Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

That was a wild interview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jose sounds like Trump.

That interview was brilliant :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Man U win there two games in hand Ole will have them second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There was almost as much deflection on the shot as there is in this Jose interview.

But not nearly as much combined as in your reply :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

What a bitter little man Jose is. The stats show Liverpool bossed that game. Trumpian like that interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

thelad95 wrote: »
    Perfect illustration of how much the game has passed Mourinho by. Liverpool are there to be got at at the moment and he sat back despite having the two most on form attackers in the league. Pathetic stuff to be honest.

I fully disagree. Nobody has gotten a single point from coming to Anfield this season and nobody has won in 65 games before tonight.

The game hasn't passed him by. Liverpool were excellent tonight but only scraped the win. His tactics were spot on and he's come closer than anyone to a point at Anfield this season.

I'm absolutely buzzing we won, and love that his tactics failed, but that was a top quality game of football between 2 top teams, one of which is better than the other but he set up perfectly to try and nullify it.

Many Liverpool fans would have taken a draw before the game and even during the game.

The ball doesn't hit the post or Kane manages to hit the target from 6 yards and it's completely different.

Mourinho is box office. Loved that interview. Yeah he sounds ridiculous but you love that as a fan if he's you're manager.

He's still got it. And that's why it's great to beat him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

8-10 wrote: »
    I fully disagree. Nobody has gotten a single point from coming to Anfield this season and nobody has won in 65 games before tonight.

The game hasn't passed him by. Liverpool were excellent tonight but only scraped the win. His tactics were spot on and he's come closer than anyone to a point at Anfield this season.

I'm absolutely buzzing we won, and love that his tactics failed, but that was a top quality game of football between 2 top teams, one of which is better than the other but he set up perfectly to try and nullify it.

Many Liverpool fans would have taken a draw before the game and even during the game.

The ball doesn't hit the post or Kane manages to hit the target from 6 yards and it's completely different.

Mourinho is box office. Loved that interview. Yeah he sounds ridiculous but you love that as a fan if he's you're manager.

He's still got it. And that's why it's great to beat him

Liverpool had 11 shots on target. If they had of been a little more clinical it could have been a cricket score.

Jose can only give negative energy out their is never positivity from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

6 wrote: »
    That interview was brilliant :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Other manager's really lose their minds over Jurgen! It's beautiful.

Didn't Jose have a pop at Arteta recently for saying the best team lost?

Gas.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Liverpool had 11 shots on target. If they had of been a little more clinical it could have been a cricket score.

Yeah but flip side we could have been 2-1 down right after half time then 3-1 with the post hit or Kane's header.

"on target" doesn't mean our quality of chances were better than theirs. There were more of them, sure, but I'd be raging if a Liverpool player didn't hit the target from 6 yards like Kane. Shocking miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Yeah but flip side we could have been 2-1 down right after half time then 3-1 with the post hit or Kane's header.

"on target" doesn't mean our quality of chances were better than theirs. There were more of them, sure, but I'd be raging if a Liverpool player didn't hit the target from 6 yards like Kane. Shocking miss

Kane’s chance was the easiest chance of the night, including the goals. Dreadful miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Yeah Spurs had a big 15 mins after half time where they could have scored 2 and won the game. Jose is trying to say that these minutes and these minutes only counted. If they scored they would have won the game IMO but they didn't, and you can't say teams should be winning on its and buts.

But to be fair, that was it. Liverpool had the ball for the other 70 mins and constantly trying to create and win the game. Deserved victory in the end as they took more chances than Spurs did. They were bound to, given the number of them created. 15 shots inside the box, so it wasn't like they were all pot shots from outside the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Great night of results tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Garzorico

And that ladies and gentlemen is the league right there. Was fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Haller & Benteke scoring in the same game must have had longer odds than the Euromillions do

Garzorico wrote: »
    And that ladies and gentlemen is the league right there. Was fun while it lasted.

Yep uncatchable now. 3 ahead and 75 to play for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Garzorico wrote: »

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A 19 year old who was playing non-league a year ago making his first PL start and not once did Jose get Spurs to put him under continued pressure. Being set up to counter is all well and good but it's not going to test him enough when he only has to do two or three things a half. Continued pressure is how you'll break and beat a young lad. Giving him 10-20 minutes breaks between actually defending won't.

Tough luck Jose, he'll be getting booed out of that stadium once it's full again, and the fans want some entertainment for the money they're handing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

That was an awful interview from Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Jones getting better every game , Keita has a job to move him.

I really think Jose was more upset Klopp equalled his 66 home game unbeaten run tonight than actually losing the game.

Because you just know if Spurs had won the game he would have brought that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Jones getting better every game , Keita has a job to move him.

Fit Thiago takes his place without breaking a sweat though. Fit midfield would not have Keita ahead of the initial 3-4 lads when Fab is back in the middle.

Jones may sneak in ahead of Keita into fifth spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Fit Thiago takes his place without breaking a sweat though. Fit midfield would not have Keita ahead of the initial 3-4 lads when Fab is back in the middle.

That's good company for a 19 year old, neither of those look likely to be fit for long unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Not if Kenny Cunningham has his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Amazon interviewer asking Arteta if that was a big point for Arsenal, at home to Southampton.

Top level trolling. :D

Games like that should be a wake up call to England.

They sail through the qualifiers because they're great against lesser opposition but then what happens at the tournament? They end up playing a Brazil or Portugal or Germany and can't handle it on that stage.

I look at the game tonight and who would you pick to lead your nation? Harry Kane (who isn't even captaining his club)? Or Jordan Henderson?

Southgate has gotten it wrong. Henderson has been the most consistent English player of the past 3 years and has experience of winning big trophies. I don't think forwards make good captains in general, and I think Kane is one of the best around so it's not a slight on his ability. But in heavyweight match-ups I'd want to line my team up behind Jordan every time and I don't see the same drive from Kane in these games.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Amazon interviewer asking Arteta if that was a big point for Arsenal, at home to Southampton.

Top level trolling. :D

Just seen that. Definately taking the piss. Saying that, that point probably saved his job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How great to have these lads available for rotation at some stage though. If we can ever manage to finally stop playing catch-up with injuries, the squad depth will be a massive benefit for the second half of the season. Being able to rotate in Jota up front, and all manner of options in midfield. The backline is still troublesome, but hopefully the transfer window will help rectify that. League's there for us if we can just manage to get more than the bare 11 fit for each game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Anyone got a link to Jose interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Anyone got a link to Jose interview?

Google search for "dumpster fire" and it should come up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just wanna say the VAR check for Spurs' equaliser is EXACTLY how they should be done, it's just unfortunate that we all know we're barely a week away from seeing another goal ruled offside after 5 minutes of scrutinising over a shoulder being an inch off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭This is it

Spurs are now joint top as much as Liverpool were yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Only just realised Liverpool are the only team in the league to have better than 2 points per game, and even that only barely. Fairly mad auld season.

That's the figure I've had in mind for years in judging if Pool can make top 4, and right now it'd win you the league by a hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I feel bad for a big portion of the fans on here, that header must have absolutely crushed them.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Only just realised Liverpool are the only team in the league to have better than 2 points per game, and even that only barely. Fairly mad auld season.

Also the only team in the league to have scored in every game they've played.

I also noticed that our last 4 PL games v Spurs at Anfield have all been 1-1 late in the second half only for Liverpool to break the deadlock with:

2020/21: Firmino 90'
    2019/20: Salah 75'
    2018/19: Alderweireld (OG) 90'
    2017/18: Salah 90' (+1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Watched the whole Liverpool/Spurs game, pretty poor spectacle but Fabinho was incredible I thought. Far and away the best player on the park for me.

I also noticed that our last 4 PL games v Spurs at Anfield have all been 1-1 late in the second half only for Liverpool to break the deadlock with:

The last 2 seasons games at Anfield have followed a somewhat similar pattern also. Somewhat fortuitous Spurs goal from a rare attack but periods of constant pressure from Liverpool result in goals winning the game 2-1.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Watched the whole Liverpool/Spurs game, pretty poor spectacle but Fabinho was incredible I thought. Far and away the best player on the park for me.

I though Aurier, Lloris and Wijnaldum were excellent too but Fabinho was very good alright. Who got MOTM?

I though Aurier, Lloris and Wijnaldum were excellent too but Fabinho was very good alright. Who got MOTM?

I thought Hojberg was excellent and seemed to win every tackle after he got booked which is no mean feat against waves of attacks. Jones very good too, especially first half.

If Villa, who are in the bottom half of the table, win their games in hand, they'd be 2nd a point behind Liverpool

So tight this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If Villa, who are in the bottom half of the table, win their games in hand, they'd be 2nd a point behind Liverpool

So tight this year

Chances of villa winning 3 on the bounce are about 1 in a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

So liverpool are no longer joint top then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Henderson was excellent tonight I thought, he ran that game from start to finish and clocked up some serious milage doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Brighton have never won a premier league game on a Wednesday - cheers motd for that useless stat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

niallo27 wrote: »
    Chances of villa winning 3 on the bounce are about 1 in a million.

Didn't they win their first 5 on the bounce this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Spurs and Everton are basically twins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

niallo27 wrote: »
    I feel bad for a big portion of the fans on here, that header must have absolutely crushed them.

It is surely the biggest upset in English football history given how patchwork and injury ravaged the Liverpool XI were.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement