Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I'd say Arsenal fans couldn't give a flying f00k about the result tbh. All the Arsenal relegation talk on here lately is surely nothing but a wind up, they will be nowhere near being relegated, I think that's quite obvious.

They're pretty lucky how bad some of the teams are this season otherwise who knows where they could be come May. Sheffield , West Brom & Fulham are all in a much worse position than Arsenal and look guaranteed to be heading down.

But the fact Arsenal are even entering the conversation of relegation is a serious concern. Surprised how quiet the media are on Arteta out. If Man Utd lose later today, everybody will be all over Ole out and it'll probably be trending on Twitter again despite us being very close to the top with a game in hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Aurier making an "Aurier error". Gift for Vardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That has to be a given as a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Classic Aurier

cj maxx wrote: »
    I don't think arsenal will go down, but I'm sure Leeds and Newcastle both thought they'd survive and were too big to go down. This arsenal team don't have the fight to get out of a relegation battle

Man United and Spurs in the 70s, Leeds in the 80s and 00s, double European Cup winners Forest, League and European Cup winners Aston Villa, Newcastle a couple of times. Man City, West Ham...a club thinking it's big on the basis of 50k plus in the gates and all those trophies in the cabinet room is not immune from going down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its been a while since I've listened to a commentary game on Newstalk but I was just in the car there for a bit.

How are people here pronouncing Ndombele?`I always go with the Uk commentators and just straight out as it looks, but the 2 lads are going full En-dom-bellay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

So stupid from Aurier. That's the half time team talk ripped up anyways.

Then again, it's Jose and Spurs. The lack of fans in stadiums is actually somewhat helping them as it allows Jose to play the tactics he has of 9 players sitting behind the ball and just wait to see if the 2 world class forwards can conjure up something and score. Sit back again and hit teams on the counter. If the Spurs fans were in the stadium, they wouldn't stand for that sort of set up at home.

I don't think arsenal will go down, but I'm sure Leeds and Newcastle both thought they'd survive and were too big to go down. This arsenal team don't have the fight to get out of a relegation battle

Arsenal havnt nearly spent themselves out of business like Leeds though. Theyll just change managers and if need be buy a couple of players in January. Theyre not going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Arsenal havnt nearly spent themselves out of business like Leeds though. Theyll just change managers and if need be buy a couple of players in January. Theyre not going down.

Big Sam should pass on West Brom and hold out for arsenal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Bale on for ndombele half time sup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Leicester first goal scored at 49 mins and second goal scored at 48 mins!

Edit: VAR rules it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Its been a while since I've listened to a commentary game on Newstalk but I was just in the car there for a bit.

How are people here pronouncing Ndombele?`I always go with the Uk commentators and just straight out as it looks, but the 2 lads are going full En-dom-bellay

That's how I have always heard it pronounced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Var joke. His feet look two yards onside but his fingernail is off

Madison var offsi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why was Son not like that on Wednesday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Var is a joke really

Gio off Moura on super sub coys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lads,

Where did the Leeds and United rivalry stem from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You play Aurier, you run that risk.

Spurs were as solid as ever, with Leicester offering little, but have been screwed by stupidity.

Tough ask now against a team that won't keep a line quite as high as Liverpool's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lads,

Yorkshire v Lancashire. Fans have clashed previously at games too. Intense enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Lads,

Two rival cadet branches of the House of Plantagenet

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Lads,

The War of the Roses, Lancashire and Yorkshire is historical but football was very tribal back in the 70's when both were bigish clubs.

Haven't even fully got to Christmas yet and Spurs have already bottled any chance of winning the league

2-0.

Ah José.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just wanna say the VAR check for Spurs' equaliser is EXACTLY how they should be done, it's just unfortunate that we all know we're barely a week away from seeing another goal ruled offside after 5 minutes of scrutinising over a shoulder being an inch off.

I hate to say I told you so :o

• Advertisement

Kane should have been pushing that left instead of taking the shot imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yorkshire v Lancashire. Fans have clashed previously at games too. Intense enough.
    ceegee wrote: »
    Two rival cadet branches of the House of Plantagenet
    mags1962 wrote: »
    The War of the Roses, Lancashire and Yorkshire is historical but football was very tribal back in the 70's when both were bigish clubs.

Cheers lads, I had no idea where it actually came from and was chatting about it last night. Never really knew why

I was like, must be cause Cantona went to United :pac:

Basically, Son and Kane haven't been as exceptional as they've been all season, so the system just kind of peters out a bit.

Var joke. His feet look two yards onside but his fingernail is off

They changed the rules , regarding an accidental hand ball ( which is not a foul ) in the buildup to a goal meaning it won't count. They have to change the offside rule.
    If your feet are onside you are ruled onside, that's it .
    Doesn't matter if you score with your head, shoulder or arse , if your feet are on ,you are!
    This toenail sh1t has to be fixed.
    Maddison had a great goal ruled out because his shoulder was millimetres ahead. BS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

They changed the rules , regarding an accidental hand ball ( which is not a foul ) in the buildup to a goal meaning it won't count. They have to change the offside rule.
    If your feet are onside you are ruled onside, that's it .
    Doesn't matter if you score with your head, shoulder or arse , if your feet are on ,you are!
    Maddison had a great goal ruled out because his shoulder was millimetres ahead. BS

Completely agree. It's a mockery. I'm sceptical about how they draw those lines as well.

• Advertisement

if your feet are on ,you are!.......

so he was off and its grand? :)

Lets be honest, youll be giving out when its just his feet and thats a close call too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Can Gareth Bale run anymore or was he brought back to hit long range self indulgent free kicks?

Harry Kane running around like a mad man, he's shattered when he does get on the ball. Bale is walking about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Good to see Bergwijn getting the 'what have you done for me lately' treatment

Why was Son not like that on Wednesday night

He was

He's actually been poor over ninety minutes for a few games now, but one or two lethal moments a game are covering up a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Just get rid of VAR. Linesmen are trained to make the decision so let them do it. Sometimes they'll be right and sometimes they'll be wrong. But the decision will be made instantly.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Can Gareth Bale run anymore or was he brought back to hit long range self indulgent free kicks?

Bale is walking about.

Hes a golfer. They walk everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Shocker from Tielemans

8-10 wrote: »
    Just get rid of VAR. Linesmen are trained to make the decision so let them do it. Sometimes they'll be right and sometimes they'll be wrong. But the decision will be made instantly.

For 100 years linesmen have missed offsides, it just wasnt scrutised and people accepted it.

Its just not possible for a person to watch 5 or 10 seperate players, as well as another one with the ball anywhere from 0 to 60m away or more all at the same time to determine exactly when they are hitting the ball and where all those players are. It's educated guesswork.

I like Vardys penalty taking style, just smash it and none of the stuttering or little hop nonsense

From joint top of the table at 8pm last Wednesday to what could be 5th by 6:30pm on Sunday that won't have been a good few days for Jose.

The park the bus and hit on the counter can't count on deflected goals, headless chicken defending, OG's and 90th minute bullet headers and the only two attacking players form dropping off.

• Advertisement

so he was off and its grand? :)

Lets be honest, youll be giving out when its just his feet and thats a close call too.

No I wouldn't. Draw lines and if his feet are off, he's off.
    This crap of his shoulder being offside makes var a ball up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Such dour stuff from spurs,zero bravery out there.

Bale looks like he has been a waste of a loan deal and money so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'd have it that there must be sunlight between defender and attacker when ball is passed.

Why will the lines work for the feet but not the shoulders?

Best team lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Spurs have dropped eight points in a week.

If you want to win a league, you can't keep that up.

For 100 years linesmen have missed offsides, it just wasnt scrutised and people accepted it.

Yep that's what I miss

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Leicester well worth their win Spurs were not at the races.

Better team won today for sure.

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Best team lost

Has a Jose team ever not been the best in a game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement