Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really poor keeper alright, and one of the big reasons for their massive drop in results since last year (along with losing O'Connell).

I'm surprised they went for him to replace Henderson actually, as he was poor the previous season with Bournemouth. He's young, and he'll get better, but he's not a man you want to rely on when you're facing a lot of shots.

I thought Henderson should have stayed at Sheffield for another season, I don't get the calls from some fans for him to be the number one keeper. Romero is a very solid keeper, absolute waste not having at least as a number two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

There has to be an independent doctor making the concussion decision. It's actually not fair to allow anyone employed in a club to make that call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought Henderson should have stayed at Sheffield for another season, I don't get the calls from some fans for him to be the number one keeper. Romero is a very solid keeper, absolute waste not having at least as a number two

Totally... another year of regular premier league football would have been better for everyone involved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Super goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Pogba world class there briefly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Through gritted teeth, but hat was beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You'd know the transfer window is coming up

Wonder how long before Brewster and/or Mousset come on to give a bit of pace on the break. Moot really, since they're 2 behind, but the way it's going now you just can't see Sheff U scoring again without a big Utd mistake. May as well give Brewster half an hour really. He needs time, and Utd are sitting back a bit more so he'll get on the ball a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Waste of a sub putting Jagielka on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sheffield United have a lot of problems with the starting XI but bringing on 38 year old Jagielka to replace Berge was an awful decision by Wilder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ole can have Man U second if they win there game in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That's my biggest bugbear with him. The fella clearly has bags of ability but most of the time doesn't bother his hole. He's angling for a move / new contract so don't be surprised to see some good performances from him over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I've a sneaky feeling Sheffield United might be relegated this season.

That's my biggest bugbear with him. The fella clearly has bags of ability but most of the time doesn't bother his hole. He's angling for a move / new contract so don't be surprised to see some good performances from him over the next few weeks.

Up there with Balotelli and Cassano (and hell, our own Steven Ireland!) for immense early 20's talent that just never quite reaches its potential, in each case due in no small part to attitude issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Up there with Balotelli and Cassano (and hell, our own Steven Ireland!) for immense early 20's talent that just never quite reaches its potential, in each case due in no small part to attitude issues.

Tbf, the three mentioned above are mad bastards, Pogba just looks like a lazy bugger alot of the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If a player is deemed concussed they should be taking a week anyway as pointed out. Unless you are claiming clubs are playing concussed players?

If it's just precautionary they can claim that and use a standard sub as a 'just in case' situation. I don't see how any of that encourages it further.

The determination of concussion takes time. The signs are not always obvious.

The rule trial would be to promote the idea that players who could have a concussion leave the field of play. The choice to sub would be initially prompted by a some sort of head impact and not have to be because of immediate symptoms.

An additional rule that says a player subbed for an assessment would not be available for the next game would mean medics will remain under presssure to keep players on the field unless they are clearly struggling.

Players who are in clear difficulty are already subbed off or just removed.

Well done Didzy!

Too little, too late. Really off-putting when they play "United, United" chants for the home side.

DM_7 wrote: »
    The determination of concussion takes time. The signs are not always obvious.

The rule trial would be to promote the idea that players who could have a concussion leave the field of play. The choice to sub would be initially prompted by a some sort of head impact and not have to be because of immediate symptoms.

An additional rule that says a player subbed for an assessment would not be available for the next game would mean medics will remain under presssure to keep players on the field unless they are clearly struggling.

Players who are in clear difficulty are already subbed off or just removed.

Ideally you'd hope that this is a sub that is taken out of a clubs hands. A neutral medic/doctor at every ground who is there to say that in their judgement "this player shouldn't continue". And that should be that.

• Advertisement

That interview 18 months ago when Chris Wilder had a few cans and said Leeds players, in particular Bamford, were "muppets", Sheffield United had steamrolled them, and referred to "bottle and bo***ks"...it seems like such a long time ago.

And yet, I still like him and think they've been unlucky. And if Bielsa leaves after this season, he could even be in the frame for the biggest job in football in that part of England...

That interview 18 months ago when Chris Wilder had a few cans and said Leeds players, in particular Bamford, were "muppets", Sheffield United had steamrolled them, and referred to "bottle and bo***ks"...it seems like such a long time ago.

And yet, I still like him and think they've been unlucky. And if Bielsa leaves after this season, he could even be in the frame for the biggest job in football in that part of England...

I never heard of the Leeds managerial job being described as ' biggest job in football in that part of England ' haha.

Deserved win for Man Utd. Sheffield United got a second out of nothing and instead of trying to play a bit to get a third just kinda hoofed and threw it long it into the box at every opportunity.
    Don't know who their sub keeper is but Ramsdale should have been left at Bournemouth. Jagielka probably shouldn't play Premier League football again either.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Deserved win for Man Utd. Sheffield United got a second out of nothing and instead of trying to play a bit to get a third just kinda hoofed and threw it long it into the box at every opportunity.
    Don't know who their sub keeper is but Ramsdale should have been left at Bournemouth. Jagielka probably shouldn't play Premier League football again either.

You think Sheffield have the players that can technically pass through United?

Of course they were going to go long

Berge and Brewster to an extent just don't feel like they are Wilder type players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

United were in total control of that game until Bruno went off. Sheffield had a lot more possession and chances after he was replaced.

• Advertisement

Ideally you'd hope that this is a sub that is taken out of a clubs hands. A neutral medic/doctor at every ground who is there to say that in their judgement "this player shouldn't continue". And that should be that.

It would help massively to have a medic there to identify what players should be taken off for assessment.

Surprised the temporary sub was not the option taken.

You think Sheffield have the players that can technically pass through United?

Of course they were going to go long

Give it in the right areas. 30 or 40 yard throws ins or straight 50 yard punts up the pitch haven't worked for them all season, tonight was the first time they scored twice this season. How about giving taking a short throw instead of giving United time to reset as Robinson came up, whiped the ball and threw it long and maybe a crazy thought crossing it from a good angle instead of long diagonal passes
    They made one or two chances early on passing the ball so its not like they were completely incapable tonight.

I never heard of the Leeds managerial job being described as ' biggest job in football in that part of England ' haha.

Going through larger Yorkshire clubs...Wednesday, Hull, Huddersfield, Sheff United, and nearby clubs like Forest, Derby and 'Boro, the Leeds job would be the biggest.

I guess, being completely dwarfed by a rival within few hundred metres, local bragging rights isn't really a thing at Everton.

Going through larger Yorkshire clubs...Wednesday, Hull, Huddersfield, Sheff United, and nearby clubs like Forest, Derby and 'Boro, the Leeds job would be the biggest.

I guess, being completely dwarfed by a rival within few hundred metres, local bragging rights isn't really a thing at Everton.

Oh dear, you're making it worse. You're trying to make it personal to the club I support.

I stand by my original statement of ever hearing of a Job being the "biggest in the area"

Oh dear, you're making it worse. You're trying to make it personal to the club I support.

I stand by my original statement of ever hearing of a Job being the "biggest in the area"

The regional thing is pretty big in football, so fans of Newcastle, Boro and Sunderland invoke it a frequently, as do fans of London clubs, or even Bristol, East Anglia etc.

Have you really never heard, say, Arsenal fans saying their latest signing joined "the biggest club in London"? Seriously? Never ever ever?

Is it possible you're being a little facetious and you've overreached with that one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Week 13 highlights
    Wolves V Chelsea

Man City V WBA

Arsenal V Southampton

Leeds V Newcastle

Leicester V Everton

Fulham V Brighton

Liverpool V Spurs

West Ham V Palace

Villa V Burnley

Sheff Utd V Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

28 Liverpool
    25 Spurs
    24 Southampton Leicester
    23 Everton Man Utd
    22 Chelsea
    21 West Ham
    20 Man City Wolves
    19 Villa
    18 Palace
    17 Leeds Newcastle
    14 Arsenal
    11 Brighton
    10 Burnley
    9 Fulham
    7 WBA
    1 Sheff Utd

We are down to 4 teams who can hit 100 points

Liverpool (103), Spurs (100), Man Utd (101) and Villa (100)

The regional thing is pretty big in football, so fans of Newcastle, Boro and Sunderland invoke it a frequently, as do fans of London clubs, or even Bristol, East Anglia etc.

Have you really never heard, say, Arsenal fans saying their latest signing joined "the biggest club in London"? Seriously? Never ever ever?

Is it possible you're being a little facetious and you've overreached with that one?

Absolutely. Heard those sayings. Still stupid.

Still standby never heard of the biggest job position tho.

Edit: Just to add, don't you always mention how stupid regional stuff is in England etc when you're not from there? Yet you brought it up to suit an argument against Everton because I support them. That's funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

A bit late to the party here but that Jose interview last night was a complete embarrassment

I was hoping when he left United it'd be the last time we'd see him in the PL

He brings nothing to the league, unless you consider anti-football and acting like a complete tool entertainment

El Sueño wrote: »

He brings nothing to the league

Except being one of the most successful managers of this generation, but other yeh other than that absolutely nothing.

El Sueño wrote: »
    A bit late to the party here but that Jose interview last night was a complete embarrassment

I was hoping when he left United it'd be the last time we'd see him in the PL

He brings nothing to the league, unless you consider anti-football and acting like a complete tool entertainment

He's such a tricky character to dissect in terms of what he brings, and what it's worth - but he definitely does bring a lot. He's a total 'heel' character, which you need in any sport/entertainment. You gotta have a baddie. And I really quite liked him for that for the first few years. It was all very showy, and quite pantomime. He's very smart, and very charismatic, and uses those talents well to keep narratives turning, which is a big part of being a good heel.

But he totally lost me when he started using this stuff in ways that very actively hurt peoples careers and personal lives, like Jon Fearn, Eva Carneiro, and Anders Fris. It was all so calculated and horrible and self-serving.

In each case - the box office 'us against the world' stuff, and the more genuinely malicious stuff, he knows exactly what he's doing, which makes it very hard to look past for me. I can somewhat understand the rush of blood things, like his poke in Vilanova's eye, but not the colder crueler treatment of those named above.

So because of that more callous side of his personality, I'd personally prefer he was just gone from football and I didn't have to see or hear about him anymore. But I totally get what he brings to the league... he brings interest, and eyeballs, and a brand of football that in the short term (particularly with a packed chaotic season, and dropping fitness and pressing levels) is very very effective.

Absolutely. Heard those sayings. Still stupid.

Still standby never heard of the biggest job position tho.

Edit: Just to add, don't you always mention how stupid regional stuff is in England etc when you're not from there? Yet you brought it up to suit an argument against Everton because I support them. That's funny.

Everton fan claims regional rivalry is "stupid" at 1am.

Comes back over an hour later later to claim I've always said regional rivalry is stupid.
    Oh dear, you're making it worse.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I must be the only one that thought that the Spurs Liverpool match was a cagey interesting affair that could have went either way and was very enjoyable because of it. In here all I see is the usual anti Mourinho and anti-football guff.

Spurs had their gameplan and I can't see how it was the wrong gameplan, it was pretty damn close to being successful. A big deflection for Salahs goal, Bergwijn's chance going just the wrong side of the post, Harry Kane missing a free header in front of goal. Conceding a last minute header. Thats how it goes sometimes but I can't agree with the people using the end result to decide that everything that came before was wrong, because that exact same game could easily have played out to a Spurs victory.

Mod: Conor74 and Shanotheslayer. You both can take it to PM now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

wow, Thiago getting into the FIFA World XI after only 1.5 games with Liverpool,

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1339648033030586368?s=20

phenomenal stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Big weekend ahead,
    Liverpool need to pick up an away win something they seem incapable of this season since the opening awy fixture

United are slowly creeping right into it

Well, yes, he's obviously in that team for his performances with Bayern, but would you expect Liverpool's official site just to ignore him (he is their player now after all) while congratulating the other 3? Wouldn't that be just weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Well, yes, he's obviously in that team for his performances with Bayern, but would you expect Liverpool's official site just to ignore him (he is their player now after all) while congratulating the other 3? Wouldn't that be just weird?

I believe he is in there solely for the second half v Chelsea tbqh

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    I believe he is in there solely for the second half v Chelsea tbqh

True, what a performance that was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

So we're saying that 4 of the world's best lineup have been injured for multiple games this season and we're top?

8-10 wrote: »
    So we're saying that 4 of the world's best lineup have been injured for multiple games this season and we're top?

Imagine if we lost any key players to injury? I'm glad it's just the lads in the World XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm honestly amazed that there's a LB in football who has been better than Andy Robertson this year. He's really pushed on and this season particularly he's been incredible.

I must be the only one that thought that the Spurs Liverpool match was a cagey interesting affair that could have went either way and was very enjoyable because of it. In here all I see is the usual anti Mourinho and anti-football guff.

Spurs had their gameplan and I can't see how it was the wrong gameplan, it was pretty damn close to being successful. A big deflection for Salahs goal, Bergwijn's chance going just the wrong side of the post, Harry Kane missing a free header in front of goal. Conceding a last minute header. Thats how it goes sometimes but I can't agree with the people using the end result to decide that everything that came before was wrong, because that exact same game could easily have played out to a Spurs victory.

Jose's play a very limiting style of football. He has had a focus from the 00's that having the ball can be a weakness in these games, letting the opponent have the ball leaves them open to the counter attack, letting them have the ball allows his side to focus on containment and stopping the opponent play in the way they want to. It can be effective ploy. See the game v Man City.

Versus Chelsea it saw a 0-0 and against Liverpool they came out the wrong side of the result. So three games, all three outcomes experienced. Across three games Spurs managed 5 shots on the goal. Had little of the ball and v Chelsea they were particularly toothless as Chelsea are looser in possession and let them have a bit more of the ball than City or Liverpool.

While allowing the opponent focus on having the ball and containment is his choice it is also the case that since his very effective system of the 00's right through to Inter Milan, that the style favoured by he and Benitez has inspired managers to find ways to counter that ploy and be more incisive. I don't think he was wrong in any game but it does leave the team in a position where they have limited scope to go and win the game.

Liverpool are a quality side, if you concede the ball to them it can be no surprise at the end to find that letting them have three quarters of the ball resulted in them scoring two goals. Liverpool had over 800 passes. Spurs just over 250 and as low as 61% success in passes.

5 shots on goal in 3 games is damning. Spurs have a quality team imo. Just horrible to watch at times.

They should have been attacking Liverpool from the start, exposing some of the more inexperienced players.

Those tactics all down to the manager who is using a yesterday's man approach.

I know some Spurs fans, and they are split over Mourinho. Two hate him, two love him! I think he's a hold your nose when getting results type manager. Throw in a bit of seige mentality and set the timer to 3 years. It has been fruitful in the past. Is his time over though? Time will soon tell.

• Advertisement

Jose is Jose he will be loved by supporters for two seasons then he won’t and he will leave or be sacked.

History repeats itself with Jose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement