh.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    :pac: :O

My combined Spurs-United XI;

Lloris
    Aurier
    Anderweireld
    Dier
    Reguilon
    Sissoko
    Hojbjerg
    Ndombele
    Bergwijn
    Son
    Kane

On any given day you could have Lo Celso, Bale, Rodon, Tanganga, etc... in there too.

I'm going to give a notable mention to Bruno Fernandes as I don't want to come across as biased towards Spurs.

Lol!
    I’ll go with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's really more PL than CL but I'd forgotten Utd can get knocked out tonight. Surely Ole can't survive if they go out at this stage? Fans will go cracked if it's allowed to continue.
    I imagine plenty of Liverpool fans will want the manager to stay on. Not me. My biggest fear is meeting Utd in the knockout stages. Worse than spiders.

if this is your level of discussion and wilfully misunderstanding clearly laid out points, then we should really leave it there right?

You said it .... about Pochs team ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Lol!
    I’ll go with that!

Thank you, Tom.

You mean plonking united players into the Spurs team ;)
    Of which it’s really only two at a push. AWB and Fernandez.
    Arguing that rashford is anywhere near the quality of son is just plain nuts tbh.

Look, you're right. Come end of season, this clearly better Spurs team and squad should be miles above United. Like they were last season.

It’s clear enough that the current Spurs team is in fact better than the current united team.

Someone posted and said Ole would be over achieving to make top four,
    I argued that he SHOULD be making top 4 and should be fired if he does not get there ,
    To make my point I compared the players at Spurs and United and there is nothing between the actually ability of the players, The difference is the mangers and how they have there sides playing,

Why bring up the CL final Spurs when tryna discuss the current Spurs team?

Look, you're right. Come end of season, this clearly better Spurs team and squad should be miles above United. Like they were last season.

Have to correct you there you finished 3rd we finished 6th, but 2018/2019 we finished 4th you finished 6th and 2016/2017 you finished 6th we finished 2nd.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Why bring up the CL final Spurs when tryna discuss the current Spurs team?
    I didn’t?

I argued that he SHOULD be making top 4 and should be fired if he does not get there ,
    To make my point I compared the players at Spurs and United and there is nothing between the actually ability of the players, The difference is the mangers and how they have there sides playing,

I see where your coming from, but I’d respectfully disagree and say Spurs in the majority have better players.
    But yeah a new manager for united might improve your fortunes. Could make it worse though.

I didn’t?

Apologies confused you and Greenspurs :pac:

Again I didn’t bring up the Spurs CL final team?

No bother!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

nothing like a combined 11 to start an argument :pac:

Sadly united used to be in combined 11's v Liverpool and City, now slipped to being compared against Spurs :(

• Advertisement

I see where your coming from, but I’d respectfully disagree and say Spurs in the majority have better players.
    But yeah a new manager for united might improve your fortunes. Could make it worse though.

I'm not a United fan nor a Spurs fan :D

I agree with this btw. If Ole doesn't get top 4 with this group then he should be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

United must have the most overrated bunch of players in football, year after year they fail to perform and yet still you have people who think they are quality.

Rashford for example, he has talent but there have been a hell of a lot of games where he has been utter dirt for United, and yet seemingly he is just as good as Son is?

Pogba, Martial, Maguire, doesn't seem to matter how long they underperform for, there will still be people who think they are world class and about to come good.

Doesn't consistent performance matter any more?

United must have the most overrated bunch of players in football, year after year they fail to perform and yet still you have people who think they are quality.

Rashford for example, he has talent but there have been a hell of a lot of games where he has been utter dirt for United, and yet seemingly he is just as good as Son is?

Pogba, Martial, Maguire, doesn't seem to matter how long they underperform for, there will still be people who think they are world class and about to come good.

If you take in the current points total and last two season's , consistently Spurs & United are the same ,

Spurs 154 points
    United 151 points with a game in hand ,

So the point we made is actually bang on there is not much at all between the United and Spurs squad wise

Take Son and Rashford over the last two season's Son has 21 Prem goals Rashford 20 , very similar

take into account Son is 28 (prime) and Rashford is only 22

Rashford and Son are performing at very similar levels over the last couple of years. I know this may shock some people, but Son has the odd bad game and even a barren spell for goals and the likes. Mad I know.

Rashford has been pretty consistent for the last 18 months and is a huge part of anything good that United does.

Pogba and Martial arent being mentioned here, I agree with your assessment. Maguire has his issues, but he is being mentioned in the context of Eric Dier, who also has issues of his own.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Have to correct you there you finished 3rd we finished 6th, but 2018/2019 we finished 4th you finished 6th and 2016/2017 you finished 6th we finished 2nd.
    Why have you omitted 2017/18 when Utd finished 2nd and Spurs 3rd?

Rashford and Son are performing at very similar levels over the last couple of years. I know this may shock some people, but Son has the odd bad game and even a barren spell for goals and the likes. Mad I know.

Rashford has been pretty consistent for the last 18 months and is a huge part of anything good that United does.

Pogba and Martial arent being mentioned here, I agree with your assessment. Maguire has his issues, but he is being mentioned in the context of Eric Dier, who also has issues of his own.

Spot on there Rashford is still only 22 which many forget ,

Maguire was not worth the fee but he is a better CB back Dier I think its crazy to suggest other wise,

Spurs current style is in place to protect there two CB's , Maguire would look sensational if asked to play in the same role Dier is

And this is coming from a Liverpool fan ,

Why have you omitted 2017/18 when Utd finished 2nd and Spurs 3rd?

Cause it suits my narrative!

Internet Arguing 101

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

at least youre honest about it hahaha :pac:

plenty wouldnt be ha

i think last nights display shows up the argument that Maguire is a defender....

Shocking again.

in fairness he is a defender, just not an £80M one

i think last nights display shows up the argument that Maguire is a defender....

Shocking again.

AWB wasn’t great either and rashford couldn’t finish his dinner, but somehow still gets compared to son? Baffling.

AWB wasn’t great either and rashford couldn’t finish his dinner, but somehow still gets compared to son? Baffling.

Hard to choose between them apparently ? :D

...anyway .

Hard to choose between them apparently ? :D

...anyway .

Obviously on current form Son is better but he is 28 and Rashford is 22,

Take the last 2 Prem season's and the games in this one so far and Son has 33 & Rashford has 30 goals ,

Not much difference

Remember one is in his prime & one is not ,

• Advertisement

Obviously on current form Son is better but he is 28 and Rashford is 22,

Take the last 2 Prem season's and the games in this one so far and Son has 33 & Rashford has 30 goals ,

Not much difference

Remember one is in his prime & one is not ,

So because rashford is younger he is to be given some sort of allowance as he has potential to fulfill, whereas son is performing to his full potential when he is in his prime, therefore that means the two players are similar?
    Is that what your saying?

So is rashford as good as Kane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So because rashford is younger he is to be given some sort of allowance as he has potential to fulfill, whereas son is performing to his full potential when he is in his prime, therefore that means the two players are similar?

Rashford is better than Kane was at the age Rashford is now.

The same goes for Son.

If Rashford progresses at the same rate as both Kane and Son, then he will be a better player than both.

That's obviously a big IF though.

Wasn't it Greenwood that was being compared to Kane in here? Not sure Rashford was.

Anyway, neither currently are. Rashford probably never will be. Greenwood too young to predict I'd imagine.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Rashford is better than Kane was at the age Rashford is now.

The same goes for Son.

If Rashford progresses at the same rate as both Kane and Son, then he will be a better player than both.

That's obviously a big IF though.

When Kane was 23 he was scoring 25+ league goals.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

6 wrote: »
    When Kane was 23 he was scoring 25+ league goals.....

Kane is a central striker. Rashford isn't. What are they even being compared?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement