Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

martyos121 wrote: »
    Taking a player off for a suspected concussion should result in a mandatory medical suspension of at least a week for the player's safety.

That's how you stop the rule being abused, but it's football and that makes too much sense, so it won't happen.

should be longer than a week, a team could play friday night, withdraw a player in the 75th minute for a "suspected head injury" abd then roll him out the following saturday or sunday

should be if a player is withrawn for a medical substituion they automtically miss the next game week for their own safey.

should also be position specific, no subbing on a winger for a defender etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I would have thought that concussion substitutions should have to be approved by an independent doctor.

It can't just be another substitution. It is definitely required but should be properly managed.

Are other countries using extra subs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

6 wrote: »
    Are other countries using extra subs?

The premier league is the only major league not using it even the championship is using 5 subs.

The premier league is the only major league not using it even the championship is using 5 subs.

Strange. Maybe the prem players can deal with a condensed season better than other leagues..

Smaller teams will suffer here towards the final 3rd of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Not to mention the CL & EL both allow 5 subs.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Not to mention the CL & EL both allow 5 subs.

:pac::pac: Bizarre.

"Get 3 subs done"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Going by Jamie Jackson, the way the teams voted for/against 5 subs is this;

A pretty even split of traditional top half clubs against traditional bottom half clubs.

1 Liverpool For
    2 Spurs For
    3 Saints For
    4 Leicester Against
    5 Everton For
    6 Chelsea For
    7 West Ham Against
    8 Man City For
    9 Man Utd For
    10 Wolves Against
    11 Villa Against
    12 Palace Against
    13 Leeds Against
    14 Newcastle Against
    15 Arsenal For
    16 Brighton For
    17 Fulham Against
    18 Burnley Against
    19 WBA For
    20 Sheff Utd Against

https://twitter.com/JamieJackson___/status/1339587822798323716

Didn’t Moyes say if he could vote again he would change his mind and vote for 5 subs a few weeks back.

Not that it would make a difference going by that it’s a 10/10 vote.

• Advertisement

A lot of teams fighting relegation voting against. Thought they'd want it come April/May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Leicester and Wolves stand out in the against vote, and Brighton and WBA stand out voting for. It shows its not as clear cut as 'top v bottom' clubs. All clubs should just accept it now, a 4th vote would be absurd at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Didn’t Moyes say if he could vote again he would change his mind and vote for 5 subs a few weeks back.

Not that it would make a difference going by that it’s a 10/10 vote.
    He did, but its not his decision to vote on that.

The FA have charged Cavani.
    Edinson Cavani has been charged with misconduct for a breach of FA Rule E3 in relation to a social media post on Thursday 29 November 2020.

It is alleged that, contrary to FA Rule E3.1, a comment posted on the Manchester United FC player’s Instagram page was insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute.

It is further alleged that the comment constitutes an “Aggravated Breach”, which is defined in FA Rule E3.2, as it included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin.

The striker has until Monday 4 January 2021 to provide a response to the charge

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/dec/17/edinson-cavani-charged-with-misconduct-171220

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Taking a player off for a suspected concussion should result in a mandatory medical suspension of at least a week for the player's safety.

That's how you stop the rule being abused, but it's football and that makes too much sense, so it won't happen.

That's a good idea actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I like it. They could specify at the time if it was precautionary or actual concussion. That way they could use a normal sub. If it happend in 80th minute or something etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Isn't that how it is in rugby? Theres set "Return to Play" protocols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

I tried getting amazon to swap my region over but they said I couldn’t because first they said I don’t have Prime Video and then said I don’t have a .co.uk subscription but a .com one. Even though accessing the Prime .Co.uk website works away grand. My region on the amazon app is set to United Kingdom as well.

Not sure where to post, but anyway I'm sure this will go down like a house on fire.

Klopp won Manager of the Year. Not sure what else Bayern Manager can do but win a treble and he still doesn't get it.

The clubs also voted today on a new 3 year deal with beIN sports the vote was 19 to 1 worth £367m.

That 1 against was Newcastle.

I'm guessing the Saudi's won't be coming in for a takeover for at 3 years now.

Keys & Gray get to keep their jobs in the Middle East.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The clubs also voted today on a new 3 year deal with beIN sports the vote was 19 to 1 worth £367m.

That 1 against was Newcastle.

I'm guessing the Saudi's won't be coming in for a takeover for at 3 years now.

Keys & Gray get to keep their jobs in the Middle East.

Were Newcastle holding out for more?

Collie D wrote: »
    Were Newcastle holding out for more?

Nah I think it was just a statement vote for Saudi takeover of the club being stopped due to the pirating of beIN sports by the Saudis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Nah I think it was just a statement vote for Saudi takeover of the club being stopped due to the pirating of beIN sports by the Saudis.

You did allude to that in fairness but went way over my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DM_7 wrote: »

First piece of Silverware for the Spurs Trophy cabinet this year. Think they're going to win one of the cups at least, I've a few euro on them in the EL.

Is De Gea dropped for Henderson tonight's game?

Started the last 2 and is on the bench tonight. It's hardly an injury and keepers don't really get rested. Can't get tired anyways!

Fitz* wrote: »
    Is De Gea dropped for Henderson tonight's game?

Started the last 2 and is on the bench tonight. It's hardly an injury and keepers don't really get rested. Can't get tired anyways!

From what I read he's rested. To be fair Ancelloti has been doing the same with Pickford.

No clue how it makes sense !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's a good idea actually.
    I like it. They could specify at the time if it was precautionary or actual concussion. That way they could use a normal sub. If it happend in 80th minute or something etc

That idea is how you get teams leaving players on the field with possible head injuries because they don't want to risk losing them for a full week.

In other words, the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

That idea is how you get teams leaving players on the field with possible head injuries because they don't want to risk losing them for a full week.

In other words, the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

As opposed to what currently happens? Which they do anyway.

As opposed to what currently happens? Which they do anyway.

Yes, and so they are trying to change that, not encourage it further.

Yes, and so they are trying to change that, not encourage it further.

If a player is deemed concussed they should be taking a week anyway as pointed out. Unless you are claiming clubs are playing concussed players?

If it's just precautionary they can claim that and use a standard sub as a 'just in case' situation. I don't see how any of that encourages it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not sure where to post, but anyway I'm sure this will go down like a house on fire.

Klopp won Manager of the Year. Not sure what else Bayern Manager can do but win a treble and he still doesn't get it.

I get ya but there is nothing impressive about Bayern with the league and cup so really it's Bayern winning the cl Vs Klopp ending Liverpool's 30 year title drought. I'd pick Klopp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Villa vs Burnley was like watching grass grow. Villa tried to play some bit at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ERG89 wrote: »
    Villa vs Burnley was like watching grass grow. Villa tried to play some bit at least.

Dreadful but to be expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well then.

That goalkeeping decision very quickly looks very bad.

Henderson didn't do great but why pass to him there when there is a player in the box that could close him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Comical

That is shocking by UTD

As far as mistakes go though, no better time to make one. Would still have to expect a reasonably comfortable Utd win. Had been thinking 3-0 before the game, so i'll just amend that to 3-1.

From what I read he's rested. To be fair Ancelloti has been doing the same with Pickford.

No clue how it makes sense !

To be fair, Pickford has been poor enough this season with some high profile errors so it could just easily be dropped. Rested is a bit of a nice word to skirt around the issue sometimes.

A couple of months ago, it would be easier to drop De Gea. Granted I haven't seen a whole lot of him particularly lately but he seems to have been playing better.

That decision is not looking too good right now though but probably the best time to concede if you are going to concede. 80 mins left to rectify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Henderson didn't do great but why pass to him there when there is a player in the box that could close him down.

Maguire has no sense of danger

Sheff looking like prime Barca right now

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Maguire has no sense of danger

Maguire IS the feckin danger

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yer man Rashford-Offside is very fast.

If a player is deemed concussed they should be taking a week anyway as pointed out. Unless you are claiming clubs are playing concussed players?

If it's just precautionary they can claim that and use a standard sub as a 'just in case' situation. I don't see how any of that encourages it further.

The authorities want to encourage clubs to err on the side of caution when it comes to head injuries.

Clubs are less likely to do that if it puts them at a disadvantage.

So the authorities agree a process that means the clubs aren't overly disadvantaged by removing a player who just might have a concussion.

Somebody on boards.ie thinks clubs should be disadvantaged if they do use that protocol, thus immediately negating the point of it in the first place.

I really can't explain it any simpler than that.

Smashing finish from Rashford, very good goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nice touch and finish.

Some ball by Pogba

Probably game over that. I think Ramsdale could have done better on both goals but maybe its cause I don't rate him at all.

Probably game over that. I think Ramsdale could have done better on both goals but maybe its cause I don't rate him at all.

Really poor keeper alright, and one of the big reasons for their massive drop in results since last year (along with losing O'Connell).

I'm surprised they went for him to replace Henderson actually, as he was poor the previous season with Bournemouth. He's young, and he'll get better, but he's not a man you want to rely on when you're facing a lot of shots.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really poor keeper alright, and one of the big reasons for their massive drop in results since last year.

I'm surprised they went for him to replace Henderson actually, as he was poor the previous season with Bournemouth. He's young, and he'll get better, but he's not a man you want to rely on when you're facing a lot of shots.

I never fully got how Howe decided Ramsdale was first choice and that Begovic should be sent out on loan to Kazakhstan and Italy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement