Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

eigrod wrote: »
    Having seen that pic of Grealish, the only feeling I have against him this morning is jealousy ��

The photo doing the rounds?

I would not be jealous, in fact she kinda seems...ordinary. Which in a strange way makes me think fair play to him, you see so many footballers with bottle blondes with ridiculous lips and chests tottering around on twig like legs. It's almost good PR...except for the lockdown issue, if he broke lockdown rules he has to get some sanction because it threatens other players, games etc.

Grealish is now a meme favourite on Twitter!

I don't think that Grealish has the attitude to go to the very top and stay there consistently for a few years. Pity, as he has talent.

Edit, didn't realise he was already 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

DVDM93 wrote: »
    First of all, well done Jose Mourinho, hard to argue with a manager who went the month unbeaten (3 wins & 1 draw)

However, I'd have given it to Ole Gunnar Solskjær.

Lost only to Arsenal & that was by virtue of a penalty which was Pogba's fault, there's nothing OGS could have done about that, you cant manage common sense.

Wins then against Everton, West Brom & that amazing comeback against Southampton with Edison Cavani AKA reborn when PSG thought him to be surplus to requirements & Thomas Tuchel perhaps though beyond his capabilities as a manager. Not beyond Ole's however.

Last but not least he managed one of his players to the POTM award, Bruno Fernandes.

Can we start giving this man the credit he deserves please?

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1337366524906987520?s=20

Well done Mourinho, thoroughly deserved!
    Absolute travesty Son didn't get the POTM award, what with son having a goals per game ratio of 0.91.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

First of all, well done Jose Mourinho, hard to argue with a manager who went the month unbeaten (3 wins & 1 draw)

However, I'd have given it to Ole Gunnar Solskjær.

Lost only to Arsenal & that was by virtue of a penalty which was Pogba's fault, there's nothing OGS could have done about that, you cant manage common sense.

Wins then against Everton, West Brom & that amazing comeback against Southampton with Edison Cavani AKA reborn when PSG thought him to be surplus to requirements & Thomas Tuchel perhaps though beyond his capabilities as a manager. Not beyond Ole's however.

Last but not least he managed one of his players to the POTM award, Bruno Fernandes.

Can we start giving this man the credit he deserves please?

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1337366524906987520?s=20

You want the manager to be absolved when his players make mistakes, the Pogba incident, but you want the manager taking the credit when a player he managers with POTM

Where's the consistency in standards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Esse85 wrote: »
    You want the manager to be absolved when his players make mistakes, the Pogba incident, but you want the manager taking the credit when a player he managers with POTM

Your first mistake was taking the post seriously

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Esse85 wrote: »

Hi @Esse85,

Yes & I implore you to see reason.

Bruno was awarded for a high level of consistent performance across a period of 1 month/4 games under the guidance of OGS who I feel is largely responsible for this.

Pogba's was was a one off silly moment in a game which came as the result of a rush of blood to the head as he said so himself when he even went as far as apologising for it.

I won't lambast Ole for that just like I won't be giving him credit for Pogba's amazing goal against West Ham.

I judge on consistencies, not rarities.

Anyway, more importantly, going by shano's post & the reaction it's gotten, obviusly my posts regarding OGS aren't being taken seriously. Although I am genuine in my beliefs I appreciate how it looks in that I'm a Liverpool supporter & that the general mood across the forum is that most rival fans are PRO-OGS where as most United supporters are ANTI-OGS. So that's going to be the end of it.

I'd like to apologise to everyone in this thread if I've disrupted it in any way, especially to any United fans as I appreciate it's a sensitive topic & even more so any moderators I may have caused unnecessary hassle to, for that was not my intention.

All I ask is that if OGS comes good that I'll be remembered as one of his believers.

Thank you.

DVDM93.

P. S. Leeds are playing West Ham tonight at 8PM on the off chance that anyone has forgotten that there's Friday night football tonight, I'm looking forward to it & hopefully we can all enjoy it together!

I really do enjoy the formal posting style DVD, I feel like I'm working at boards reading it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Leeds miss a penalty. Absolutely woeful penalty. If Fabianski dived the wrong way he’d have had time to go back amd still save it,

VAR orders a retake - wasn’t much in that off the line. 1-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leeds miss a penalty. Absolutely woeful penalty. If Fabianski dived the wrong way he’d have had time to go back amd still save it,

Terrible first penalty, thought a retake would happen with the west ham player an absolute mile into the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Gorgeous movement from Paddy bamford to win the peno

Jaysus, that’s a serious loss and there’s at least another 6 months of Covid impact to follow these accounts. New stadium must be in serious doubt.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1337472289047252994?s=21

A lot of clubs will have a similar story I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

If Fabianski's movement was considered excessive, then they may as well start awarding penalty goals similar to penalty try's in rugby.... no point having goalkeepers at all.

He looked about an inch of his line. Yes, technically off his line, but I've seen keepers stand a foot behind their line as they anticipate jumping forward (natural motion), only for the ref to tell them to stand on the line.

What's gone wrong with football in 2020? Jesus Christ.

That, tonight, is considered coming off your line?
    Bamford considered offside a couple of weeks ago for pointing?
    Whack a ball off a defender's hand from a foot away and it's a penalty?
    Taking minutes to still make the wrong decision, as opposed to the old way of making a wrong decision instantaneously and everyone just getting on with it?

It's absolutely sh!t, to be honest. I'm in my 40's and getting seriously disillusioned with all this.

The level of annoyance football is bringing into my life is just not worth it... and I say this as a Liverpool fan so things should be rosy. But it's not, modern bullsh!t is just absolutely wrecking the game. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I mean I guess it's good that it's at least being talked about but jesus christ the way the media approaches this shíte when it comes to English players is astounding. Asking if something that is both dangerous and explicitly against the rules is just "part of football" :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1337723268887883777?s=20

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I felt the one last week was nothing. Kane turned, looked and took a step. Eyes fixed on the ball. Gabriel was running but hadn't jumped. if a defender wants to make a runnkng jump at a player who is standing still they have to be 100% sure of their own safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Weepsie wrote: »
    I felt the one last week was nothing. Kane turned, looked and took a step. Eyes fixed on the ball. Gabriel was running but hadn't jumped. if a defender wants to make a runnkng jump at a player who is standing still they have to be 100% sure of their own safety.

Ahh ffs

If Kane's carry on is constantly rewarded then it's essentially advocating the removal of the headed dual.

Kane is the problem here, make no mistake. Every other player would attempt to contest for the ball with a jumping header. Kane, instead of making an honest jump for the ball, would rather not challenge for it but instead attempt to win a foul while risking serious injury to his opponent.

It's a citation in rugby.

radiata wrote: »
    Ahh ffs

Good input

. But if a player can't just stand firm, while a player runs and jumps into them, I think the player coming from behind needs to sometimes be accountable for their own risk taking.

There isn't an attacker who doesn't back onto opponents and it should be called what out and penalised but a load is being made of last week by whiney arsenal fans who used to take pride in parlour, vista, keowns et al unique sh!thousery but cry foul if opponents so much as look at their players funny.

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If Kane's carry on is constantly rewarded then it's essentially advocating the removal of the headed dual.

Kane is the problem here, make no mistake. Every other player would attempt to contest for the ball with a jumping header. Kane, instead of making an honest jump for the ball, would rather not challenge for it but instead attempt to win a foul while risking serious injury to his opponent.

In rugby you're normally facing the opponent so you can see exactly what's going on. Kane doesn't know that Gabriel isn't going to just steam through him as some defenders would.

He's perfectly entitled to let the ball drop to him.

You can't compare the 2

Villa committing a lot of fouls here. Very messy game.

In rugby you're normally facing the opponent so you can see exactly what's going on. Kane doesn't know that Gabriel isn't going to just steam through him as some defenders would.

He's perfectly entitled to let the ball drop to him.

You can't compare the 2

He doesn't just stand still and let the ball drop to him - he has a look at what the other player is doing and as soon as the player leaves the ground for the header, Kane then stoops forward/changes his position which immediately knocks the player off balance while in the air. Incredibly dangerous. If he just stands his ground, fine, but he doesn't. If he's allowed to continue doing it, he will dislocate someone's shoulder, or worse, break their neck.

He doesn't just stand still and let the ball drop to him - he has a look at what the other player is doing and as soon as the player leaves the ground for the header, Kane then stoops forward/changes his position which immediately knocks the player off balance while in the air. Incredibly dangerous. If he just stands his ground, fine, but he doesn't. If he's allowed to continue doing it, he will dislocate someone's shoulder, or worse, break their neck.

I've seen it. He doesn't stoop. He stands his ground. His body shape hardly changes at all. Gabriel waits til he's right on top of Kane to jump.

I'm not saying there haven't been instance sof him doing it, I think something is been made of nothing on last week's and Gabriel has to take the responsibility for his own safety there. He jumps very late, and it happens so fast that to claim it's anything malicious is just tibal bs

People are imagining it happening in a way that suits their own narrative

I haven't seen Kane tackle, grab or pull a player whose feet are off the ground.

If he jumps and Gabriel doesn't, he'll probably be land on him and do some other type of crime that people would be outraged with. Not everything is a foul, or malicious.

Good to see Kane is being called out on this. Dangerous play. Cowardly too. Could result in a bad injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

6 wrote: »
    Good to see Kane is being called out on this. Dangerous play. Cowardly too. Could result in a bad injury.

Really? Who by?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

People are imagining it happening in a way that suits their own narrative

I'd say folk, myself included, are hesitant to give Kane the benefit of the doubt in the Gabriel incident due to previous examples of him doing the exact same thing.

Probably should said whiney Liverpool fans too back there as well as arsenal, as it seems to be slot of them with the chip on the shoulder about Kane suddenly.

Yet they loved Suarez committment, and Gerrard's love of leading with his forearm, like United fans loved cantona and Keane's ****housery.

Look closer to home before going ape**** over nothing

• Advertisement

Liamalone wrote: »
    I'd say folk, myself included, are hesitant to give Kane the benefit of the doubt in the Gabriel incident due to previous examples of him doing the exact same thing.

Theres not a striker who hasn't done it though I'd wager. It happens every game. It's often very innocuous, but we also so the Ramos of the world jumping with their knee leading and go unpunished.

Probably should said whiney Liverpool fans too back there as well as arsenal, as it seems to be slot of them with the chip on the shoulder about Kane suddenly.

Yet they loved Suarez committment, and Gerrard's love of leading with his forearm, like United fans loved cantona and Keane's ****housery.

Look closer to home before going ape**** over nothing

Tilt intensifies

Tilt intensifies

Yes, I'm falling into the tribal trap myself (not a spurs fan for the record) and was one of those Kane non believers thinking it would never last, but it's true.

We all overlook the criminal and dangerous play of our own players when it suits it and completely froth at the mouth at what are often inoccuous incidents depending on the team and player.

For an Irish man utd fan, John Terry doing anything would obviously results on volcanic rage, and it seems Kane , Stirling and Grealish attract the same opinion.

Whatever if its Ander Herrera, Lee Cattermole type who take fouling as a badge of pride but if this were a Burnley or Brighton player who didn't any threat, people would have forgotten it in days

Whatever if its Ander Herrera, Lee Cattermole type who take fouling as a badge of pride but if this were a Burnley or Brighton player who didn't any threat, people would have forgotten it in days

If it were a Burnley or Brighton player they probably wouldn't be getting rewarded with penalties for doing it, so there would be nothing to be annoyed about in the first place.

Liamalone wrote: »

Exactly. There's multiple examples of him doing it. Quite a few Spurs fans on here even said it's dangerous play.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Maybe the games later will be better but asking people to watch Newcastle vs West Brom after a poor match between Wolves & Villa is like volunteering for torture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Can anyone link the Gabriel incident? Can't seem to find it on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Was it that dirty?

EpCzYHCU0AIV9AW?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Awful start for west Brom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

RasTa wrote: »
    Was it that dirty?

EpCzYHCU0AIV9AW?format=jpg&name=medium

Mike Dean.

No real bad tackles in the game.

Didn't see any of the others but Moutinho picked up his second yellow for this.....

GYIm5W1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Didn't see any of the others but Moutinho picked up his second yellow for this.....

Farcical decision.
    Suits are destroying the beautiful game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Cresswell, Fernandinho, Gabriel & Lallana can count themselves lucky I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,920 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Ole putting his job in the hands of Pogba by starting him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Pogba is going to get another manager sacked...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

GYIm5W1.gif

I've said it for years, the officiating in the EPL is shockingly bad. None of the top referees in Europe are English. Even allowing for players cheating and diving, the standard in the CL is way better, not perfect, but still better.
    It's been allowed to deteriorate over many years for some reason, and Dean is the personification of it in many ways, along with Mr Coomes, who is completely incompetent.

Cresswell, Fernandinho, Gabriel & Lallana can count themselves lucky I think.

As can Harry Kane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pure banter club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Looking like Utd trying to do what they did v Chelsea. Only difference is that Man City won’t try and do what Chelsea did.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement