Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Had that free went in Bilic would have made for Gundogan. Still around 10 minutes left but City despite having all the ball aren't making enough chances.

They dont deserve to win this.

4th official should have used that board over peps head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pep's freakin' out altogether. Thought he was gonna get himself sent off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

West Brom asking to concede here how they're playing.

Austin bursts his hole to get the ball up the field, holds it up and lays it back to keep possession only for the ball to be launched over his head under no pressure. Awful game management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Keeper thought that was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pep should have been sent off.

• Advertisement

Two amazing saves from the WBA keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That’s a horrible foul by Ake there. Pure cynical.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    It’s nonsense to make definitive declarations based on hypothetical situations. Could they be 8 points clear? Possibly but unlikely. Could they be ahead? Very possibly. Could they be in a similar or worse position? Also possible.

Ok... but nobody made any definitive declarations on it at all. The absolute closest I've seen was someone saying "probably". So that seems like a different conversation that what's actually been taking place here.

And even in that case the 'probably' was just after the mention of 8 points between the difference in France last year at this point... it was a pretty clear throwaway non-definitive comment that was part of a conversational context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Nice dive from Sterling for the fk that Gundogan nearly scored.

5 points separating the top 10 with a third of the season gone.

Wide open league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great battling performance by WBA. Big 2 points dropped by City.

Happy to see City drop more points - mangles my Fantasy Football for the week though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That’s a horrible foul by Ake there. Pure cynical.

Love how Gallagher started sprinting to corner into space but player fouled just flings ball away. Something may have come from it, city were very exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Pep's freakin' out altogether. Thought he was gonna get himself sent off there.

He was like a lad who fell asleep at half time and only got woken up in injury time. They only started playing in the 90th minute and created 3 chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'm enjoying the madness of this season. A team might not even need 80 points to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well today's results were enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How did Guardiola not even get booked near the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

City haven't beaten a side above 10th place this season, and they've had 5 attempts at doing so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

5 points separating the top 10 with a third of the season gone.

Wide open league this season.
    And 6 points separating the bottom 2.
    Has there ever been a case of second season syndrome as bad as Sheffield United so far this season?

City haven't beaten a side above 10th place this season, and they've had 5 attempts at doing so.

Their away form has been poor for a while, but to be dropping points at home like today this season is mad. That's 7 points dropped at home now already after 6 home games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

This season really does look like it's a league of attrition.

Who can stay the longest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mushy wrote: »
    4th official should have used that board over peps head

Trying to imagine that happening.

q0dgp1qhs9a01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

tom1ie wrote: »
    Injuries are part and parcel of football, the same way crazy var decisions are now part and parcel.
    Saying such a team would be a couple of points clear if it wasn’t for this injury or that var decision is a nonsense at this stage.
    You just have to cope with it.
    Yes I’m aware a couple of posts back I posted about the var decision vs spurs in that Newcastle game, but that was more to highlight the silliness of pointing to these things.

Oh I'm not saying they deserve to be - I'm saying they would be.

Fair point though, I don't know if Spurs have had any fortunate/unfortunate VAR descisions that have directly effected their total.

There's no doubting that Liverpool have had more sevear injury problems than anyone else though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

And 6 points separating the bottom 2.
    Has there ever been a case of second season syndrome as bad as Sheffield United so far this season?
    Leeds didn't win an away game the season after winning the league, Leicester were nearly relegated the season after they won it! I know both not "Second season" but still a big drop. Didn't Ipswich qualify for Europe and drop the season after?

Chelsea havent won against a top half team, Spurs haven't won a game without Kane or Son scoring, and Liverpool haven't won away since Thiago's debut

Mad season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Wolves get a penalty that then gets overturned because the ref watched the replay and saw the player diving....but then didn't book the diver. That's 2 games in 9 days where Wolves have had that happen, and because the ref isn't booking them they have absolutely no reason to stop trying.

Can the ref do anything there? He is checking if it's a penalty only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

JPA wrote:
    Can the ref do anything there? He is checking if it's a penalty only.
    Yeah as far as I'm aware he can only issue or remove a red card using VAR, he can't take away or issue a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah as far as I'm aware he can only issue or remove a red card using VAR, he can't take away or issue a yellow.

That needs to be changed.

Can he downgrade something from a red to a yellow?

Can he downgrade something from a red to a yellow?
    No red to no card or no card to red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Talksport saying Bilic is gone tomorrow and Allardyce getting the job.

Sick enough for a team that’s performing about as well as expected and have a garbage squad.

I thought Big Sam would be holding out for the Arsenal gig as they were talking about him getting it on Talksport today as well.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No red to no card or no card to red.

Red to yellow.

If he decides a foul wasn't as bad as he first thought, but still warrants a warning.

I thought Big Sam would be holding out for the Arsenal gig as they were talking about him getting it on Talksport today as well.

Big Sam is the new Curbishley. Any job that's going his name is in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

"...sacking Bilic now would be their best hope of surviving in the Premier League, with Sam Allardyce on the shortlist to replace him which also includes Eddie Howe and Mark Hughes."

Big Sam and Hughes, what year is it 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Fromvert wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the madness of this season. A team might not even need 80 points to win it.

The standard of the league is shocking this year. It's competitive and exciting alright but no stand out teams.

• Advertisement

The standard of the league is shocking this year. It's competitive and exciting alright but no stand out teams.

The standard of top level football right across Europe is below par, but very understandably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Fromvert wrote: »

Yeah seems to be the year where the top 6 are all taking points off each other and also losing games they would usually win with their eyes closed.

I think that whoever adds a top player to their squad in January who performs well till end of Season could even be the winning of the league.

Spurs have a great chance.

Everyone taking points off each other and Son and Kane assisting each other every week quietly grinding out results when expected to drop off is exactly what happened 5 years ago with Leicester grinding out results, Vardy and Mahrez assisting each other and ending up on 81pts when nobody's won it with less than 93 since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Oh I'm not saying they deserve to be - I'm saying they would be.

Fair point though, I don't know if Spurs have had any fortunate/unfortunate VAR descisions that have directly effected their total.

There's no doubting that Liverpool have had more sevear injury problems than anyone else though.

The Newcastle game was a shocking VAR decision vs spurs, that means we are down 2 points.
    But as I said it’s all part and parcel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tom1ie wrote: »
    The Newcastle game was a shocking VAR decision vs spurs, that means we are down 2 points.
    But as I said it’s all part and parcel.

You got a penalty for Kane fouling Lalana though so that gained you extra points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Spurs are like an elephant up a tree.

Nobody knows how they got there, but they will not be there for long.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You got a penalty for Kane fouling Lalana though so that gained you extra points.

Brighton had a goal that stood in that game that was absolutely laughable. If we want to go full-paranoia on it, Everton took a free kick 5 yards closer to the goal than it should have been that resulted in a cross for the winning goal against us. West Ham bought a free kick that led to their equaliser. Likewise, Lamela went down like a sack of spuds to get Martial sent off which made the task at Old Trafford much easier.

Swings and roundabouts for all clubs.

I have carefully analysed all injuries and VAR decisions, fed the numbers into a computer, pulled the lever and the results are conclusive.

No-one talks about them as much as Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have carefully analysed all injuries and VAR decisions, fed the numbers into a computer, pulled the lever and the results are conclusive.

Var Var Var

ynwa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Thats because it is impossible to watch a Liverpool game lately with it, did a game have 8 minutes added on time recently because of it? I'm sure I remember it did.

Compared to the games I watched last night I dont remember any decisions going on for minutes although I did miss Wolves penalty claim.

One penalty call for Chelsea was ruled not clear and obvious to look at, compare that to Liverpool games all calls are scrutinised down to mm decisions, this is probably because Klopp and Henderson made the mistake of speaking out after the Everton game about Var.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How did Chelsea play last night?......surprised to see them concede 2 after conceding at the weekend as well.

Were Wolves goals from good Wolves play or poor Chelsea defending?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

How did Chelsea play last night?......surprised to see them concede 2 after conceding at the weekend as well.

Were Wolves goals from good Wolves play or poor Chelsea defending?

I didn't see the game, so can't comment on the overall performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

only because we have to constantly explain why we're right, it's tiresome

Shocking? Really.

I'm starting to hear this nonsense when the winning points total looks like being less than 90 points. One of the greatest teams in English football history, Man Utd's treble winning side, won the league with 79 points.

The standard is excellent, the teams are just a bunched a bit closer together which, for me, is a good thing because it's a bit more unpredictable. As incredible as City and Liverpool have been in recent years, their title wins were a bit boring for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ebbsy wrote: »
    Spurs are like an elephant up a tree.

Nobody knows how they got there, but they will not be there for long.

lol! that really made me laugh!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement