Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's a winner and a really really bad sore loser. Pep is the same, Klopp is the same and Ferguson was but Mourinho is another level. He was out of the spotlight with Spurs last season but he's back in it now and it didn't take long for him to show the real Jose again.
    I'm not sure I buy that his style of football isn't effective anymore, he wins everywhere he has been. Its not attractive to watch sure, especially the top of the table away games but we have become used to high press game Pep and Klopp employ.
    Provided Son and Kane avoid lengthy injuries he will have Spurs up there this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

This Spurs team really reminds me of Liverpool between 07 and 09, brilliant at times but won't win anything due to an over-reliance on two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Markitron wrote: »
    This Spurs team really reminds me of Liverpool between 07 and 09, brilliant at times but won't win anything due to an over-reliance on two players.

Cant win a league with Dier at the back too, credit to Jose though he has transformed him from **** to average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I like to think of Jose and his tactics as an entertaining bad guy. His style and manner can grind people down but he's there to be taken on. Liverpool went out to beat them, others like Chelsea wimped out and mirrored them.

It was an entertaining game and it was fantastic to win. Maybe made better because of Jose's style. Like beating a tough boss on a 38 level computer game.

I don't think he's bad for the game. Houllier and Benitez were on the same spectrum of play (different personalities obvs) and I loved when they went well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Markitron wrote: »

Yes Alonso and Mascherano were exceptional players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I always remember someone posting saying Mane is a better goalscorer when he has no time to think.

That goal reminds me of it there. Some snap of a finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Bobby starts it off, fantastic ball from Robertson, amazing touch and finish from Firmino. Cracking goal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Diogo who ?

If anything thus injury crisis has shown Liverpool have some squad.
    Thiago close to a return too and ox on the bench .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

3-0 up at Selhurst Park. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

You just love to see that head to head with Trent and van Aanholt and neither play backing down or throwing themselves on the ground. Fair to the ref for leaving the cards in the pocket too. I really miss that physical/mental battle in the modern game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

3-0 at Selhurst Park. Has anyone got eyes on Damien Delaney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

palace must have had their Xmas party last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ebbsy wrote: »
    palace must have had their Xmas party last night

They haven't played that badly to be honest. First goal was a bit scrappy alright but the Mane and Firmino goals were just some great play from Liverpool. In between that Palace have looked dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Getting used to seeing Bobby's teeth again!!

Annilhation.

Didn't see this coming at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

They haven't played that badly to be honest. First goal was a bit scrappy alright but the Mane and Firmino goals were just some great play from Liverpool. In between that Palace have looked dangerous.

Up front they've been a bit sloppy, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Statement win here from Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Bit sneaky for the video director to show a shot of Mane on the bench just after Salah scored... trying to push a narrative that the lads don't get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Statement win here from Liverpool.

Amazing what they are accomplishing in the midst of this injury crisis. Extraordinary display of grit from all involved.

Worldie by Salah.

Similar to the one against Chelsea

• Advertisement

Even Roy is having a laugh at this. Is the 9-0 on, ala 1989?

Is this what happens when the non-European teams have to play twice in a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was a bit gutted when I saw the team sheet earlier since I’ve Salah as captain in FF - worked out alright though!

6 subs made at 4 different times in the second half

Cahill down injured for 2mins

4 goals scored in the half

How on earth did the 4th official come up with 1min to be added on at the end??

Joke of a decision and the inconsistency of PL officials continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Best team lost:pac:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was a bit gutted when I saw the team sheet earlier since I’ve Salah as captain in FF - worked out alright though!

Don't mention the war man. :(

8-10 wrote: »
    6 subs made at 4 different times in the second half

Cahill down injured for 2mins

4 goals scored in the half

How on earth did the 4th official come up with 1min to be added on at the end??

Joke of a decision and the inconsistency of PL officials continues

You see it all the time. It's to put the losing team out of their misery. I don't agree with it at all.

GD matters

Now 4 goals ahead of Spurs in goal difference.

Can't be joint top for Christmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Savage from Liverpool. Beat Spurs to put themselves clear and burst any goal difference 'advantage' Spurs had previously.

• Advertisement

Spurs must be fuming. Guaita an absolute god against them and doesn't do anything there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Now 4 goals ahead of Spurs in goal difference.

Can't be joint top for Christmas

A draw today would have meant Liverpool were top at Xmas

xabi wrote: »
    A draw today would have meant Liverpool were top at Xmas

3 years running now. T'is the season

Spurs must be fuming. Guaita an absolute god against them and doesn't do anything there

Salah's header maybe the one he should do better with but it's still point blank. Not sure who would save any of the other goals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

No hope with any of them in fairness.

Salah's header maybe the one he should do better with but it's still point blank. Not sure who would save any of the other goals
    No hope with any of them in fairness.

Bobbys chip was completely saveable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Maybe but Bobby took the 64 degree lob wedge out, hard to save that.

Doesn't matter anyway they were dead and buried before he could do anything.

It reminded me of Salah's in the CL quarter final v Man City a few years ago at the Ethiad.

Pretty hard to save that at a minimum. You can't exactly stay standing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Thought the best team lost :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Spurs, City and United have League Cup during the week while Liverpool can rest.

On a serious note, that game was the perfect advocate for the 5 subs.

At 5-0 up and 30 mins to go, Liverpool could rest players and Palace could rest the likes of Zaha etc. The game was over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

apart from Kanes goal

Great start to the weekend :)

Fancy Southampton to score in this game, but maybe City will just have enough to win it. They are more familiar with the 3 games in a week routine.

Attacking teams named by both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Nice to see Klopp not whinging and even though he was trying not to engage too much with interviewer, he is happy at least, no one likes a disgruntled Klopp

Nice to see Klopp not whinging and even though he was trying not to engage too much with interviewer, he is happy at least, no one likes a disgruntled Klopp

No injuries 7-0 win, top for Christmas and next game schedule is Sunday - Wednesday - Monday so 3 games in over 15 days

Very little to complain about

Yeah he saved a good few shots against Spurs but he basically threw in Kane's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Wonder why no pen for that challenge on Ings,high foot to the face area.. Ings too honest, another player would have held his face and a peno would be inevitable I feel.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wonder why no pen for that challenge on Ings,high foot to the face area.. Ings too honest, another player would have held his face and a peno would be inevitable I feel.

Nothing to do with honesty, it's to do with a new expectation that VAR is actually working. It and unsurprisingly Mike Dean have taken a holiday today.

I think the sterling hand ball/ball to hand is given a few weeks ago too when they were being very rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I know it's City but I'm really happy they're not giving penalties for these 'handball' incidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Doubt remond could be doing any worse if he tried since he came on

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement